Nexus S or wait for GS II?

Search This thread

solidkevin

Mar 15, 2010
Damn, GSII Is coming may first, I love the NS but man GSII is a beast, I have the money right now for NS but Im sure GSII will be a LOT.

What do YOU think?

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

dhruvmalik

Dec 30, 2007
Chicago / India
Absolutely, its miles ahead as far as the advancements are concerned.

1Ghz vs 1.2Ghz Dual Core Cortex A9's on the S II
512MB Ram vs 1GB Ram on the S II
4 in SAMOLED vs 4.3 in SAMOLED +

solidkevin

Mar 15, 2010
I wouldnt mind waiting if I had the money, but I feel like I need to stop switching phones so much, I may go with NS for a year or 2, It has all I need after after all, I dont root or rom so in all honesty I think all that 1gb ram, dual core stuff I wont need, all I do is play music web browse, use phone and use some apps, thats it...I dont see the need to wait and spend even more for things that I dont need, I really need to stop getting phone after phone because some new specs come out, NS has all I need, hopefully it will be like that for a couple years until I really need a new phone rather then want, I know the techies want the latest and greatest but to the average user, they dont care as long as it has the things you need rather then ram, processer etc, I need to start thinking like that rather then drooling over every new phone, its a waste of money.

Just my opinion, hopefully NS can last me.

Banner

Mar 1, 2008
I also am not prone to change phones often. My current phone is an HTC Touch Dual I've had for like 4 years.BUT I like to buy the best when I do; which right now happens to be the Galaxy SII. That's why I've preordered already.

dhruvmalik

Dec 30, 2007
Chicago / India
In that case, it is better to somewhat future proof your investment by buying the current technology and utilizing it to the fullest.

SGSII will be better for you in the long run.

solidkevin

Mar 15, 2010
Yea but how much lol? I can get the NS for $560, whats the GSII gonna be? $700?

AJerman

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 18, 2007
Colorado
We can't tell you for sure until it's announced in each region, but it's definitely worth the wait to find out. You're talking about buying a last gen phone vs a cutting edge phone basically. Do you want to spend $500 and have an already outdated phone, or maybe roughly the same, maybe a little more for a top of the line phone? The Nexus S is a great phone for sure, but this is a fast paced industry and with the dual core CPUs and the new SAMOLED+ screen, I think it's worth the wait and maybe a little more money.

cynikalJ

May 24, 2010
Yea get the galaxy s 2 just don't expect any software updated...

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App

HappyBallz

Jul 27, 2010
Yea get the galaxy s 2 just don't expect any software updated...

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App

That is where the phone being not boot-locked and XDA developers come in...and personaly for me this will be the deciding factor as I know how slow both my carrier (A$&$) and Samsung about releasing software updates.:rolleyes:rolleyes::p

Samsung have been improving with frequence of updates however...at least for some phones...
Nexus S is a cool phone but I could never understand why they castrated some parts off of it.:confused:

buttes

Jan 20, 2011
Updates are nice, yes, but since the phone comes with 2.3, it probably won't be a big deal to me. The wait from 2.1 to 2.2 was horrible because Flash is such a huge addition, but have they said what the killer feature will be past Gingerbread? I doubt it'll be as huge as Flash was.

solidkevin

Mar 15, 2010
Went ahead and got the NS, glad I did, I will be happy with it as it is the full google experience, great looking phone, SAmoled, I mean it has everything I need, Im sure the SAmoled+ will be cool but thats the main thing I would want, back when I had the captivate only things I wanted was that ATT would not block apps, a camera flash, and a FFC, now I have it all! What more do I need, perhaps in 1 1/2-2 years I get the Dual Core stuff, but for now Im sure the NS will be perfect for me and my needs.

EleCtrOx666

Aug 6, 2009
Updates are nice, yes, but since the phone comes with 2.3, it probably won't be a big deal to me. The wait from 2.1 to 2.2 was horrible because Flash is such a huge addition, but have they said what the killer feature will be past Gingerbread? I doubt it'll be as huge as Flash was.

GPU acceleration probably.

You have my sincere condolences.
+1.

But profit from it though, it's still a great Android Phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I pretty much had the same question as the OP did which was deciding between NS or SGSII. I am currently on a Captivate.

I was leaning towards the NS as it's already available in Canada at a fairly low price ($425 off contract) but I don't think I can justify the purchase. It's basically the same phone except with expedited updates and little fixes everywhere else. My thought behind switching in the first place was that I could ditch the Captivate now while it still has value and get a Nexus phone which usually retains their value the best for Android (Nexus One still sells for 300 bucks used in Canada while the Captivate is around the same price). Still, at the end of the day, I couldn't do it.

One thing I did come to realize though is that I will probably only go for Nexus phones from here on out. I looked at the SGSII but quite honesty, I am not that excited over it. There is something about how Samsung handled the Captivate that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The SGSII will probably come along with it's own set of bugs and a dual-core processor that won't be fully utilized until an OS comes out that optimizes it. Ontop of that, being only announced for the UK on May 1, I predict that it will take quite a bit before I reaches the US, and finally Canada. As such I will probably take a pass.

I think the perfect phone worth waiting for for me would the be Nexus 3. It is rumored to come out at the end of the year and would be a dual-core offering with hardware by LG. As this will be a Nexus dual-core, you can be certain that the OS will be optimized for it. This Nexus phone will hopefully be a greater upgrade from a Nexus S than the Nexus S was from the Nexus One. I'm pretty sure it will be as dual-core is the killer feature while the Nexus S never really had one. Seeing as it's already mid-April, December isn't really that far off. Seeing as T-Mobile is now AT&T, we can be sure that a 3G compatible version that will work with AT&T and thus Rogers up here in Canada will be the initial version.

Anyways, I think the Nexus 3 is worth waiting for at this point. It will be the game-changer for sure.
    Dont take it the wrong way, education is important and but that piece of paper you get at the end is what gives you a rank.

:)

Thanks for the Thanks.
    IMHO, education gives you nothing if you are, as a person, a complete idiot with no communication and social skills, because practice, almost 100% of the time, differs from theory. In short, if you are academically smart, by no means that automatically implies that you know your way around in life.
    By getting a good job, you must sell your self as good as possible, so that the competition is left in the shadows. And trust me, past work practice gives a lot more than some green boy, who never worked, but has hes diploma in theory. Giving the right impression of your self, this is where social skills come in handy. If you are well spoken, that gives you even more. If you show that you are eager and ready to give it your all, that where selling your self swoops in.
    But if you only rely on a pricey education document to give you the edge above everyone else, that is what we call, my friends, naive.
    I live in a country where the economy is in the '****ter', where almost half of the population has left the country to search for a better life behind boarders. Here, if you are without a job, that is considered - oh, well, the luck of everyone. That is normal! I got a job, with middle school education and in the job interview many, and I mean many newbies with a superb education were left behind, because they don't know they way around and they just didn't know how to sell them selfs.
    It is just about the way you are, really, your worth, not how many years you spent studying. Grades? No matter. They do nothing if you can't convince nobody of what is the worth of knowing that and use it in real life situations, make decisions fast and use your imagination.
    bla, bla, bla, bla...
    Everything I just said dos not apply to medical personal.
    Defenetly it would be better bet if it had dual core. Nexus one was much better bet last year than Nexus S this year. Next Android version (IceCream?) should be bigger update (features from Honeycomb), UI will be richer, which means it will run better on dual core phones.

If Google would rather wait a few months and offer Galaxy S2 as a Nexus One successor, it would be the best seller IMO, everyone would want this phone. Because of dated hardware in Nexus S its hard to say what is better bet for a future.

Android OS is already SMP aware. GPU acceleration is what makes the OS smooth, and that doesnt require dual core. It will be a while before a majority of apps are multithreaded so the benefits of DC will be minimal for a while.

I'd much rather trade getting ice cream way before anyone else on a single core nexus than having a little bit of extra horsepower from DC. By the time DC is actually useful the next nexus will be out with the latest version of android before everyone else (again).