FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

New here? READ THIS THREAD FIRST. What Is Recovery & Download Mode?

19,554 posts
Thanks Meter: 11,690

By pulser_g2, Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer on 21st June 2011, 07:48 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm now going to try and explain some basic concepts of the SGS2, in a very simple way, with illustrations. First of all, a few pieces of terminology.

CWM (Clockworkmod) Recovery Mode:

After flashing a CWM kernel (like CF-Root), you enter recovery with the key combination of Vol Up + Home + Power

CWM recovery is where you flash ROMs, and other zip files. Use the volume keys to navigate, and the home key to select.

Stock (3e) Recovery (not much use):

Entered with the key combination of Vol Up + Home + Power. Not readily accessible if using a CWM kernel like CF-Root

This is the default Android recovery image. It is of little use other than wiping the data partition via factory reset. If you have this, you are NOT ready to start flashing custom ROMs, and will get various errors until you have recovery showing like in the first picture.

Download mode (for use with ODIN/Heimdall):

Accessible on all phones, regardless of kernel via Vol Down + Home + Power

This is where you flash tar or tar.md5 files from ODIN on your PC.

Don't mix up these different modes. Each has a different purpose. So now you know what each mode is, and how to get to it.
The Following 122 Users Say Thank You to pulser_g2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

21st June 2011, 07:56 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 7,064

Donate to Me
More
Vol Up + Home + Power , if you press Power button first the phone will just turn on and start booting.

Great guide btw, going to be helpful to a lot of people
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geko95gek For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift geko95gek Ad-Free
21st June 2011, 08:19 PM |#3  
Flag Lancaster
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Knew that. Though I too had to search for this before, so it's good for the new users. Should be sticky so that people don't ask un-necessary questions of this type before they even search. You could also add many more basics things. I may, also, have something more to learn here.

Good Work Mate.

Edit: Forgot to see download mode.
21st June 2011, 09:00 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Thanks
As usual helpful and clear,

Thanks,
21st June 2011, 09:40 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
i would like to make the small suggestion of adding the words "Recovery and Download Mode and other essential things to know" to the thread title (the last bit in case you want to expand on the info later on).
The Following User Says Thank You to AnDruid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AnDruid Ad-Free
21st June 2011, 11:40 PM |#6  

More
Red face yo
Thanks for that very helpful. can i ask though what is that cant access system/csc/***/system/ error in recovery e3 all about?
21st June 2011, 11:43 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Great, should be stickied.
I think it could also benefits the newcomers if an explanation was given regarding:
- the fact that ROMs can also include a kernel which contains CWM (wasn't clear to me first time I flashed my SGS2)
- the fact that CWM also comes as part of an app (rom manager) but that ironically you need a custom kernel to reboot in R&D mode (again something I had a hard time understanding at the beginning).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cigaro78 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cigaro78 Ad-Free
21st June 2011, 11:53 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealtb

Thanks for that very helpful. can i ask though what is that cant access system/csc/***/system/ error in recovery e3 all about?

As I understand, just as a demonstration Pulser was trying to flash a multi-language CSC package in CWM recovery. Which doesn't work.

So please don't try this at home, because your shiny new phone might explode into a cloud of Anthrax.

22nd June 2011, 12:11 AM |#9  

More
I rooted my phone with cf root firmware and then reflashed the stock kernal over the top to get rid of the yellow exclamation mark... thats when i got that system csc error... I just reflashed the cf firmware and are living with the yella ! Until i get a jig. strange.

Also are there any guides on samsung modding... firmware/kernal/rom info. i came from modding my motorola backflip. it was quite simply just flash the rom no firmware kernel etc... so i feel out of my depth a little. any links or help much appreciated
The Following User Says Thank You to unrealtb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift unrealtb Ad-Free
22nd June 2011, 12:23 AM |#10  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealtb

I rooted my phone with cf root firmware and then reflashed the stock kernal over the top to get rid of the yellow exclamation mark... thats when i got that system csc error... I just reflashed the cf firmware and are living with the yella ! Until i get a jig. strange.

Also are there any guides on samsung modding... firmware/kernal/rom info. i came from modding my motorola backflip. it was quite simply just flash the rom no firmware kernel etc... so i feel out of my depth a little. any links or help much appreciated

Well stock kernel is supposed to be flashed in ODIN (download mode), after you flash that then you can boot to system and use CWM app to flash zImage extracted from CF-Root kernel package. After reboot the triangle will dissapear.

Anyways here is the link to a root guide and stock firmwares:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1075278
23rd June 2011, 09:37 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi,

Last night I have upgrade i9100 with wrong version, and now cannot tune on the power and cannot going to download mode again.

I tried to recovery mode with "adb reboot recovery" but show "Device not found" on PC.

Pls, asvise to me.

Thanks.

leksirichai@gmail.com
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)