[Q] Accessing internal memory.

Search This thread

Xtri

Mar 25, 2014
I have a loop error problem with my Galaxy S2.

I need to access the internal memory because I have some pictures there I really want to save (no SD card on it).

I cannot get the phone into safe mode, I think I've tried about every way (Volume down after power up, menu after powerup, home after powerup ect)

I also cannot access the phone through Kies, it just stands on connecting 24/7. It would probably be possible if I could access the settings menu on the phone but it's impossible, no way to get through the loop errors.

So.. I am wonder if there is any way I can get access to the internal memory? I don't really care if I brick the phone aslong as I can get access to the pictures.

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
If you can enter recovery (power, vol up and home key combo) you can go to "mounts and storage" and you should see something like this....
uploadfromtaptalk1395781215571.jpg
If you do, select
"mount /storage/sdcard0"
and then connect your phone to your PC via USB cable......you should be able to access those files you want.....

Sent from my Markox powered KitKatted S2

Xtri

Mar 25, 2014
If you can enter recovery (power, vol up and home key combo) you can go to "mounts and storage" and you should see something like this....
View attachment 2649957
If you do, select
"mount /storage/sdcard0"
and then connect your phone to your PC via USB cable......you should be able to access those files you want.....

I managed to get into safe mode now still errors come up, so that's a no go.

I can get into recovery but it's stock rom/everything and I only have the 4 normal options:

reboot system now
apply update from sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
Try to flash a custom kernel (it will have CWM included)....
Once you have that, you can enter CWM and try what I originally suggested......if you are running JB, PhilZ kernels are a good choice as you can use your existing recovery to flash them.......

Xtri

Mar 25, 2014
Try to flash a custom kernel (it will have CWM included)....
Once you have that, you can enter CWM and try what I originally suggested......if you are running JB, PhilZ kernels are a good choice as you can use your existing recovery to flash them.......

Everything is stock, don't I need to wipe the whole phone to flash to CWM?

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
No.....that is why I suggested PhilZ.....his kernels are stock kernels with added root and CWM......
But most of the kernels he has modified are JB kernels.....though there are a *few* ICS........

Xtri

Mar 25, 2014
No.....that is why I suggested PhilZ.....his kernels are stock kernels with added root and CWM......
But most of the kernels he has modified are JB kernels.....though there are a *few* ICS........

Mind giving me a quick guide and maybe a link how to get it together quick with PhilZ? Would really appriciate it, I've been sitting here for hours like a retard trying to find a solution.

Xtri

Mar 25, 2014

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
The link you posted is for the main thread......there are "device specific" links that will redirect you back to the link I provided.......
And DON'T attempt to flash anything until you can find out what version of android the phone is running, and what "build" of the OS it is.......
If you can boot back into safe mode and get to "settings -- about device" all the info you need is there......

Xtri

Mar 25, 2014
The link you posted is for the main thread......there are "device specific" links that will redirect you back to the link I provided.......
And DON'T attempt to flash anything until you can find out what version of android the phone is running, and what "build" of the OS it is.......
If you can boot back into safe mode and get to "settings -- about device" all the info you need is there......

I downloaded philz_touch_6.22.1-i9100 and will attempt to put it on an SD card and go into recovery and update from SD. Am I at the right track?

I can't get into safe mode, we've tried over 100 times now. As far as I know it's stock but I am not totally sure. The owner has no clue what version it is either.

Edit: The owner says it's never been updated after being bought from the store.

Last edited:

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
If you flash the wrong version of the kernel, you won't be able to boot the phone....period.
At that point though, you WILL have a working CWM which will allow you to try my first suggestion.
If mounting the partition fails, all is not lost......you can use CWM to create what is called a NANDROID BACKUP of your current setup......it's basically a "snapshot" of your entire OS and related files at the moment it's created......then you can wipe/format your phone and install a new OS and use one of a selection of apps to extract the data you need from the backup......

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Just double checking.....you definitely have the international i9100 Galaxy S2 variant of the phone in front of you?

Xtri

Mar 25, 2014
If you flash the wrong version of the kernel, you won't be able to boot the phone....period.
At that point though, you WILL have a working CWM which will allow you to try my first suggestion.
If mounting the partition fails, all is not lost......you can use CWM to create what is called a NANDROID BACKUP of your current setup......it's basically a "snapshot" of your entire OS and related files at the moment it's created......then you can wipe/format your phone and install a new OS and use one of a selection of apps to extract the data you need from the backup......

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Just double checking.....you definitely have the international i9100 Galaxy S2 variant of the phone in front of you?

The owner said it has never been updated since it was bought.

And the philz_touch_6.22.1-i9100 I found was on the newest library.

And when you do normal factory reset it wipes EVERYTHING on the internal memory right? Pictures ect?

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
My wife's S2 came with Gingerbread......mine came with Icecream Sandwich.....
How old is the phone?

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
As I understand it, factory resetting from within CWM will erase your user installed apps and their data, but will leave your personal files intact......factory resetting from within the OS's settings menu will delete everything........

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

Gingerbread came out in December 2010.....
The first Iceceeam Sandwich firmwares came out in October 2011.

Xtri

Mar 25, 2014
As I understand it, factory resetting from within CWM will erase your user installed apps and their data, but will leave your personal files intact......factory resetting from within the OS's settings menu will delete everything........

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

Gingerbread came out in December 2010.....
The first Iceceeam Sandwich firmwares came out in October 2011.

b

Yeah.. All I have to go by..
Can't install from SD for some reason, can't see the zip file. Do I keep data if I do it with Odin?

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
Not the best person to answer that....haven't had to use Odin that much.
I *have* read that a normal Odin flash will leave personal data intact, but I can't vouch for that.....

Xtri

Mar 25, 2014
Not the best person to answer that....haven't had to use Odin that much.
I *have* read that a normal Odin flash will leave personal data intact, but I can't vouch for that.....

Alright, well thanks for your help so far man, I haven't been able to try yet but I will after I get home today. I was working from a ****ty laptop yesterday.. Atleast today I will do it on my own PC and have a bit more control :p