ICS wifi freezing issue

Search This thread

ankurprime

Mar 17, 2012
Dhanbad
I'm facing same problem and it's very irritating. I originally flashed xxlpq and did a full wipe and factory reset, within 2 days this problem started..
I've flashed kernel for xxlp2 and then xwlp3, not sure if it makes a difference though..

Can someone point out a solution to this freezing except rebooting because to restart every time i want to connect to wifi is a headache..

Thanks.. :)

Mr Anderson

Nov 14, 2008
I have the same issue also.

Mine is a stock ICS 4.03 official over-the-air download (my phone originated in Poland so I have access to the official release), rooted with CF-Root-SGS2_XX_XEO_LPQ-v5.4-CWM5.

The wifi is not frozen as such. It just takes about five minutes to connect so it looks for all the world like it is frozen. I tried deleting all my saved wifi keys and switched on/off several times which worked okay, so I thought I might have fixed it. Sadly today the problem returned. :(

I'm wondering if returning to the official stock kernel might resolve the issue.

If I return to the official stock kernel will I lose the root, or will it stay? The rooting method I used on the older firmware allowed me to return to the stock kernel whilst retaining access to the root, but I've not seen anything indicating whether or not this will work using the rooting method above.

Apologies if this is a n00b question - I'm still an Android novice... :)

ankurprime

Mar 17, 2012
Dhanbad
Ok.. Maybe i found a solution.
Dial *#1234# and see your PDA version. For example, I'm rooted and my PDA is XXLPQ and since i was rooted i flashed a separate kernel to remove the yellow triangle, hence CWM menu showed kernel version: unknown. I tried different kernels like stock LP2, LP3 etc but the wifi problem persisted. I read somewhere that kernel is responsible for wifi drivers. Ultimately, i flashed LPQ kernel (CF root 5.4), and now the wifi works perfect, even after extended periods when i try to reconnect. Also my CWM manager properly shows My kernel version.

So line is, flash the proper kernel and wifi should work.

Flash05

Jul 13, 2010
is the problem present also in branded firmwares? guys can you confirm?

i just have a thought that these firmwares undergone heavy tests under telcos' scrutiny/QA

the_desperado

Sep 9, 2009
I noticed that the issue is somehow linked to sdcard. Remove sdcard from the phone and u never face it.

There is an open issue related to freeze and reboot when a large number of apps are moved or installed on sd

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Flash05

Jul 13, 2010
i have a friend who doesn't have SD and the problem still persists.

or should i ask her to move the apps all to internal?

Dec 6, 2011
In fact, factory reset didn't work for me. But for those SGS2 owners who are not afraid of using a custom kernel, there may be a solution. It seems that the problem was fixed on SiyahKernel v3.1rc2 and above. I'm using it for the last three days and the problem does not occur anymore.

SiyahKernel v3.1rc2
Posted on April 13, 2012
Changelog:

removed 1600MHz and 100MHz steps
merged with cm9 sources (some patches for at&t version and lots of cleanups/rewrites. thanks to teamhacksung and Entropy512)
updated the build script a little to fix the module loading issues (which is, by the way, the main root of wifi toggling issues)

the_desperado

Sep 9, 2009
i have a friend who doesn't have SD and the problem still persists.

or should i ask her to move the apps all to internal?

My issue was because I had more than 200 apps on sd while it looks like there is a limit of around 70. If you have more than 70 on sd try to move some

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ankurprime

Mar 17, 2012
Dhanbad
In fact, factory reset didn't work for me. But for those SGS2 owners who are not afraid of using a custom kernel, there may be a solution. It seems that the problem was fixed on SiyahKernel v3.1rc2 and above. I'm using it for the last three days and the problem does not occur anymore.

SiyahKernel v3.1rc2
Posted on April 13, 2012
Changelog:

removed 1600MHz and 100MHz steps
merged with cm9 sources (some patches for at&t version and lots of cleanups/rewrites. thanks to teamhacksung and Entropy512)
updated the build script a little to fix the module loading issues (which is, by the way, the main root of wifi toggling issues)

how about now? it works?

Flash05

Jul 13, 2010
i thought factory reset fixed this issue. it happened to me again once after my all apps FCed and did reset.

i now trying if this will happen again by setting the wifi to 2.4ghz. i read it here somewhere.

Dec 6, 2011
Using siyah kernel for the last 5 days and the problem didn't happend anymore. Went back to speedmod kernel today and the problem appeared again. I reaaly think siyah kernel has solved it, for those who tried with no success, i recommend flash it again but run a kernel cleaning script before.

AkaMod

Oct 11, 2011
Brazil
I'm having this issue since I have updated to ICS Official through KIES and the special fact that a few days ago when I was going to my work, I forgot the Wifi powered On. lol

I have noted that it always occur when I don't use Wifi for a few hours, then when I try to activate it, it freezes and the only solution is take off the battery. My suggestions are:

1) Before activate Wifi, Reload the wifi driver typing *#*#526#*#* (source: hxxp://androidadvices.com/fix-android-wifi-problems-connection-issues).
2) If it doesn't work Restart the phone before activate it.
3) Try some custom kernel (Siyah, N.E.A.K. and etc) .

Btw, Factory reset doesn't fix it.

Maybe switching Wifi Sleep policy to "only when conected" in "Settings > Wifi > Advanced can be a workaround too. I'm trying this now and will keep you informed. :p

ankurprime

Mar 17, 2012
Dhanbad
I have noted that it always occur when I don't use Wifi for a few hours, then when I try to activate it, it freezes and the only solution is take off the battery.

Exactly! I've tried almost all the offcial fw <<with full wipes evrytime, even USB storage wipe! had to reinstall from backup 4 times in 5 days.. frustating!>> and was getting that annoying bug everytime, until i was on XWLP4. Bug was still there but switching airplane mode on/off worked on it and i managed to put a uptime of 150 hrs on my phone without having to restart.

Then i flashed CF Root LPS and airplane mode on/off wasn't working anymore.

Not wanting to live with that bug anymore, i wiped everything again one final time and reflashed stock LP4. Bug is still there but it now goes on 4 days without any freeze, then it freezes and i have to restart again and now again its working for 3 days in a row. Atleast its not as frustating as restating every 12 hrs. -- And that was what i did for last 15 days!

Haven't tried Siyah kernel yet, some report its working and some not. I'm tired of flashing now. ;)

Red_Vex

Jan 20, 2011
Happen to me with XWLP7 XEN and Cf root.
Activating wifi direct do the trick but every times i try to reconnect 2/3 times get it stuck. Only reboot avoid the problem for a while.

cabloomi

Feb 25, 2012
Iraq
your on the wrong ics rom

your on the wrong rom, the rom you are on is old, its most likely has bugs, the 2 best ics roms out there are HyDrOG3N ROM and D4 ROM
to find them use the search engine

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why do you people use Siyah and complain?
    JUST USE THE STOCK KERNEL

THE STOCK KERNEL HAS THE WIFI BUG!

Give the guy a break - he wasn't complaining, merely pointing out that for him the Siyah kernel does not solve the wifi bug. Pretty useful information given that earlier posts are suggesting this might be a solution.
    I am facing same wifi freezing issue on Siyah v3.1rc5 kernel :(
    set the wifi to use 2.4Ghz. the bug hasn't occurred yet for 3 days. i always do on/off wifi because im mobile.

factory reset - doesnt work
    fresh odin flash - doesnt work, confirmed by others and a friend
    custom kernel - not sure, some positive and false positive results
    wifi direct toggle - temporary but sometimes work
    airplane mode toggle - same as wifi direct
    reboot - obviously fixes the issue.

when your phone sleeps and can't wake, dont remove the battery. press and hold on/lock button for 5 seconds. will do force reboot.
    Setting WiFi to 2.4GHz did not help, WiFi still freezes... :(