FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Difference between "Device memory" and "USB storage".

101 posts
Thanks Meter: 11

By apex88, Senior Member on 13th July 2012, 03:19 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello everyone,
Whats is the difference between device memory and USB storage?
As far as i see all the apps installed on the Device memory and all the photos and other files are located on the USB storage.

I had "insufficient storage available" problem which I fixed by uninstalling apps and that cleared some space on "Device memory" which has only p1.97GB of space, and on the other hand "USB storage" has 11.50GB of sace.
Is there a way to install apps on the USB storage?
I tried apps2SD but i see its only for external SD card.

Thanks in advance.

13th July 2012, 03:37 PM |#2  
Flag Nottingham, UK.
Thanks Meter: 222

More
Device memory is for your apps and system etc. Usb memory is the mass storage for all your pics and music and for whatever else your apps might need space for.

They are basically partitions and as far as I know, there is no (safe) way to change them.

Btw apps2sd is for moving apply data to an external memory card.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
13th July 2012, 05:45 PM |#3  
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 115

Donate to Me
More
Device Memory is referring to the ~2GB system storage partition on the device, which is part of the total 16GB of internal storage. Another ~12GB is taken up by what's being referred to as USB Storage, and refers to another partition of the 16GB of internal storage. If you have an SD card, that'll be referred to as the External SD Card.

Your system storage ("Device Memory") is located at root /
USB Storage is located at /sdcard
If you have an SD card in your device, it'll be located at /emmc/

Please do note though that these locations may/probably do change between ROMs, and I only know for certain that these correct within CyanogenMod 9.
screamworks
The Following User Says Thank You to screamworks For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift screamworks Ad-Free
13th July 2012, 05:49 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 908

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamworks

Device Memory is referring to the ~2GB system storage partition on the device, which is part of the total 16GB of internal storage. Another ~12GB is taken up by what's being referred to as USB Storage, and refers to another partition of the 16GB of internal storage. If you have an SD card, that'll be referred to as the External SD Card.

Your system storage ("Device Memory") is located at root /
USB Storage is located at /sdcard
If you have an SD card in your device, it'll be located at /emmc/

Please do note though that these locations may/probably do change between ROMs, and I only know for certain that these correct within CyanogenMod 9.
screamworks

Just FYI, external SD at /emmc is for AOSP/AOKP ROMs.

For Sammy stock ROMs, external SD will be at /mnt/sdcard/external_sd. (This is Samsung's brilliance. Not sure why they did this...)
13th July 2012, 05:58 PM |#5  
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 115

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctomgee

Just FYI, external SD at /emmc is for AOSP/AOKP ROMs.

For Sammy stock ROMs, external SD will be at /mnt/sdcard/external_sd. (This is Samsung's brilliance. Not sure why they did this...)

Ah, thanks for that! If I'd given it more thought, I probably would have figured that out. But alas, brain is obviously not functioning. Cheers.
screamworks
6th June 2014, 03:11 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizur

Device memory is for your apps and system etc. Usb memory is the mass storage for all your pics and music and for whatever else your apps might need space for.

They are basically partitions and as far as I know, there is no (safe) way to change them.

Btw apps2sd is for moving apply data to an external memory card.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Why is it that when I take the option to move some apps that can be moved from device storage to USB storage I don't see the used space going any higher? please check out this image for an example. the figures don't seem to add up with the used figure against the apps with the ticks that have been moved to USB storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Application Manager USB Storage SD Card.png
Views:	1669
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	2783027  
7th July 2019, 11:32 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I still can't find an answer to issue raised here. How can I use USB storage instead of device memory?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device memory, insufficient storage available, usb storage

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)