[GUIDE] How to Dual Boot using the Siyah Kernel

Search This thread

Darkknight1123

Jan 9, 2014
dual boot s2 i9100g

Siyyah team. Can you make a dual boot kernel for s2 i9100g. I am desperate to dual boot but all the available methods are very complicated. Please
Hello fellas :)

This guide is just a quick how-to on dual booting. Many people have doubts on how to dual boot on Siyah, because it's something new and perhaps "scary" because they may think it can brick their phone.

Requirements

• A Galaxy S II I9100
  • 3.x Siyah Kernel (3.2.x preferred). For latest version, visit the Siyah Kernel thread
  • 90% charged battery
  • 2.5GB of free space in your internal SD card
  • Patience
  • Time

So, do you complete all those requirements? Time to go to action. BUT BEFORE, a brief FAQ in a simplified way, based from this post made by the amazing droidphile :)

FAQ

Can I dual boot Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean?
Yes you can, using Siyah v3.5.2.

1) What is dual booting?
Dual booting is the ability to boot into two different Ice Cream Sandwich-based ROMs (like CM9 and AOKP).

2) How is this done?
This is achieved by sharing the kernel and using a hidden partition in dev/block to store the 2nd ROM's /system and the /sdcard (Internal storage) to store /data and /cache inside a hidden folder (/sdcard/.secondrom)

3) How much does it take to clone a ROM?
It should take around 7 minutes

4) I want to dual boot fasturr. wat do?
When you get the splash screen to choose between ROMs, touch the screen or press volume UP to enter the PRIMARY ROM, and press the Home button or volume down for the SECONDARY ROM.

5) How can I remove the Dual boot and its partitions?
Just use the "Remove 2nd ROM" option in the Dual Boot options menu.

6) If I format my /sdcard, will my second ROM go kaput?
Yep, because you're wiping the folder that contains /data and /cache.

7) Can I dual boot a gingerbread ROM in a ICS ROM?
Niet. No. :p

Now, the PROCEDURE

1. You must flash the Siyah kernel, either with CWM or ODIN
  2. After you have flashed the kernel, reboot and let Android upgrade itself.
  3. All done? Alright, move up to next step!
  4. Download the desired ROM that you want to make it secondary, and place it in a safe place in your internal SD card
  5. After that, reboot to CWM Recovery, and navigate to "Dual Boot options"
  6. You'll see a list of options, namely :
    • View current status
    • Clone 1st ROM to 2nd ROM
    • Clone 2nd ROM to 1st ROM
    • Swap 1st ROM with 2nd ROM
    • Swap 2nd ROM with 1st ROM
    • Remove 2nd ROM
    • Install 2nd ROM from Internal SD card
    • Install 2nd ROM from External SD card
    • Wipe 2nd ROM data/cache
    • Wipe 2nd ROM dalvik-cache
    • Fix 2nd ROM permissions

What does each one mean, you ask?
      • View current status - This option will show you the stats of the dual booted ROM.
      • Clone 1st ROM to 2nd ROM - This option will copy (clone) the current ROM that you use (for example, CM9) and paste it to the 2nd ROM directory. Takes around 7-20 mins.
      • Clone 2nd ROM to 1st ROM - This options copies the 2nd ROM (after installed of course) and pastes it to the place where the 1st ROM was, replacing it.
      • Swap 1st ROM with 2nd ROM - This will swap the 1st ROM with the 2nd ROM, making the Primary ROM -> Secondary ROM and the Secondary ROM -> Primary
      • Swap 2nd ROM with 1st ROM - This will do the exact opposite of the above option
      • Remove 2nd ROM - This will completely wipe and remove any 2nd ROM files and folders
      • Install 2nd ROM from Internal SD card - This option is to flash the ROM to the 2nd ROM directory from the Internal SD card
      • Install 2nd ROM from External SD card - This option is to flash the ROM to the 2nd ROm directory from the External SD card
      • Wipe 2nd ROM data/cache - This will wipe the 2nd ROM data and cache. When it's done for the first time, it'll create data.img and cache.img and create the folders inside /sdcard/.secondrom, preparing your phone for the 2nd ROM.
      • Wipe 2nd ROM dalvik-cache - This will wipe the dalvik cache of the 2nd ROM
      • Fix 2nd ROM permissions - This will fix the permissions of the 2nd ROM
  7. Select the option Wipe 2nd ROM data/cache. This will prepare your phone to flash the 2nd ROM. It takes around 5-7 minutes.
  8. After having that done, select the option to wipe the dalvik cache.
  9. After all that is done, select either "Install 2nd ROM from Internal SD card" or "Install 2nd ROM from External SD card" depending on the location of your ROM
  10. Wait a few minutes for the flash
  11. Reboot
  12. Press the Home button or volume down to enter the Secondary ROM

After you have done all that, you're set and you're in the Dual Booting world! :) I hope that this guide helped you, and if it did, press the thanks button!

Credits

GokhanMoral - For his amazing kernel
Droidphile - For his great FAQ

Many40

Nov 25, 2009
Siyyah team. Can you make a dual boot kernel for s2 i9100g. I am desperate to dual boot but all the available methods are very complicated. Please

Hi,
Sorry for that but:
- there is no any Siyah team.
- developer of Siyah kernel - Gokhanmoral stopped development some time ago and it's not clear if he ever comes back
- latest ver of Siyah kernel even can't dual boot i9100.
- please don't quote whole OP
Regards

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

dicas_android

Jan 8, 2014
Fortaleza
New and Custom Old

I'd like to know: Can I use some based CM 4.4.x(or other mod) with one Rom Stock base 4.1.2(Ex: Omega)?
I want that because I need to use MHL(tested and is OK in Omega) and I can't in any based 4.4.x .

tdkholmes

Jul 31, 2014

This guide is just a quick how-to on dual booting. Many people have doubts on how to dual boot on Siyah, because it's something new and perhaps "scary" because they may think it can brick their phone.

Requirements

• A Galaxy S II I9100
  • 3.x Siyah Kernel (3.2.x preferred). For latest version, visit the Siyah Kernel thread
  • 90% charged battery
  • Patience
  • Time

So, do you complete all those requirements? Time to go to action. BUT BEFORE, a brief FAQ in a simplified way, based from this post made by the amazing droidphile :)

FAQ

1) What is dual booting?
Dual booting is the ability to boot into two different Ice Cream Sandwich-based ROMs (like CM9 and AOKP).

2) How is this done?
This is achieved by sharing the kernel and using a hidden partition in dev/block to store the 2nd ROM's /system and the /sdcard (Internal storage) to store /data and /cache inside a hidden folder (/sdcard/.secondrom)

When you get the splash screen to choose between ROMs, touch the screen or press volume UP to enter the PRIMARY ROM, and press the Home button or volume down for the SECONDARY ROM.

Now, the PROCEDURE

4. Download the desired ROM that you want to make it secondary, and place it in a safe place in your internal SD card
    • View current status
    • Remove 2nd ROM

• View current status - This option will show you the stats of the dual booted ROM.
      • Clone 1st ROM to 2nd ROM - This option will copy (clone) the current ROM that you use (for example, CM9) and paste it to the 2nd ROM directory. Takes around 7-20 mins.
      • Clone 2nd ROM to 1st ROM - This options copies the 2nd ROM (after installed of course) and pastes it to the place where the 1st ROM was, replacing it.
      • Swap 1st ROM with 2nd ROM - This will swap the 1st ROM with the 2nd ROM, making the Primary ROM -> Secondary ROM and the Secondary ROM -> Primary
      • Swap 2nd ROM with 1st ROM - This will do the exact opposite of the above option
      • Remove 2nd ROM - This will completely wipe and remove any 2nd ROM files and folders
      • Install 2nd ROM from Internal SD card - This option is to flash the ROM to the 2nd ROM directory from the Internal SD card
      • Install 2nd ROM from External SD card - This option is to flash the ROM to the 2nd ROm directory from the External SD card
      • Wipe 2nd ROM data/cache - This will wipe the 2nd ROM data and cache. When it's done for the first time, it'll create data.img and cache.img and create the folders inside /sdcard/.secondrom, preparing your phone for the 2nd ROM.
  7. Select the option Wipe 2nd ROM data/cache. This will prepare your phone to flash the 2nd ROM. It takes around 5-7 minutes.
  9. After all that is done, select either "Install 2nd ROM from Internal SD card" or "Install 2nd ROM from External SD card" depending on the location of your ROM
  11. Reboot

After you have done all that, you're set and you're in the Dual Booting world! :) I hope that this guide helped you, and if it did, press the thanks button!

Credits

Can I dual boot CM11 with MIUI v5?
I'm already running MIUI on the Siyah kernel on my phone.
Android version: 4.1.2 JZO54K
MIUI version: MIUI-4.7.25
Kernel: 3.0.31-Siyah-s2-v6.0b4+

Many40

Nov 25, 2009
Can I dual boot CM11 with MIUI v5?
I'm already running MIUI on the Siyah kernel on my phone.
Android version: 4.1.2 JZO54K
MIUI version: MIUI-4.7.25
Kernel: 3.0.31-Siyah-s2-v6.0b4+

Hello.
1. NO - current ver of siyah (v6 beta) doesn't support dual booting
2. Look for proper Dorimanx kernel which supports that
3. For future - please don't quote whole OP post.
Regards

Reactions: tdkholmes

tdkholmes

Jul 31, 2014
Hello.
1. NO - current ver of siyah (v6 beta) doesn't support dual booting
2. Look for proper Dorimanx kernel which supports that
3. For future - please don't quote whole OP post.
Regards

Oh, okay, actually, the thing is that, there is an option of installing a second ROM provided in the custom recovery (infact all options which are mentioned in the OP), that's why I got confused.

Many40

Nov 25, 2009
Oh, okay, actually, the thing is that, there is an option of installing a second ROM provided in the custom recovery (infact all options which are mentioned in the OP), that's why I got confused.

Understand your confusion however the kernel is in a beta stage (and rather will not be developed any further) and dual booting feature has not been finalized (=doesn't work) by the Dev.
If you looked at "SiyahKernel S2-v6.0beta5" description here:
http://www.gokhanmoral.com/ it would be more clear for you.

Reactions: tdkholmes

tdkholmes

Jul 31, 2014
Hey, you're the expert!
I'm just a noob.
Anyhow, thanks for replying everytime man.
It helped. I know this isn't the right post to put up this problem, but actually i wanted to dual boot because MIUI doesn't allow me to move apps to SD card while CM11 does.
If you have any solution other than switching to CM11 completely, then please let me know by sparing a little bit of your time.
I would really appreciate it.
And it'd be even better if you PM me since this thread isn't the right place to continue this conversation.
Cheers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Requirements

• A Galaxy S II I9100
    • 90% charged battery
    • Patience
    • Time

FAQ

1) What is dual booting?

2) How is this done?

Now, the PROCEDURE

• View current status
      • Remove 2nd ROM

11. Reboot

Credits

Thanks again for your answers,Im currently trying this out but I have another doubt,when I flash Stock ROM will that flash a new kernel and overwrite siyah kernel? or it will just install the rom?
    Because Siyah is a kernel only for AOKP right?
    Just asking.

Thanks.

If you flash stock Sammy rom or other type (doesn't matter) it will replace Siyah kernel with a kernel provided by the rom. But you are wrong saying that it is only for AOKP - Siyah kernel works with many types of ics rom (Samsung, CM9, AOKP). So if you flash Sammy rom as 1st one you have to reflash Siyah kernel afterwards. But if you flas a rom as 2nd one current kernel will stay because a kernel from this rom will not be flashed.
    BTW if you would like to thank someone who tries to help you the best way is to press "THANK" button. Regards.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
    Anyone out there have advice on a dual boot issue? I'm running resurrection remix 2.6 as my stable/daily OS and would like to install resurrection remix 3.0.9 as secondary ROM and dual boot. I'm running Siyah v4.1.4. I followed the exact steps listed in other XDA forums but i can't get past the Samsung start-up screen.

Was about to give up, but figured I would ask.

Thanks...:confused:

first update siyah v4.1.4 of urs to v4.1.5, and then dwnld the RR3.0.9 rom properly from the Mirror link in Post#2 of the RR main thread, also verify the MD5 and then do the installation and see:)

And if it still doesn't work, even you claim you followed all the steps from OP, better describe us step by step what you did to get quicker support. Regards
    What about the 1st time when you set up your dual rom? I remember that there were a few people who had written in saying they do not have the option of booting into the 2nd rom after following the method describe by the OP. :confused:

Belive me I did only what I wrote to you. I did not format any partitions and had no problems at boot at all. (Boot option to choose 2nd rom has been available). To be sure I have asked this afternoon also droidphile (author of very helpful guide and experienced on this topic). This is his answer: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26742671 Regards. Happy if helped.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
    Got it... although can't i use Titanium backup to restore some of the apps from the primary to secondary???

Yes, you can (but you have to be sure that all apps are compatible with both roms). As default settings Titanium Backup uses /sdcard/TitaniumBackup directory to backup apps. But later on when you use apps on both roms and from time to time backup them - the last backup will be valid (doesn't matter from which rom they were made) - apps database will be overwritten by each backup. I personnally prefer to maintain separated backups for each rom to keep uniqueness of apps settings of each rom. You can set different folder in TB of 2nd rom in TB settings / Backup folder location.