FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Ubuntu Phone OS for Galaxy S2?

193 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

By ruibullseye, Senior Member on 2nd January 2013, 09:59 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello fellow members of xda.
Today i've came across with the launching of Ubuntu Phone OS, which in my opinion will revolutionize the world of Smarth phones.
My question is, will Ubuntu Phone OS be available for Samsung Galaxy S2 ? Or will be there some compatibility issues?

Best regards,
Rui Duarte
The Following User Says Thank You to ruibullseye For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ruibullseye Ad-Free

2nd January 2013, 10:34 PM |#2  
Flag Moca
Thanks Meter: 118

More
It was just demoed and i believe that not even the sources are out, so it's hard to tell if it will run or not, but according to this an 1Ghz Cortex A9 cpu and 512mb of RAM is the minimum requeriment... so it might be possible...
2nd January 2013, 10:36 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17

More
in my opinion android and ios will having a hard time when its fully released
2nd January 2013, 10:46 PM |#4  
Flag Sanford NC
Thanks Meter: 718

More
Will be released on 2014.who knows what goodies key lime pie will bring till then.i dont see it as a threat for android

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
2nd January 2013, 10:53 PM |#5  
Flag Amritsar
Thanks Meter: 472

More
It'll be released for Galaxy nexus b/w 8th to 12th January ^^

2014 is when it'll start shipping with phones as a standalone OS.

Swyped from my Galaxy S2 using XDA Premium app!

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 AM ----------

Watch "Ubuntu for phones - Industry proposition" on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWHJDLsqTU

Watch from around ~3 when they introduce OS. It's frigging amazing, finally some innovation and competition to Android.

2nd January 2013, 10:58 PM |#6  
Flag pensacola, FL
Thanks Meter: 117

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4Dy

It'll be released for Galaxy nexus b/w 8th to 12th January ^^

2014 is when it'll start shipping with phones as a standalone OS.

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 AM ----------

Watch "Ubuntu for phones - Industry proposition" on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWHJDLsqTU

Watch from around ~3 when they introduce OS. It's frigging amazing, finally some innovation and competition to Android.

Where did you read this? I just read about the OS not when it's ported to android.
2nd January 2013, 11:03 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 25

Donate to Me
More
I've read that they will release Ubuntu full image in few days or week. Here it is;

Given that Ubuntu is open source, a full Ubuntu image that can run on a Galaxy Nexus will be available within a few days or weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to TraNe15 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TraNe15 Ad-Free
2nd January 2013, 11:03 PM |#8  
Flag Buzău
Thanks Meter: 26

More
I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu OS, but in my opinion Android will not be overwhelmed by Ubuntu Phone. With that unity like menu on the left side it's smell like windows phone on Samsung Omnia )

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sergiuniculescu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sergiuniculescu Ad-Free
2nd January 2013, 11:04 PM |#9  
Flag Amritsar

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Samurai

Where did you read this? I just read about the OS not when it's ported to android.

It isn't exactly " ported to android" there will be official Ubuntu image for gnex.

http://vrge.co/Ub3aB7

I'm really excited about this, even considering getting a nexus.

2nd January 2013, 11:07 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 25

Donate to Me
More
Btw, I'm sure that it can be ported to our sgs2, because the first full image will be for galaxy nexus and it would be easy to port it, imo.

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4Dy

It isn't exactly " ported to android" there will be official Ubuntu image for gnex.

http://vrge.co/Ub3aB7

I'm really excited about this, even considering getting a nexus.

Never mind dude, it'll be ported soon. Just some patience
2nd January 2013, 11:10 PM |#11  
Flag Amritsar

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraNe15

Btw, I'm sure that it can be ported to our sgs2, because the first full image will be for galaxy nexus and it would be easy to port it, imo.

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

Never mind dude, it'll be ported soon. Just some patience

It isn't same as porting ROMs mate. And I don't know about details ATM, otherwise I'd have told exact answer.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)