FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

"Unfortunately Setup Wizard has stopped working" - after trying to install Gapps

38 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By RostokMcSpoons, Member on 26th January 2013, 11:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I've successfully managed to get the current CM nightly on my S2, after a few trials and tribulations.
I'd left my phone alone for a bit, all working fine.

Then I decide to get it sorted properly, and install the Google Apps.

Googling told me to use the 20120429 version. So I downloaded that (using the phone's browser), went into CWM and installed it. No joy.
Silly me, I didn't reset + clear cache. So I did that. Still no joy.
So now I've re-installed CM and done a reset + clear cache.

And still I'm stuck looking at the 'setup wizard stopped working' messages, in an endless soul-destroying loop

What can I do?

Would re-installing a stock rom and then re-rooting do the trick?
I can't get Odin to connect, and so I've copied the zipped 4.0.3 rom into the internal SD card, but CWM fails (is it because it has a .dll file alongside the .tar?)

I'm wishing I'd left the phone alone now

27th January 2013, 12:02 AM |#2  
Flag Belfast, United Kingdom
Thanks Meter: 306

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RostokMcSpoons

So I've successfully managed to get the current CM nightly on my S2, after a few trials and tribulations.
I'd left my phone alone for a bit, all working fine.

Then I decide to get it sorted properly, and install the Google Apps.

Googling told me to use the 20120429 version. So I downloaded that (using the phone's browser), went into CWM and installed it. No joy.
Silly me, I didn't reset + clear cache. So I did that. Still no joy.
So now I've re-installed CM and done a reset + clear cache.

And still I'm stuck looking at the 'setup wizard stopped working' messages, in an endless soul-destroying loop

What can I do?

Would re-installing a stock rom and then re-rooting do the trick?
I can't get Odin to connect, and so I've copied the zipped 4.0.3 rom into the internal SD card, but CWM fails (is it because it has a .dll file alongside the .tar?)

I'm wishing I'd left the phone alone now

What version of CyanogenMod are we talking about here? You need to be more specific.
27th January 2013, 12:53 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadba

What version of CyanogenMod are we talking about here? You need to be more specific.

Right, maybe I found the cause of the problem - I've installed cm-10.1-20130125-NIGHTLY-i9100 but when I wanted to find out which version of Gapps I needed I couldn't be sure what it was so I decided to just find the original download page again. But somehow I managed to find this page http://get.cm/?device=galaxys2 (a rather too easy mistake to make?) ...which has version 9! So I've tried to install the wrong Gapps file
27th January 2013, 01:06 AM |#4  

More
Quote:

Right, maybe I found the cause of the problem - I've installed cm-10.1-20130125-NIGHTLY-i9100 but when I wanted to find out which version of Gapps I needed I couldn't be sure what it was so I decided to just find the original download page again. But somehow I managed to find this page http://get.cm/?device=galaxys2 (a rather too easy mistake to make?) ...which has version 9! So I've tried to install the wrong Gapps file

I thought you might have! I'm not sure whether a simple flash of the correct gapps file will solve your problem or whether you will need to wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache, reinstall the CM10.1 nightly and then flash the correct gapps file which can be found here: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip

Try just wiping your cache and dalvik cache in recovery and flashing the new gapps file I linked, if the flashing process doesn't last for atleast 20 seconds, then you may have to carry out the steps I listed above for a complete reinstall.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to themadba For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift themadba Ad-Free
27th January 2013, 02:13 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadba

I thought you might have! I'm not sure whether a simple flash of the correct gapps file will solve your problem or whether you will need to wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache, reinstall the CM10.1 nightly and then flash the correct gapps file which can be found here: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip

Try just wiping your cache and dalvik cache in recovery and flashing the new gapps file I linked, if the flashing process doesn't last for atleast 20 seconds, then you may have to carry out the steps I listed above for a complete reinstall.

Thanks but I've now tried the reset / wipes / reinstalls multiple times to no avail. And now when I connect my phone to my pc to try to put the correct gapps zip on there, Windows Explorer is only showing a few of the folders on Internal Storage. The stuff that I've already got at root isn't showing. Have I knackered my phone?

I'm going to have to leave it til the morning - the battery is nearly empty.

Edit: Damn, I couldn't get to sleep without fixing it first, and luckily I did: I rebooted my pc, and the explorer eventually did show the contents ok (just very slowly). I dragged the zip in, installed it with CWM and *huzzah* it's working! The only odd thing is the camera has disappeared from the applications...
I can wait until tomorrow to work that out.

Thanks for your help
27th January 2013, 02:51 AM |#6  

More
Quote:

Thanks but I've now tried the reset / wipes / reinstalls multiple times to no avail. And now when I connect my phone to my pc to try to put the correct gapps zip on there, Windows Explorer is only showing a few of the folders on Internal Storage. The stuff that I've already got at root isn't showing. Have I knackered my phone?

I'm going to have to leave it til the morning - the battery is nearly empty.

That's strange. I recently flashed a wrong gapps file and it led to some things not working, especially the Play Store. I tried just wiping the cache and dalvik cache and flashing, but that didn't work. So I did a wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache, reflashed the ROM and then flashed gapps. I think I may have wiped the cache and dalvik cache once more for good luck, and then repaired permissions in the advanced section of recovery. Phone booted up fine and all apps worked perfectly. I doubt the phone is knackered, perhaps try and different ROM just to make sure it boots fine, and then try flash CM10.1 again. Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to themadba For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift themadba Ad-Free
4th March 2013, 10:40 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Samsung Galaxy s2 CM10 trouble Setup Wizard has stopped working
Im from Asia and I guess Samsung s2 int’l version has different features. I already updated my firmware to JB 4.1.2 (leaked) and since I am not satisfied with it,I rooted it and installed siyah as well as cm10 + gapps from XDA links. I followed everything according to the posts and vids.The problem is that after rebooting and CM start up showed up,the next prompt was UNFORTUNATELY,SET UP WIZARD HAS STOPPED WORKING. What’s wrong? I have tried 6x times and no one worked correctly. HELP me!
The Following User Says Thank You to jhun_ph For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jhun_ph Ad-Free
27th March 2013, 11:49 AM |#8  
Flag Bangalore

More
I was under the same problem few days ago...
flashed 4.2.2 gapps on 4.1.2..
and succumbed to 'unfortunately setup wizard has stopped' error, until i flashed the respective 4.2.2 gapps.
but sadly it ate away my internal memory (cant help )

So the point is
just flash the respective gapps
and then the ROM again
The Following User Says Thank You to kiuzzaxk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kiuzzaxk Ad-Free
5th August 2013, 01:36 PM |#9  

More
Hi I just installed cyangenmod and it works but setup wizard is crashing and I don't know how to fix this my phone its pretty much unusable. Need help urgently!
The Following User Says Thank You to Joemate For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Joemate Ad-Free
6th September 2013, 05:12 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
The key is to wipe regular cache partition after installing Gapp zip! :]
7th October 2013, 08:57 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
I think you have the key. I get my cm10.1.5 and I flashed a realy slim gapps (11mb), but after that I didn't wipe cache and dalvik. So the phone didn't woke up because it get stucked in the wizzard setup. So I have to do as u said. And like the other said, reinstall the rom and then the gapps.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
setup wizard has stopped

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)