SGS2 ICS battery life

Search This thread

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
After upgrading to ICS (via kies) the battery really sucks. Last for a whole day if im lucky. Is this normal??

From what I've heard, it's usually improved - BUT some power management bugs that affected stock Gingerbread kernels but were fixed in all custom kernels are still present in ICS, such as the good old fuel_alerted wakelock - so while it's better when working well, it's more prone to breaking.

aRc.

Mar 12, 2012
Have you tried putting it on charge at bedtime? I find that helps a lot.:cool:

I would try to avoid over-charging it, it's not good for any battery. Once it hits 100% (so long as it's correctly calibrated) unplug and use as normal.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

lstreet

Sep 25, 2008
same here i upgraded to ICS xxlpq and have been using it for 3 days, im struggling to get a day out of it ... its exactly the same setup as when i ran XEU (KI4) 2.3.4 unbranded UK. I noticed ram usage has increased as well as the amount of system processes. both times I rooted and removed bloatware. when my contract runs out in 6 months I will be looking at either a pure asop phone or an iphone 5, The galaxy s2 has a great screen but the batterylife if weak no matter what custom rom and custom kernal is running. Also I can get a wifi signal in my bedroom with my laptop and my old iphone 3gs but nothing with the s2.

Also please can anyone advise what the best pure and minimilistic asop rom will be for the galaxy s2 ive read cm9 mite be soon but is there anything thats great for battery life ? ...... thanks for you time in advance :=)

Canadoc

Nov 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
same here i upgraded to ICS xxlpq and have been using it for 3 days, im struggling to get a day out of it ... its exactly the same setup as when i ran XEU (KI4) 2.3.4 unbranded UK. I noticed ram usage has increased as well as the amount of system processes. both times I rooted and removed bloatware. when my contract runs out in 6 months I will be looking at either a pure asop phone or an iphone 5, The galaxy s2 has a great screen but the batterylife if weak no matter what custom rom and custom kernal is running. Also I can get a wifi signal in my bedroom with my laptop and my old iphone 3gs but nothing with the s2.

Also please can anyone advise what the best pure and minimilistic asop rom will be for the galaxy s2 ive read cm9 mite be soon but is there anything thats great for battery life ? ...... thanks for you time in advance :=)

Had same problem. Was exchange that was culprit.the exchange client on Samsung based ROM have a ton of wake locks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Alco64

Jan 16, 2012
Upgrading to custom ICS roms is usually a great way to enhance your battery life, because they're always containing tweaks and optimizations!

tobes78

Mar 22, 2012
This worked for me

Device: GT-I9100 (Samsung Galaxy S2 international)
Carrier: Smartone
Country / Language: Hong Kong
OS / Browser / build number (if applicable): ICS 4.0.3/IML74K.ZSLPE

I can confirm that I have resolved the battery drain issue after upgrading to ICS on my device. The problem was partial wake locks caused by the exchange service.

One of these measures fixed the problem for me (it might have been any of these, although I have a strong suspicion that the factory reset is the only relevant one):
- factory reset of phone; didn't restore the settings and accounts, but set them up manually
- wiped cache
- did not reinstall ADW launcher

Hope that helps.

The good news is that now the battery life is definitely better than it was on Gingerbread.

Tobes

Necrolust

Jul 27, 2010
Auckland
I would try to avoid over-charging it, it's not good for any battery. Once it hits 100% (so long as it's correctly calibrated) unplug and use as normal.

This isn't really true. Once it hits 100% it pretty much runs off the charger.

By depleting it all the time you are ruining the battery that way

Reactions: sohell

marcadam

Nov 23, 2010

Leaving your phone on charge longer than is absolutely necessary ie taking it off charge as soon as it gets to 100% will not affect your battery life and there is also no need to manually calibrate the battery. I installed DXLP7 and was getting poor battery life due to a wakelock, I found and dealt with the cause and immediately battery life improved. In my experience battery life on ICS is as good as it was in gingerbread. Better battery stats is your friend.

Reactions: sohell

loftysnake

Jul 12, 2008
I had upgraded my sgs2 to ics yesterday. The new version is draining the battery very seriously. In the previous version, my sgs2 could last for about 12 hours from a fully charged state. But now the version can only last for 6 hours, which is really unacceptable.

szrich

Jun 18, 2010
Is deep sleep? You can check with CPU-Spy. If not, remove the battery a few minutes and then returned.

+SN BLSN

Mar 19, 2012
I had huge battery drain issues from exchange and email waking the device and constantly doing something. Removed the accounts and then set them up again. Like night and day now, better than gb. On LP7 and never wiped.

Cheers

Reactions: loftysnake

Zewsan

Mar 25, 2012
Keep a look with BetterBatteryStats, and see if there are any apps messing up.

I have better batterylife with ICS by a margin.
And about leaving the charger on during night, these are kind of myths really, you can keep it on without any worries, and also charge it without being totally drained.
Most of these thoughts come from the old Ni-Cd times with memory effect.

loftysnake

Jul 12, 2008
I had removed the Exchange Account yesterday and the battery drain problem disappeared. The account was added back after about 10 hours. The battery usage is now back to normal (a little bit better than the situation before the ics upgarde). Thanks for your hint.
Cheers.

ISure

Jun 26, 2012
SG S2 ICS Battery drain issue

Had upgraded to ICS when it launched in India and literally went berserk due to the battery drain issue. Googled and googled, found a lot of things, tried most of them (except for changing ROMs).

Then, Voila, last 4 days - a complete twist to my sorry tale. I first disabled the phone backup option (to Google), did a factory reset, said No to most of the options that are asked on restart, and didnt install the earlier applications from the Play store en masse (earlier, had a number of games and other 'what I thought was useful' apps). Now, only have the basic apps plus Poweramp, Shazam and NQ Mobile added. And the result - the battery is back to normal. Phew....big relief as I use the phone pretty much for mails, music, phone.

samaliset

Jun 29, 2007
Paris
I want yo add some thing very annoying, I discovered today after upgrading to Resurrection ROM.
In fact, even with the device connected to my car power supply and using Copilot for about 1 hour, the battery continued it's discharge instead of charging.
So what to say and what to do?
Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This isn't really true. Once it hits 100% it pretty much runs off the charger.

By depleting it all the time you are ruining the battery that way

Leaving your phone on charge longer than is absolutely necessary ie taking it off charge as soon as it gets to 100% will not affect your battery life and there is also no need to manually calibrate the battery. I installed DXLP7 and was getting poor battery life due to a wakelock, I found and dealt with the cause and immediately battery life improved. In my experience battery life on ICS is as good as it was in gingerbread. Better battery stats is your friend.

I had huge battery drain issues from exchange and email waking the device and constantly doing something. Removed the accounts and then set them up again. Like night and day now, better than gb. On LP7 and never wiped.

Cheers