FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide/Info] What you need to include to get help

3,454 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,902

By kilometers4, Senior Member on 5th August 2012, 09:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have noticed that people in the q and a section are not posting nearly enough information in their post or title to get the information they need. This causes people to ask lots of questions and delay getting the answer they need. So this guide will show you what you need to include in your post to get the most efficient answer to your question.

We'll start with the Title:
- Please do not just say "HALP, PHONE BROKE" or "HELP" , etc.
- You need to be precise, and describe what you're looking for in your thread.

Next, the information you need to state before you even get into asking your question.
- The make of your phone. There are many different variants of your device. I9100 G/M/P/T
- Are you rooted/unrooted?
- What rom you are using? And which version? -and- What kernel are you using? And which version?
- Have you flashed any mods/scripts/themes?
- Have you changed DPI? If yes, to what?
- Have you done anything to try to solve your issue? This would be very valuable information.
- Please (if on stock firmware) dial *#1234# and post the results (thanks to fxrb)

Then you can ask your question.
- Do not ask "What rom/kernel/theme is the best?" -or- Something that you have not searched for (it is infact very obvious if you havent)
- Be specific and precise in what you want/need. Do not write a 10, 000 word essay, or a 3 word question.
- Pictures say a 1000 words

Important things to remember:
- Be polite: People never want to help someone who wont appreciate it, or is rude to them. Remember your p's and q's
- Do not bump your thread: It gets annoying and against the rules

This is under construction and will take a bit to include all of the information needed. I know there are lots of more experienced users than I, and would love feedback of what to include. Please do not hesitate to post in the thread or even PM me with information you think needs to be included in this thread.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to kilometers4 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kilometers4 Ad-Free

5th August 2012, 09:33 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Stickies

- DO NOT POST A "What's the best ROM/Kernel/Theme?" THREAD!
- [Newbies][Experienced Users][RCs] New members friendly Q&A thread
- [KERNEL][REF][Q&A] Siyah 5.0+[ICS/CM10] 6.0b5+[JB/CM10.1] +DISCUSSION+. NON-DEV!!!
- Australian AU Galaxy S II (help/rooting/updates,etc)
- SGS2 Canadian Thread (Bell/Virgin/Sasktel/Rogers) Root/Unlock/Firmware/Modems/Mods
- New here? READ THIS THREAD FIRST. What Is Recovery & Download Mode?
- Frequently Asked Questions
5th August 2012, 09:33 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
One more: That's it
6th August 2012, 01:40 AM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Land of Ooo
Thanks Meter: 1,689

More
nice this should put an end to all "not understandable" questions out there
6th August 2012, 02:28 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhatt

nice this should put an end to all "not understandable" questions out there

Hopefully. I'm just hoping people see it and follow it
6th August 2012, 07:34 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 908

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilometers4

Hopefully. I'm just hoping people see it and follow it

The thought is nice... but unless this is stickied (and even then), this thread will fall off the first page, and since the vast majority of n00bs (not new members, but "n00bs" - there's a huge difference) won't search, they won't see it.

Heck, there have been dozens of posts since you posted this that have been terribly short of any information.

But I applaud the thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to ctomgee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ctomgee Ad-Free
6th August 2012, 08:22 PM |#7  
Flag on top of your mother
Thanks Meter: 753

Donate to Me
More
You have to think how them noobs operate.They muck up their phone,stick the symptoms in a google search,and want an answer asap.
So they are not going to spend hours reading rules and stickies or use the search function.
I spent a week reading about stuff for the x10i I had before I decided to do anything to it.That way at least I had half an idea what helpers were talking about when/if I got into trouble.

When I joined this forum the s2 looked a lot more complicated and the forum looked a lot more "vicious"(like give that guy 20xlashes since he didnt do a search).

Its a tough world lol

Sent from my GT-I9100
6th August 2012, 09:54 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctomgee

The thought is nice... but unless this is stickied (and even then), this thread will fall off the first page, and since the vast majority of n00bs (not new members, but "n00bs" - there's a huge difference) won't search, they won't see it.

Heck, there have been dozens of posts since you posted this that have been terribly short of any information.

But I applaud the thought.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping eventually happens, it gets stickied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderling

You have to think how them noobs operate.They muck up their phone,stick the symptoms in a google search,and want an answer asap.
So they are not going to spend hours reading rules and stickies or use the search function.
I spent a week reading about stuff for the x10i I had before I decided to do anything to it.That way at least I had half an idea what helpers were talking about when/if I got into trouble.

When I joined this forum the s2 looked a lot more complicated and the forum looked a lot more "vicious"(like give that guy 20xlashes since he didnt do a search).

Its a tough world lol

Sent from my GT-I9100

Yea, but we have to try. At least now we have something to guide them to and for the new people to refer to. If we dont at least have a guide for how to get good answers to their questions theirs no standard.. Now there is
7th August 2012, 09:22 PM |#9  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 1,667

Donate to Me
More
Nice thread

hope users follow this
8th August 2012, 08:31 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3,252

More
Doubt many people will take notice of this (for a whole host of reasons; don't get me started), but props for trying (thanked OP).

Edit - Oops. Sorry. So used to giving crap threads on here one star I did it to yours accidentally (intended to give it 5).
8th August 2012, 11:51 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
+1 to search first before posting.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
guide

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)