FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

SGS II, Oleophobic coating?

n/a posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By JupiterDroid, Guest on 21st April 2011, 11:40 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Does this beast come with oleophobic coating, or is it just the bare screen?

JD

21st April 2011, 11:51 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
According to Eldar it does have an oleophobic coating
The Following User Says Thank You to ChesterZZ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChesterZZ Ad-Free
JupiterDroid
21st April 2011, 11:54 AM |#3  

More
Fantastic, i will not buy a phone without it

JD
21st April 2011, 01:55 PM |#4  
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 3,721

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterDroid

Fantastic, i will not buy a phone without it

JD

You can always get an anti-glare matte screen protector. I yave one on all my devices, my G2, my Xoom, my EVO. That is the first accessory that I buy.

Of course, I'm assuming you're exaggerating about ditching the phone entirely for that one property, lol.
JupiterDroid
21st April 2011, 02:04 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by open1your1eyes0

You can always get an anti-glare matte screen protector. I yave one on all my devices, my G2, my Xoom, my EVO. That is the first accessory that I buy.

Of course, I'm assuming you're exaggerating about ditching the phone entirely for that one property, lol.

Nope,

Its a big thing when in direct sunlight, oleophobic coating is a must for me, especially coming from the NS, had enough of fingerprint covered screens, the nexus s was a joy

JD
21st April 2011, 04:04 PM |#6  
Flag New York City

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterDroid

Nope,

Its a big thing when in direct sunlight, oleophobic coating is a must for me, especially coming from the NS, had enough of fingerprint covered screens, the nexus s was a joy

JD

Lol wow. Considering the specs of this phone I'd be willing to deal with it being a mirror if I have to just to use it. I mean you're not talking about just any Android phone here.

Performance+Features > Glareless display
21st April 2011, 06:45 PM |#7  
Flag Ankara
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:

Lol wow. Considering the specs of this phone I'd be willing to deal with it being a mirror if I have to just to use it. I mean you're not talking about just any Android phone here.

Performance + feaures = screen

if you cant see it in the outside what would you do with features.
21st April 2011, 06:50 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rouvax

Performance + feaures = screen

if you cant see it in the outside what would you do with features.

That's why there's voice control.
21st April 2011, 07:44 PM |#9  
Flag Moving around in the ancient land
Thanks Meter: 361

More
Quote:

Glare is there on Nexus S (not extremely bad though ) even with Oleophobic coating.
Thats not the advantage of the coating though, and glare is not a big deal if display is bright enough.(read AMOLED) You can always tilt it a bit away from light to get the read from the screen.
Problem is smudges. Those oily messy smudges makes it harder to see even if you tilt it away or in the shadow of your hands in bridght sunlight as light refracts and reflects in all directions thanks to smudges.
With coating and reduced smudges, its easier to see. But it does come at a cost.

The Gorilla glass might be scratch resistant, but if there is this coating on that top of it, it will develop micro scratches as this coating gets scraped off if you nick your screen with something sharp. Plain Gorilla glass would fare better in such cases. So its win some, loose some situation. I doubt there will be any coating on the Gorilla glass. If its there, I would be very surprised as it takes away the advantage of Gorilla Glass.
21st April 2011, 09:05 PM |#10  
Flag New York City

Donate to Me
More
I can honestly say that the standard for smartphone displays is decent enough that I definitly have a couple of priorities above the display that I wouldn't care how good the display is, if doesn't meet those priorities first, I don't want it. Key being carrier, cpu, ram, battery life, size/weight, brand/UI, then the display itself. Like I said, the standard for smartphones is good enough that it's not as important for me as long as a matte screen protector exists for the device (which is pretty much every smartphone). I have yet to meet a modern device display that I cannot tolerate under all conditions. And maybe its just me but I rarely find myself walking under direct sunlight. And even when I do, I try to avoid it (not because of my phone, just I have no joy in it XD).

Just my 2ยข
22nd April 2011, 05:21 AM |#11  
Chicago / India
Thanks Meter: 488

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkym0nkey

Glare is there on Nexus S (not extremely bad though ) even with Oleophobic coating.
Thats not the advantage of the coating though, and glare is not a big deal if display is bright enough.(read AMOLED) You can always tilt it a bit away from light to get the read from the screen.
Problem is smudges. Those oily messy smudges makes it harder to see even if you tilt it away or in the shadow of your hands in bridght sunlight as light refracts and reflects in all directions thanks to smudges.
With coating and reduced smudges, its easier to see. But it does come at a cost.

The Gorilla glass might be scratch resistant, but if there is this coating on that top of it, it will develop micro scratches as this coating gets scraped off if you nick your screen with something sharp. Plain Gorilla glass would fare better in such cases. So its win some, loose some situation. I doubt there will be any coating on the Gorilla glass. If its there, I would be very surprised as it takes away the advantage of Gorilla Glass.

I agree, I think no matter what, I will be putting a screen protector on it. A company called "ScratchGuard" makes one that resists Oil and Fingerprints, maybe that might be the route, although it does reduce some of the screen's clarity.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)