FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] light sensor problem

75 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By JackYack13, Member on 12th April 2013, 12:20 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I don't know if this is normal on the stock samsung rom because I've been using cyanogenmod for the last few months. But recently I flashed a stock jelly bean rom for sgs2 (XXMS1) and the light sensor doesn't work properly. When I download some app which shows output values from different sensors, such as "android sensor box" it always shows values of either 10, 100, 1000, or 10000 for the light sensor, which is pretty inaccurate (the same app would show very accurate values on cyanogenmod 10.1). It does that for any other app capable of showing light sensor output. However, when I use the built in sensor tool when you type *#0*# in the dialer app then it will show me quite accurate values only rounded by 5.

I also noticed that the automatic brightness feature is not working like it should, probably because of this. When the sensor shows 10 the screen will just go to the darkest possible mode and then it will go bright all of the sudden when it changes to 100. For example because of the lighting in my room, it will just keep changing depending on which way the screen is facing. It will just be a bit too bright and then suddenly become too dark. Has anyone ever had a similar problem? Why is the light sensor so inaccurate, even though it shows proper values in the sensor thing in *#0*# ?

12th April 2013, 03:28 AM |#2  
Flag singapore
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Unhappy
i have the same problem...sometimes the sensor don't change the screen brightness . i have to manual adjust by adding widget on the main screen. any pro helping on this ? but sometimes its ok ...don't really knwo what happen. my SGS 2 flash to CM 10 .
12th April 2013, 05:29 AM |#3  
Flag Malappuram, Kerala
Thanks Meter: 1,890

More
No such issues on stock. Have you done a factory reset after flashing stock?

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
Sent from my SGS II
12th April 2013, 07:45 PM |#4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalneo

No such issues on stock. Have you done a factory reset after flashing stock?

Sent from my SGS II

Wiped data, cache, dalvik cache and flashed it again. Nothing changed. The light sensor still shows only 10, 100, 1000 and 10000.
12th April 2013, 11:36 PM |#5  
Flag Malappuram, Kerala
Thanks Meter: 1,890

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackYack13

Wiped data, cache, dalvik cache and flashed it again. Nothing changed. The light sensor still shows only 10, 100, 1000 and 10000.

Check out this thread with the same problem:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1643974

But its not on stock though.

Sent from my SGS II

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 AM ----------

So sorry mate, but that's normal I guess. Just checked mine using Andro Sensor app, and I get 10, 100, 1000 values!! However, I do not have the screen brightness issues that you have.

I did a search and found that this light sensor issue was very common in CM9. Samsung is to be blamed for it.

Sent from my SGS II
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)