FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[WARNING] Samsung 4.0.4 firmwares (Official / Leaked) may lead to HARDBRICK

2,821 posts
Thanks Meter: 12,551

By googy_anas, Recognized Developer on 7th July 2012, 12:00 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
To all of i9100 users having flashed the latest 4.0.4 firmware (Official / Leaked) with stock kernel, PLEASE BE AWARE that using cwm to erase data/factory reset OR to restore a nandroid backup MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE !!!! Trust me, I just got mine bricked and by searching a litlle bit I discovered I'm not the only one -> see here and here ... and the number is growing ...

Actually confirmed firmwares having the emmc bug :
XXLQ5/6/7/B - ZCLPL - XWLPM/O/T/U - MUGLD3‎(?)

Here's how to BRICK your phone :
-Flash the 4.0.4 firmware with/without its pit file
-Use any 4.0.4 based kernel - stock or modified (ex cf-root)
-Go to cwm and do a wipe data & wipe cache and/or perform a nandroid restore of any previous firmware
=> The process begins normally but it may/will switch off at any time without waking up ever again !!!!!

Symptoms of 4.0.4 HARDBRICK :
-Phone dead
-No power up
-No boot
-No download mode (odin mode)
-No charging (usb/ac)
-Not detectable by pc / jtag
-Usb jig & jtag useless
-With battery(charged) inserted, phone(off) gets hot near the camera lens
-JUST A PIECE OF PLASTIC !!!!
-You feel really stupid about trying all this new stuff

And now here's how to avoid 4.0.4 hardbrick :
-DO NOT flash any stock 4.0.4 firmware
-If on 4.0.4 stock firmware, keep away from stock kernel (ex: use siyah kernel or latest speedmod)
-Use "eMMC Brickbug Check" app to verify whether you have an insane ship or not
-Backup your apps (titanium backup) and backup all (cwm) and copy all data from internal sdcard
-DO NOT wipe any partition or data
-Flash any official 4.0.3 stock firmware in download mode via odin (do not use mobile odin)
-Do not get tempted again by any unsafe leaked or official firmware !!!

Downgrade from 4.0.4 :
-Reboot the phone in download mode (Home+Vol.Down+Power)
-Use Odin to flash a safe kernel (ex. siyah) then reboot to cwm (Home+Vol.Up+Power)
-Optionally do a nandroid backup then perform a data wipe/factory reset
-Use advanced menu in cwm to reboot in download mode to flash your preferred "safe" firmware

While waiting for someone to find a way to revive such bricked phones, I hope you guys take care of your precious S2, you only know its value when it's gone
The Following 202 Users Say Thank You to googy_anas For This Useful Post: [ View ]

7th July 2012, 12:21 AM |#2  
Flag I'm Up There Eh?
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by googy_anas

To all of i9100 users having flashed the leaked 4.0.4 firmware, PLEASE BE AWARE that using cwm to erase date/factory reset OR to restore a nandroid backup WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE !!!! Trust me, I just got mine bricked and by searching a litlle bit I discovered I'm not the only one -> see here and here

Let's just hope someone finds a way to revive such bricked phones

Thanks for the heads up mate!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to protomanez For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift protomanez Ad-Free
7th July 2012, 12:30 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 132

More
I used nandroid to do a restore after messing with mods and it didn't brick.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to drelite08 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drelite08 Ad-Free
7th July 2012, 12:34 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 699

More
So, is there any safe way to get LQ5 downgraded to LPG?

I have been running LQ5, but this has me a little worried.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelite08

I used nandroid to do a restore after messing with mods and it didn't brick.

You were on LPQ and did a nandroid restore to LPG? (or what version was the restore?)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donalgodon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift donalgodon Ad-Free
7th July 2012, 12:36 AM |#5  
Flag Sydney, Australia
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalgodon

So, is there any safe way to get LQ5 downgraded to LPG?

I have been running LQ5, but this has me a little worried.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

You were on LPQ and did a nandroid restore to LPG? (or what version was the restore?)

Flash it with Odin?
7th July 2012, 12:37 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 132

More
I'm on LQ5. It has both restored to LPS (new argo one) back up and a second back up I made before trying the mods. Both were fine. Using Phenom 5.5 medium.

7th July 2012, 12:50 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 699

More
So, is it the manual formatting of the partitions or the nandroid restore that causes this?
7th July 2012, 12:50 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
i flashed LQ5 4.0.4 with odin, tried it out for 20 mins, then flashed latest fluxi through odin, then restored CM9 backup. all good for me
m.kochan10
7th July 2012, 12:53 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I've run LQ5, full wiped, restored nand backups several times today without any problems, but maybe I was just lucky. Anyway, time to run Odin, apologize LPG and wait for official. Don't wanna risk the brick.
7th July 2012, 12:54 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 175

More
And here is nr3 who bricked his phone with 4.0.4LQ5 kernel.
It happens with both stock and CFkernel(=99%stock) LQ5...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post28383119
(Read post 5836 and futher)
7th July 2012, 01:13 AM |#11  
Flag Dumfries and Galoway
Thanks Meter: 56

More
this is good work, Well done author for speaking out, too many senior members flying round this forum banging on about how good a rom this is and that its legite, im sorry you bricked your phone, i hope you revive it.
I DIDNT flash this, because i saw the 8gb pit file and immediatley alarm bells rang out, that is not the stock samsung pit file, and i argued this with someone who insisted it was all legite, i know u dont need to use the pit file anyway, but the fact remained if the pit file was dodgy, the rest could have been, so i avoided it, and im glad i did.

This happened with a rom and kernel for ics on the galaxy note, UNFORTUNATLEY the phones were hard bricked when they did a cwm wipe and even a jtag service could not revive them.

FOR ANYONE whos flashed and done a nandroid, restore it, DO NOT DO A WIPE, and run ya restore and keep to oit for now, for anyone who didnt do a restore then im very sorry for yous, but i dont think there will be a fix, it usually requires a new mainboard, anyone who hasnt flashed this yet, ignore ALL OF THE other posts youve read about how good this rom is, DONT EVEN go there, avoid LQ5 if you can.

I really hope a fix can be found for you all.
The Following User Says Thank You to graemeg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift graemeg Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)