[Q] S2 HD LTE SHV-E120K Reboots...

Search This thread

T_ADD

Sep 7, 2011
Hi, I'm a bit stuck with a problem on my S2 HD LTE SHV-E120K. While once playing a game the phone heated up pretty much (the charger was connected). After that it rebooted. I thought that the stock ROM got corrupted so I changed the recovery from Tegrak (phone was rooted with this a while back) to CWM 6.0.3.6 and loaded CM10.2 (cm-10.2-20131027-NIGHTLY-dalikt). To my surprise its still rebooting. But when I disconnect the charger the phone reboots and at times when charging it also reboots. If the charger is not connected the phone does not boot up.

Can anyone say what or where the problem may be?:crying:

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Sounds like USB board on the fritz. I don't know for certain if your specific variant uses the exact same boards as the I9100, but have a look at KeithRoss39's guide to replacing the USB board in General (search for 'replacing USB charger board').

You'll probably find Keith's how-to will hold true for your model as well (so far as following the same procedure goes), you just have to ensure you order the correct replacement part - and the way you do that is by removing the board currently in the phone, noting the revision or part number, and making sure you order the exact same part.

Reactions: T_ADD

T_ADD

Sep 7, 2011
Wow! I did suspect this but never thought it could be the case. I'll look at that article. But anymore suggestions are welcome.

But if the battery is fully charged then the phone should boot up without a problem right? But it doesn't It needs the charger to be connected for it to boot.

When you say USB board would you be able to say if you mean the USB port specifically or some small chip on the USB board assembly?

Last edited:

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
The board has the port attached and is really cheap to replace (~US$10 or so), and quite replaceable by most people if you follow Keith's guide. When the board starts acting up, it often shows symptoms you're describing. And as it's a cheap/easy fix, that's what I'd be doing. Try a clean install of stock first (even if you've come from stock recently) to absolutely rule out a rom-side problem if you want to. I'd be surprised if it's still not the same though.

As to specifically what component on the board is causing the issue, no way to say for certain, and it's not really relevant here; the fix is still replacing the entire board given the modular design of phones these days & the low cost of doing so.

I saw Keith post to another thread in Q&A just now, I'm sure he'll also post to this thread & give you a bit more info (he's the resident expert on these things here).

Reactions: T_ADD

T_ADD

Sep 7, 2011
Ok got you. I have not been able to find any links to stock rom downloads. Do you have any? Also, what recovery is to be used with the stock rom? My phone was bought from Korea on ebay. It displays ''Olleh'' in the boot image. Just to let you know so you may be able to figure out which stock rom this is.

Last edited:

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I've checked Samfirmware, and they don't have firmware for your device specifically, so I have no idea (beyond Googling) where you might find stock firmware or if you can use firmware from other devices in the same 'SHV' family. I honestly don't know.

I gave you advice about the USB board because it's generic & quite likely the source of your problems, but I'm not even a little familiar with your device so I can't give you detailed/specific help with it.

Given how little traffic the S2 forums get these days & how few people here have SHV devices, your best bet (other than waiting, and it could be a very long wait) is to trawl through the forums here with XDA searches (or Google searches with XDA appended to your search terms, XDA search isn't the best at times) to find the info you need.

Reactions: T_ADD and Hopper8

T_ADD

Sep 7, 2011
Would you know how to remove CWM recovery and get it back to stock recovery after I install the stock rom?

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
If you flash a stock rom, stock recovery will overwrite CWM. Everything will be stock (recovery, kernel, etc).

Edit - Assuming your phone is similar to the I9100 in having recovery baked into the kernel (unlike more recent Samsung phones which have the kernel & recovery in separate partitions).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've checked Samfirmware, and they don't have firmware for your device specifically, so I have no idea (beyond Googling) where you might find stock firmware or if you can use firmware from other devices in the same 'SHV' family. I honestly don't know.

I gave you advice about the USB board because it's generic & quite likely the source of your problems, but I'm not even a little familiar with your device so I can't give you detailed/specific help with it.

Given how little traffic the S2 forums get these days & how few people here have SHV devices, your best bet (other than waiting, and it could be a very long wait) is to trawl through the forums here with XDA searches (or Google searches with XDA appended to your search terms, XDA search isn't the best at times) to find the info you need.
    Sounds like USB board on the fritz. I don't know for certain if your specific variant uses the exact same boards as the I9100, but have a look at KeithRoss39's guide to replacing the USB board in General (search for 'replacing USB charger board').

You'll probably find Keith's how-to will hold true for your model as well (so far as following the same procedure goes), you just have to ensure you order the correct replacement part - and the way you do that is by removing the board currently in the phone, noting the revision or part number, and making sure you order the exact same part.
    The board has the port attached and is really cheap to replace (~US$10 or so), and quite replaceable by most people if you follow Keith's guide. When the board starts acting up, it often shows symptoms you're describing. And as it's a cheap/easy fix, that's what I'd be doing. Try a clean install of stock first (even if you've come from stock recently) to absolutely rule out a rom-side problem if you want to. I'd be surprised if it's still not the same though.

As to specifically what component on the board is causing the issue, no way to say for certain, and it's not really relevant here; the fix is still replacing the entire board given the modular design of phones these days & the low cost of doing so.

I saw Keith post to another thread in Q&A just now, I'm sure he'll also post to this thread & give you a bit more info (he's the resident expert on these things here).