[A] Can't Defrost apps with Titanium Backup on ICS

Search This thread

lukutso

Apr 27, 2015
help!

hello everyone i really need help! when i was in the task manager on "rom toolbox" i accidentally froze something i believe to be apart of the system now my background of the phone is black and there is now bar where wifi battery time or notifications show, please someone help i have a samsung galaxy note 4 for tmobile

spiral mind

Dec 11, 2015
I had the same problem with my Titanium Backup. I couldn't freeze or defrost frozen apps neither could I uninstall apps.
I found a solution on this thread :
http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/help/uninstall-apps-titanium-backup-cm11-t2602670 .
Funny thing is that I installed Selinux Mode Changer, changed the mode to "PERMISSIVE" , I rebooted the phone and still TB wouldn't do anything.
So today, after one week, after my phone went off by low battery, I turned it on again and found a message on the notification bar saying that Selinux has changed the mode to permissive (or sth like that).
I opened TB and everything is working !!! Freezing, defrosting, uninstalling !!!

grossdm

Nov 11, 2010
I used to struggle to defrost apps on KitKat!

I did so much of what has been described with packages.xml, though I did not try other apps to defrost.

I randomly tried something in TiBu that fixed the problem for me instantly.

In the menu I selected "reload apps list" - it then defrosted the problem app just like normal. I couldn't believe it, after spending so much time trying to tweak that packages.xml file (and whatever else I had tried).

I hope this works for someone else having defrost troubles.

Best of luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I didn't notice anyone had a posted a solution to this problem, so I thought I'd do so in case anyone else ran into it.

I was able to freeze apps fine with Titanium Backup on the latest ICS leak (XXLPB as of right now) but ran into some problems when I wanted to defrost them. Titanium Backup said they were defrosted successfully but they still were listed as frozen and didn't appear in the app drawer.

Here is how to solve the problem:
    1. Find /data/system/packages.xml with Root Explorer or an equivalent
    2. Make a backup of packages.xml right away in the same folder in case we mess anything up any need to restore it later
    3. Copy packages.xml onto the root of your internal or external storage
    4. Plug your device into your computer and copy packages.xml from the root of your storage over to your computer
    5. Open the packages.xml on your computer with your editor of choice - I suggest Notepad++
    6. Search for the string {enabled="2"} (without the { }). Every line ending in this represents a frozen app. The lines should look something like this:
    Code:
    <package name="com.sec.android.widgetapp.socialhub" codePath="/system/app/SocialHubWidget.apk" nativeLibraryPath="/data/data/com.sec.android.widgetapp.socialhub/lib" flags="1" ft="11b7e237e00" it="11b7e237e00" ut="11b7e237e00" version="1" sharedUserId="10001" [COLOR="Red"]enabled="2"[/COLOR]>
    7. Now for every app you wish to unfreeze, replace {enabled="2"} with {enabled="1"} (again, without the {})
    7. Save packages.xml, move it back onto your phone's storage, and use Root Explorer or an equivalent to replace your original packages.xml at /data/system/packages.xml with your new one
    8. Reboot

Props to olympicchicken for getting me most of the way to the answer: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20771481&postcount=113

***UPDATE*** Feb 29, 2011
    See this post for a way to freeze and unfreeze system apps without messing with the packages.xml file. Thanks polzovotel.
    There is a nice option in in the ICS rom itself - to disable/enable applications. So there is no need to deal with the packages.xml file - just use native interface:

For me - working w/o any issues.
    Hi all,

Check out Titanium Backup 4.8.4 which performs ICS-friendly freezing now. Also in case you cannot defrost an app, check out Power defrost in the Batch menu :)
    D
    Deleted member 657471
    Power Defrost seems to be the only way to do it.
    Defrosting via Power Defrost

Someone suggested in here to use the power defrost in the batch operation of TB. I tried it and it works.

I think this is the best solution instead od uninstalling, install and then restore.

Thanks!