FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[FAQ] [ROOT] Questions about rooting SGS2 via zergRush Exploit

57 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By sea_salt, Member on 9th December 2011, 06:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

this F.A.Q should help, when you are confrontig the following situation: I want to root my sgs2, using the zergrush method. Probably because I don't want to change the kernels...

1.) Just to be sure, that I got it right: When I use the zergrush-exploit on my SGS2 (2.3.4) I get root access to the shell via ADB and nothing more. Then I push the app "superuser" on the phone using adb shell command. And then I can use the superuser-app to grant root only to the programs I want. All other programs are still not running in root. Is this right?

Answer from oinkylicious: If you use http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=18805560 you won't need to manually push anything.

2.) Is there anyone else (according to the previous posts) who can confirm, that the zergrush-exploit does work on a unbranded sgs2 which has been updatet to 2.3.4 via KIES?

Answer from oinkylicious: It works fine on < 2.3.6

Answer from E:V:A: It is likely that all stock firmwares distributed & compiled after 9 Nov 2011 may be patched for the "zergRush" explot due to the bugreport filed here: https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=21681
However, there are always other solutions...

3.) When I apply the zergrush-exploit, …

a) … do I still have the possibility to use KIES to update the kernel e.g. to 2.3.5 (when it's released)?

Answer from oinkylicious: Probably

b) … can I still use KIES to backup my data (e.g. sms, calendar, ...)?

c) … will there be the yellow warning sign while booting?

Answer from oinkylicious: No

d) ... will the legendary "counter" (sorry, I'm still a noob on android) count one up, and has to be resetted via an usb-jig before I potentially send it to claim my warranty in case of a malfunction, or will there be no "signs"?

Answer from oinkylicious: No

e) … can I still use "factory reset" by settings->privacy?

4.) If I can still use...

a) … KIES to update the kernel e.g. to 2.3.5... will the phone then be un-rooted after updating via KIES?

Answer from oinkylicious: yes

b) … "factory reset" by settings->privacy ... or alternatively will the phone then be un-rooted after pressing "factory reset"?

Answer from oinkylicious: Probably, try it and find out.

5.) When I use the zergrush-un-root-function... will there be any traces that the phone was rooted before or will the phone be in the state it was when I bought it?

Answer from oinkylicious: There shouldn't be.

I know these are many questions. So I really really appreciate your help a lot! And I hope this will also help other people who got the same questions... As mentioned, I read a lot before in this forum, but for some questions, I couldn’t find a distinct answer...So I would appreciate it very much, if I could get some help, before I start to root my phone. I think it's better to ask these questions before I start to root, then afterwards...

If someone can confirm oinkylicious's answers or has other opinions, please don't hesitate to post them. I will include them in this post to get a more reliable FAQ... Also if there are more questions. Please ask them and I will add them here...

Best wishes,

mr. salt
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sea_salt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sea_salt Ad-Free

9th December 2011, 07:03 PM |#2  
Retired Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Flag Blackpool UK
Thanks Meter: 1,584

Donate to Me
More
Please use the Q&A Forum for questions Thanks
Moving to Q&A
10th December 2011, 10:07 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
alright, I'll know it next time.
10th December 2011, 10:17 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 721

More
1). If you use http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=18805560 you won't need to manually push anything.
2). It works fine on < 2.3.6
3a). Probably
3b). Probably
3c). No
3d). No
3e). Probably
4a). Yes
4b). Probably, try it and find out.
5). There shouldn't be.
The Following User Says Thank You to oinkylicious For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift oinkylicious Ad-Free
10th December 2011, 11:11 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkylicious

1). If you use http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=18805560 you won't need to manually push anything.
2). It works fine on < 2.3.6
3a). Probably
3b). Probably
3c). No
3d). No
3e). Probably
4a). Yes
4b). Probably, try it and find out.
5). There shouldn't be.

Thanks man for your replies.

I appreciate your help.

Before I finally start to use zergrush, I want to be as sure, as possible, that it will happen, what I want to happen and I can still use some features (as I asked in questions 3a/b/3 and 4b)... Does any one have some sure answers or experiences on these questions? and/or can confrim oinkylicious' answers?

Thanks again!
10th December 2011, 09:46 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 721

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_salt

Before I finally start to use zergrush, I want to be as sure, as possible, that it will happen, what I want to happen and I can still use some features (as I asked in questions 3a/b/3 and 4b)... Does any one have some sure answers or experiences on these questions? and/or can confrim oinkylicious' answers?

I'll give your thread a courtesy bump to say that I didn't know the answers to those questions because I don't use Kies. I'm not sure why you would want to when you're rooted.
15th December 2011, 01:59 PM |#7  
Recognized Developer
Flag -∇ϕ
Thanks Meter: 2,152

More
Exclamation
These are very well formulated and very common questions for every first-time rooter. I have no idea why this list is not present and stickied already, or on the front page of the FAQ!?

@sea_salt:
I suggest you update your first post with the answers from #4!!

NOTE: It is likely that all stock firmwares distributed & compiled after 9 Nov 2011 may be patched for the "zergRush" explot due to the bugreport filed here: https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=21681
However, there are always other solutions...
The Following User Says Thank You to E:V:A For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th December 2011, 10:19 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
@E:V:A
Thank you. I think you're right. These questions are important for many first-time zerg-rush-rooters. PS: thanks for the tip, I updated my first post...

Can one of the moderators please make this post stiky, so that everyone can see it and more answers will be added?

the more answers to the main questions are given the more reliable they are...
17th December 2011, 12:54 AM |#9  
Flag LIV
Thanks Meter: 1

More
does it matter if my Kernel Version said root@dell192 #2
im not sure about it coz i am too afraid to root it but i wan to root it.. i so desprate to know does it matter or not ? mine is KI2 version
17th December 2011, 03:37 AM |#10  
Recognized Developer
Flag -∇ϕ
Thanks Meter: 2,152

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jancried

does it matter if my Kernel Version said root@dell192 #2
im not sure about it coz i am too afraid to root it but i wan to root it.. i so desprate to know does it matter or not ? mine is KI2 version

Dooood. Don't be afraid! If you root it THEY will come! Mu-ha-ha-ha...

You phone is close to useless in its non-rooted state. Go for it! (You will not regret it!)
31st December 2011, 01:36 AM |#11  
OP Member

More
New Question:

6.) When I just use the manual method:

Code:
adb shell mkdir /data/local/tmp
adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp
adb chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/zergRush
adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp/
./zergRush
adb remount
up to this line (and do not continue with adb push su /system/bin and so on)...

a) Will I have just a temporary-adb-root only (and nothing else is changed)?

b) Will adb return to be not-rooted when I restart the phone?

c) Will there be any "staying"-changes to the system?

(I ask this because I want to use zergrush only to get root-adb and then make some backups via dd-commands (via adb-shell), so I want to let the kernel and the whole system as "untouched" as possibible and just temporarily have a rooted adb...)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
galaxy s 2, root, sgs2, unroot, zergrush

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)