FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide] How to root and Flash new ROM on SGS2 for newbie for GB, ICS or JB.

2,038 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,881

By avirk, Recognized Contributor on 25th August 2013, 11:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello guys I’m here with a noob guide for who are very new to Rooting and how to install a new ROM on SGS2,
But this guide after rooting process will be same to flash the Custom ROM on other devices as well.

Rooting of GB devices

I'm not responsible for any harm to your device in this process, you are doing it on your own risk. By doing this you're voiding warranty of your product.

2.3.3/2.3.6 User should have to take a look on Chainfire's CFRoot method. However 2.3.3 can be rooted through recovery but 2.3.6 can't be without CFRoot method.

Needed tool for rooting GB
  • PC
  • Samsung USB drivers
  • Odin3
  • CFRooted stock kernel

Instructions-
  • Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
  • Unzip the attached CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.zip
  • (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
  • Start ODIN
  • Click the PDA button, and select CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar
  • Put your phone in download mode
  • (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
  • Make sure repartition is NOT checked
  • Click the START button
  • Wait for the phone to reboot
  • Done

Now you have rooted phone with custom recovery. Thanks to @Chainfire for his awesome work.

Rooting of ICS

So for rooting the SGS2 we have a lots of guides but there is the much safe way to root it flashing the script via Stock recovery. So Philz has overcome to this problem with his awesome Kernel and with this thread named [ICS/JB]Universal Rooting for most phones, Any ROM, now with CWM6.

Instructions-
  • Copy the Root_XXX.zip file you downloaded to externalsd card
  • Boot into stock recovery (volume up+home+power), and select "apply update from external storage". Now select the Root_XXX.zip file downloaded above and you are rooted
  • To unroot, do the above steps and replace the file Root_XXX.zip by the attached Unroot_SuperUser-Busybox-Uninstaller-Update2-signed.zip. It will delete superuser, su and busybox packages.

Download links-
Root_SuperSU.0.98-Busybox.1.20.2-signed.zip
Unroot_SuperUser-Busybox-Uninstaller-Update2-signed.zip

Thanks to @Phil3759 for his awesome thread. Now you need custom kernels which should have the custom recovery, for that you can use DorimanX or Siyah kernel which are brickbug free.

Or you can just download the PhilzKernelCWM.zip with your matched code or at least similar kernel code and put it on your external SD card and then reboot into recovery by Holding the three combo key (Volumeup + Home + Power) and then choose option “Install Update zip” and choose the PhilzCWM.zip and flash it. After flashing done, you have rooted your Phone successfully with SuperSU installed. Now reboot to the recovery again and backup your ROM.

For JB release rooting

Just flash the philz kernel from the stock recovery and you are rooted.

Now time to Backup your current ROM before flashing the new Custom ROM on your device, it is recommended in case when something happen bad. If you are running 4.0.3 or 4.0.4 then the backup process is very simple just reboot into recovery and then touch the Backup option and that’s all, your all apps, contacts, sms and data will be backed up by default, and this backup will be placed on external sd card in Clockworkmod/Backup path by default.

But if you are running JB 4.1.2 then the backup job is not easy on all recovery’s. There is an extra folder called Preload is very important one where your all system apps have been placed, which is not included in simple backup process. So the drill starts here…..Reboot into recovery select option “Backup and Restore

Now select the option “Advance Backup and Restore

Now select the “Custom Backup Job”. There you have tick the “Preload” folder and then scroll down and “Start custom Backup job” And then it will ask where you want to store the backup on you “Intenal/External Stroage”. After selecting the storage path it will start the backup process. When it finished you are ready to install the new ROM.

Note: If you don’t want to do this manually then I recommend the Apolo kernel which can backup the Preload by default no need of custom backup

NOTE: Before doing the below steps, backup your all apps and data using “Helium” or “Go backup” from play store to restore them on your newly flashed ROM. As after wipe data/reset you will lost all your contacts, Sms’s, and app and their data.

Now select the option “Wipe Data/ Factory reset” and then choose the second option “Clean to Install a New ROM”.

Note: I’ve seen this option in Philz only which is for Samsung only, non Samsung users have to select the first option and then follow these steps:
Wipe cache
Advanced/Wipe Dalvik cache

Now Select the option “Install Zip” and choose your zip from either Internal SD card or External SD Card wherever you have put the downloaded ROM zip file and flash it. Let’s finish the process and now reboot your system, it will take about 5-10 Min on first boot so don’t panic.

My credit and thanks

A big thanks to my NeatROM family.
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to avirk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift avirk Ad-Free

25th August 2013, 12:07 PM |#2  
Flag Delhi College of Engineering (Delhi Technological University)
Thanks Meter: 10,046

Donate to Me
More
Good work buddy. :thumbup:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeetu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jeetu Ad-Free
25th August 2013, 12:14 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeetu

Thanks buddy. I really want to make it good. Just shout for edit anything there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avirk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift avirk Ad-Free
25th August 2013, 12:57 PM |#4  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 53,723

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeetu

+1 :thumbup:

Sent from my NeatRom'ed GT-I9300 wifi hotspoting from my NeatRom'ed GT-I9100

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by avirk

Thanks buddy. I really want to make it good. Just shout for edit anything there.

Check pm mate

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _Sale_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift _Sale_ Ad-Free
25th August 2013, 01:01 PM |#5  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sale_

+1 :thumbup:

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Check pm mate

Thanks master. You are always welcome. If its nee any edit just tell me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to avirk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift avirk Ad-Free
25th August 2013, 01:07 PM |#6  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 1,401

More
Great Guide

Good Job Done
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucky_sidhu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lucky_sidhu Ad-Free
25th August 2013, 01:09 PM |#7  
Flag Cherchell
Thanks Meter: 399

More
Great guide mate

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9100 en utilisant Tapatalk 4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadekmefti For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sadekmefti Ad-Free
25th August 2013, 01:11 PM |#8  
Flag Hidden Leaf Village
Thanks Meter: 13,269

Donate to Me
More
Nyc my bro :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Kepp it Up
Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to ICS_XD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ICS_XD Ad-Free
25th August 2013, 01:35 PM |#9  

Donate to Me
More
A big Thanks to all of you guys.

The Following User Says Thank You to avirk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift avirk Ad-Free
25th August 2013, 01:58 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 26,989

More
Hey avirk, nice job. :thumbup:

3 things to mention:
1. There's no Philz kernel for GB ROMs.
2. They will end up with Superuser, not SuperSu
3. I think after ticking preload in Custom backup job, it is a good idea to Save Philz settings because it needs to stay ticked for restoring backup with preload included as well.

Cheers.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to electricsheepdreamer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift electricsheepdreamer Ad-Free
25th August 2013, 02:16 PM |#11  
Flag Novi Sad
Thanks Meter: 1,862

Donate to Me
More
Nice Avirk, good luck :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gorandroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gorandroid Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
flash a new rom, root / cwm / install custom rom

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)