My battery life is bad.. Or isn't it?

Search This thread

domini99

Jan 9, 2012
Maasbracht
www.goglogo.com
My galaxy s2 barely survives a school day
uma2a3az.jpg

A reboot causes a 5/10% drop, I can literally watch the battery percentage drop while using it.

Using Omni ROM android 4.4.2

How's everybody's battery life on the s2? Any way of improving it?
If it's really that bad and I can't improve it I'm really going to consider buying an external battery.

Writing this post costed me 6%

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 5861859

Mine lasts about a day, depending on how much I use it and which apps I have opened. Then again, it's new and I'm sure it could last a bit longer...

Anyway, how old is your battery? Do you have lots of apps installed? Age and plenty of apps caused a 20-30% drop on my old battery (2.5 years) so I went ahead and bought a new one.

domini99

Jan 9, 2012
Maasbracht
www.goglogo.com
Mine lasts about a day, depending on how much I use it and which apps I have opened. Then again, it's new and I'm sure it could last a bit longer...

Anyway, how old is your battery? Do you have lots of apps installed? Age and plenty of apps caused a 20-30% drop on my old battery (2.5 years) so I went ahead and bought a new one.
battery is 3 months old and my rom is a near fresh installation :(

banjara

Mar 31, 2014
Bangalore
For a 3 month old battery its not normal, unless you are having more than 4 hours screen on time.
btw, is it an original samsung battery?

you can try flashing different roms, kernels and modems and check your usage. Try BetteryBatteryStats to check if you are having some wakelocks. Greenify the apps which are hogging your resources.

Titus_Andronicus

May 26, 2009
Calgary
This may sound crazy, but check to insure that your battery is a real Samsung original battery. On the weekend I found a freind that had a cheep knockoff battery in her phone that she had purchased new from Best Buy. Her new phone had come new from the stor with a cheep knockoff battery.

My guess is a sales guy at the store did a swap because s/he wanted a new battery. This freind's phone has a cheep e-bay look-a-like. I only recognized it as a fake because I had bought some of the same brand off of ebay previously. The way to recognize this particular fake is that is sais Near Field Communication on it. A real Samsung battery will not say that.

Last edited:

gravisrs

Aug 18, 2011
You're waking up your phone too often ?

53% of your schoolday battery goes for screen.

Try to:
- use auto-brightness
- set dim screen after 30 sec of inactivity
- check if your screen is not broken in any way (sometimes when it breaks it can short-circuit one back-led and that makes your screen consuming 5x times more juice)
- avoid looking every 5 minutes at your phone clock :) it really won't make you schoolday any shorter ;)

Btw, my battery lasts 3-7 days, one year old. Average power consumed for screen is 25-30% in my case.

domini99

Jan 9, 2012
Maasbracht
www.goglogo.com
You're waking up your phone too often ?

53% of your schoolday battery goes for screen.

Try to:
- use auto-brightness
- set dim screen after 30 sec of inactivity
- check if your screen is not broken in any way (sometimes when it breaks it can short-circuit one back-led and that makes your screen consuming 5x times more juice)
- avoid looking every 5 minutes at your phone clock :) it really won't make you schoolday any shorter ;)

Btw, my battery lasts 3-7 days, one year old. Average power consumed for screen is 25-30% in my case.
well my screen is cracked, its the way i got it for free.

the previous owner did not report any battery issues.

erdal67

Nov 1, 2012
So if it drains battery while you locked it, a wakelock can be the thing that's causing this...

Battery on a aosp rom is nowhere near the one of stock samsung, so i use chameleon rom which is a sammy based rom with aosp apps and aokp rom control and to get the features on newer 4.4+ roms i use Xposed+Gravitybox

The battery drop is well known by me, and it is driving me insane!!!! The cause of this is that the Fuel Gauge chip is displaying the wrong voltages what leads to wrong numbers and to our eyes a battery drop, there is no permanent fix for this and i'm expiencing it also and soon i will swith to another phone cause i cant rely on my phone anymore...

This saidi guess you are dutch cause of your signature and as your username has a 99 are you born in 1999??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

domini99

Jan 9, 2012
Maasbracht
www.goglogo.com
So if it drains battery while you locked it, a wakelock can be the thing that's causing this...

Battery on a aosp rom is nowhere near the one of stock samsung, so i use chameleon rom which is a sammy based rom with aosp apps and aokp rom control and to get the features on newer 4.4+ roms i use Xposed+Gravitybox

The battery drop is well known by me, and it is driving me insane!!!! The cause of this is that the Fuel Gauge chip is displaying the wrong voltages what leads to wrong numbers and to our eyes a battery drop, there is no permanent fix for this and i'm expiencing it also and soon i will swith to another phone cause i cant rely on my phone anymore...

This saidi guess you are dutch cause of your signature and as your username has a 99 are you born in 1999??

This is the reason I switched back to my iPhone, my galaxy s2 won't survive a school day. Only a short one, like on Friday. But on all other days I'm on school till 3 or 4 'o clock instead of 2 'o clock.
My iPhone 4 does it flawlessly, at the end of the day I still got 50% left.

And yes, I'm Dutch and 15 years old, born in 1999 :p

My username also hinted other XDA'ers that my real name is Dominique :)

Sent from my iSending thing..
Oh I know how to cook; you put food in a pan and light it on fire #learnfromtheprofessional

erdal67

Nov 1, 2012
This is the reason I switched back to my iPhone, my galaxy s2 won't survive a school day. Only a short one, like on Friday. But on all other days I'm on school till 3 or 4 'o clock instead of 2 'o clock.
My iPhone 4 does it flawlessly, at the end of the day I still got 50% left.

And yes, I'm Dutch and 15 years old, born in 1999 :p

My username also hinted other XDA'ers that my real name is Dominique :)

Oh I know how to cook; you put food in a pan and light it on fire #learnfromtheprofessional

Ahh you're 1 year older then me... [emoji28]
But yeah.. I had the same problem about surviving the schoolday with 4.4 and because of that i changed back to a sammy based rom and now i'm coming home with 70% with 1+ hour on screen time!!

With that 5-10% drop you were talking about is nothing compared to my (regularly)30-40% drop from 60-50% to 20% but yeah i really cant wait to (hopefully) get my little hands on the 5.5 inc. oneplus one in a few months and be lost of these problems[emoji1]

domini99

Jan 9, 2012
Maasbracht
www.goglogo.com
Ahh you're 1 year older then me... [emoji28]
But yeah.. I had the same problem about surviving the schoolday with 4.4 and because of that i changed back to a sammy based rom and now i'm coming home with 70% with 1+ hour on screen time!!

With that 5-10% drop you were talking about is nothing compared to my (regularly)30-40% drop from 60-50% to 20% but yeah i really cant wait to (hopefully) get my little hands on the 5.5 inc. oneplus one in a few months and be lost of these problems[emoji1]

Haha yeah I don't have the money for a new phone. But I'll try a Sammy based rom. You know any good ones? Without bloatware, and preferably AOSP?

erdal67

Nov 1, 2012
Haha yeah I don't have the money for a new phone. But I'll try a Sammy based rom. You know any good ones? Without bloatware, and preferably AOSP?

I also don't have the money yet but the phone is not released yet so i have time to save up some money...

Here is the rom i'm using: chameleon rom
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1847600

It is fully aosp'd so nothing is samsung except the stability and camera!

Some tips:
1. Apolo kernel has a good improvement in speed of the rom and sometimes it improves battery
2. And to get a speedbump use a entropy generator like this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zdvdev.sef&hl=nl

Reactions: domini99

domini99

Jan 9, 2012
Maasbracht
www.goglogo.com
I also don't have the money yet but the phone is not released yet so i have time to save up some money...

Here is the rom i'm using: chameleon rom
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1847600

It is fully aosp'd so nothing is samsung except the stability and camera!

Some tips:
1. Apolo kernel has a good improvement in speed of the rom and sometimes it improves battery
2. And to get a speedbump use a entropy generator like this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zdvdev.sef&hl=nl

Thank you, i'll try that tomorrow :)

Reactions: erdal67

omkarsathe92

Mar 8, 2012
Thane
Custom Kernel

In general, flashing a custom kernel and tuning it properly greatly improves battery life. Try Gustavo_s's Kernel and set "Ondemand+Noop".
I hope THIS VIDEO helps :)
Regards,
Omkar

Reactions: domini99

Top Liked Posts