FORUMS

[Q] ClockworkMod Recovery - failed to verify whole-file signature

143 posts
Thanks Meter: 38

By Aircondition, Senior Member on 10th December 2011, 07:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello! I installed a mod for my Samsung Galaxy SII so I could overclock the CPU to 1.5Ghz. Since I'm new here I can't post the link to the tutorial I followed. But you can just search "Samsung Galaxy S2 how to overclock to 1.5GHz" and select the search result from "androidng". I don't think it matters anyway. It says that I have the kernel version "2.6.65.8-I9100XWKDD-CL161513 [email protected] #59". Now I want to install CyanogenMod for it and I've already downloaded ROM Manager Premium 4.8.0.6 and flashed ClockworkMod Recovery which removed the default recovery mode from Samsung / Google. But when I try to install the ROM from my SD card in the recovery mode it says "failed to verify whole-file signature". Is it possible to get rid of the ClockworkMod Recovery and get the stock recovery back that enable me to flash over USB with Odin. It seems like a lot of people have that error but I can't find any answer to solve it. Someone suggested to disable signature verification but I can't find it, I think it is in an earlier version. Will the "factory reset" option in the menu reset everything to Samsung's stock ROM without the recovery mode and will it backup files, settings and apps? (Probably it is not working either because nothing on that menu works except restart)
10th December 2011, 07:47 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 719

More
Sounds to me like you still have stock recovery, you're not going to get CWM recovery from ROM manager.
10th December 2011, 07:56 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
I don't know what the CWM recovery is but I'm sure I don't have the stock recovery. The stock recovery from Samsung don't have that menu that says "Android System Recovery <3e>, on the stock recovery it says "Downloading... Do not turn off target" and has a big Android image.
10th December 2011, 07:59 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircondition

I don't know what the CWM recovery is but I'm sure I don't have the stock recovery. The stock recovery from Samsung don't have that menu that says "Android System Recovery <3e>, on the stock recovery it says "Downloading... Do not turn off target" and has a big Android image.

Yes, yes it does. What you're describing is download mode.
10th December 2011, 08:23 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Ah. I thought the volume up did the same as the volume down. I started the phone in downloader mode now but I still don't know how to get rid of the "failed to verify whole-file signature" error.
10th December 2011, 08:27 PM |#6  

More
Considering you're trying to install CM7, read the FAQ thread in this very forum carefully. One of the first instructions is to flash a specific kernel which includes CWM recovery.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1176411
10th December 2011, 08:29 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 189

More
You should flash a cf root kernel this will give you all you need including cwm manager which allows you to reboot straight into clockwork recovery.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
22nd December 2011, 05:38 PM |#8  
Flag Canada, eh?
Thanks Meter: 120

Donate to Me
More
I'm having the same problem. Here's what I did though...

I rooted with CF-Root and then flashed back to stock Kernel and root has remained. Now when I go to boot into CWM Recovery I get the "failed to verify signature" error on the screen that says Android recovery <3e>.

Is it because I flashed back to stock Kernel that this is happening?
22nd December 2011, 08:48 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiM

Now when I go to boot into CWM Recovery I get the "failed to verify signature" error on the screen that says Android recovery <3e>.

Is it because I flashed back to stock Kernel that this is happening?

Where in the instructions to install CM7 does it say to do anything with stock kernel or CF-root kernel? Hint: it doesn't. Follow the instructions to the letter, they're not there to look pretty, they're meant to be followed.

Also, a 5 second search would tell you that Android recovery 3e is not CWM recovery.
22nd December 2011, 08:50 PM |#10  
Flag Canada, eh?
Thanks Meter: 120

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkylicious

Where in the instructions to install CM7 does it say to do anything with stock kernel or CF-root kernel? Hint: it doesn't. Follow the instructions to the letter, they're not there to look pretty, they're meant to be followed.

Also, a 5 second search would tell you that Android recovery 3e is not CWM recovery.

NOT trying to install CM7. A search resulted in this thread being a perfect match of my problem just as stated in the title. I'm trying to do a Nandroid backup.
mudferret
22nd December 2011, 08:56 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiM

NOT trying to install CM7. A search resulted in this thread being a perfect match of my problem just as stated in the title. I'm trying to do a Nandroid backup.

As you know you still have root, but when you flashed the stock kernel back on you got stock recovery back.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)