FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Galaxy S2 spontaneously rebooting

9 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By interline, Junior Member on 30th May 2011, 02:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi
My Galaxy S2 has a habit of rebooting or shutting down spontaneously about once a day, and sometime more.
Can it be because of a conflict in some of the programs I downloaded?
The phone has the latest Samsung firmware, and all the software was downloaded from the Market. If the problem is with a conflict in software, how do I find the problematic software in order to uninstall it?

Many Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to interline For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift interline Ad-Free

30th May 2011, 02:26 PM |#2  
Flag Penguin land,way up north.
Thanks Meter: 1,186

Donate to Me
More
If you download the watchdog from the mark, you can monitor your apps to see if there are those who give the random reboots
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stian230 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stian230 Ad-Free
30th May 2011, 03:40 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Rendom reboot on Galaxy S2
Thanks
I downloaded watchdog
I hope this will solve the problem.
30th May 2011, 05:49 PM |#4  
Flag Devizes
Thanks Meter: 26

More
I had some random reboots after moving some apps to sd. Moved them all back and no more reboots.

Sent from my GT-I9100
30th May 2011, 08:38 PM |#5  
Flag Lisbon
Thanks Meter: 125

More
Flash stock firmware, KE7 for example.

If you keep getting reboots, use the warranty to change your damaged hardware
30th May 2011, 09:54 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
As silly as it sounds, I think these random reboots have something to do with inserting an external SD card.
I just bought a aData 16GB microSD and ever since I plugged it in, my phone has rebooted itself twice in the morning while listening to mp3s (my MP3s are stored on my microSD card).
30th May 2011, 10:23 PM |#7  
Flag Lisbon

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclypz

As silly as it sounds, I think these random reboots have something to do with inserting an external SD card.
I just bought a aData 16GB microSD and ever since I plugged it in, my phone has rebooted itself twice in the morning while listening to mp3s (my MP3s are stored on my microSD card).

That actually makes sense. The SDCard must be damaged, or the card-reader slot.

Android is supposed to handle a corrupted IO device, but i think that's not your case...

Please try to do the following:

Connect your phone in Debug Mode to the PC. Then,
- Start cmd.exe
- type "adb logcat"
if you see a lot of output, you're OK
- Wait for reboot
- Copy paste here the last lines before reboot

Maybe we could understand the bug itself.

Alternatively, try another SD card and make sure you're at the KE7 ROM. Also, please tell: Do you move your apps to SDcard?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Phk Ad-Free
30th May 2011, 10:57 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phk

That actually makes sense. The SDCard must be damaged, or the card-reader slot.

Android is supposed to handle a corrupted IO device, but i think that's not your case...

Please try to do the following:

Connect your phone in Debug Mode to the PC. Then,
- Start cmd.exe
- type "adb logcat"
if you see a lot of output, you're OK
- Wait for reboot
- Copy paste here the last lines before reboot

Maybe we could understand the bug itself.

Alternatively, try another SD card and make sure you're at the KE7 ROM. Also, please tell: Do you move your apps to SDcard?

Is there a better way to capture? the cmd window appears to have a max character before it clears the oldest results. Also..it looks like logcat doesn't have time stamps? Or are the results cut-off from the screen?

Unless somebody tells me a better way to do this, I'll continue capturing and stop the capture once the phone reboots, then copy & paste the log here. Should I be concerned about inadvertently passing on any personal information in these logs?

No..my apps aren't moved to SD. I only use my MircoSD card for multimedia, as the 16GB internal is more space than i'll ever need for apps (and probably faster).

PS: For the record, I have stopped listening to MP3s and my phone hasn't rebooted itself for 4 hours straight now. So its looking more and more like the the SDcard is the culprit.
31st May 2011, 12:22 AM |#9  
Flag Lisbon

More
Quote:

Is there a better way to capture? the cmd window appears to have a max character before it clears the oldest results. Also..it looks like logcat doesn't have time stamps? Or are the results cut-off from the screen?

Unless somebody tells me a better way to do this, I'll continue capturing and stop the capture once the phone reboots, then copy & paste the log here. Should I be concerned about inadvertently passing on any personal information in these logs?

No..my apps aren't moved to SD. I only use my MircoSD card for multimedia, as the 16GB internal is more space than i'll ever need for apps (and probably faster).

PS: For the record, I have stopped listening to MP3s and my phone hasn't rebooted itself for 4 hours straight now. So its looking more and more like the the SDcard is the culprit.

Type CTRL+C to stop adb logcat when the phone reboots. Then you got the latest output
31st May 2011, 08:45 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phk

Type CTRL+C to stop adb logcat when the phone reboots. Then you got the latest output

I couldn't replicate the problem again while I ran logcat for 3 hours straight.

But here's the kicker:
Once I left work, I jumped in the car, plugged my phone into my car stereo via the 3.5mm jack started up my mp3s again and immediately experienced the issues below all within 10 min. (Go figure )
- Music skips randomly (silence and then the music continues playing at a later point..like a CD skip)
- Music will stop playing suddenly, and I have to press play again
- Followed by the phone rebooting itself again.

It doesn't seem to reboot once a USB cable is plugged in? And it doesn't reboot if I don't have something in the 3.5mm jack Does that make any sense at all? Is there another way to log without the USB cable plugged in?

Either way...I'm still sold on the either the SDcard being the culptit, or Samsung's Music app (call it a hunch).

All of the above randomly happens while I'm playing music stored on the SDcard, with Samsung's Music app, no USB cable attached (battery powered) and headphones/stereo plugged into the 3.5mm jack. That seems to be the only way I can replicate the problems above.

I haven't given up yet:
Once I got home, I formatted the SDcard with the utility here: http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3 and will try again at work tomorrow with the same Samsung Player. If it still reboots, I'll try again with a third party player like winamp.
31st May 2011, 09:13 AM |#11  
Flag Lisbon

More
Quote:

I couldn't replicate the problem again while I ran logcat for 3 hours straight.

But here's the kicker:
Once I left work, I jumped in the car, plugged my phone into my car stereo via the 3.5mm jack started up my mp3s again and immediately experienced the issues below all within 10 min. (Go figure )
- Music skips randomly (silence and then the music continues playing at a later point..like a CD skip)
- Music will stop playing suddenly, and I have to press play again
- Followed by the phone rebooting itself again.

It doesn't seem to reboot once a USB cable is plugged in? And it doesn't reboot if I don't have something in the 3.5mm jack Does that make any sense at all? Is there another way to log without the USB cable plugged in?

Either way...I'm still sold on the either the SDcard being the culptit, or Samsung's Music app (call it a hunch).

All of the above randomly happens while I'm playing music stored on the SDcard, with Samsung's Music app, no USB cable attached (battery powered) and headphones/stereo plugged into the 3.5mm jack. That seems to be the only way I can replicate the problems above.

I haven't given up yet:
Once I got home, I formatted the SDcard with the utility here: http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3 and will try again at work tomorrow with the same Samsung Player. If it still reboots, I'll try again with a third party player like winamp.

Don't forget the culprit could well be RAM memory on your phone.

#1st Try:
Copy your MP3 to the Phone's internal memory card, and then take a day or two without the SDCard.
--> If the problem is SDCard\SDCard Slot, you will see no reboots

#2nd Try:
If it still reboots, without any SDCard in, try formatting to Stock KE7 and using it *without SDcard* and *without installing much apps*.
--> If it stopped rebooting, the problem was your ROM
--> If it still does some rebooting, use your Warranty, you have damaged the RAM inside.

Cheers
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)