[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 [I9100]

Search This thread

camp0s

Jun 13, 2011
I've one question, regarding the first post: I'm still using TWRP 3.0.2-1 and installing a generic 7.1.2 ROM, it works.

As soon as I update TWRP (in the past, at least) the ROM failed to install. Sadly, I don't remember the error, I only know that regressing the TWRP version I did finally found a working version.

Does it have something to do with the first post, that I have to install the boot.img separately, before installing the new ROM?

Tnx for the great work! (y)

Monsterstep

Jul 27, 2021
Hi,

Flashed twrp and installed the lineageos with gapps. However it rebooted and is now stuck on teamwin recovery project 3.5.2_9-0 I have Flashed previous twrp too but still justs boot looping to that splash screen.

how can I get this fixed so it boots back to the os?

I have tried putting it in fastboot. I'm using Odin3 as adb does not seem to work on my T580.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

ol1ver

Jun 25, 2011
gitlab.com
Hey @ripee, I noticed that the last two builds are a little too big. I suppose this is because of automated pipeline builds.

All 2021 builds are more then 8MiB, which won't fit into the recovery partition anymore, causing isorec to fail. The last 2020 builds work just fine.

The way I see it, there's 3 options, but want to start a dialog before running off and doing things :)

a) see what files can be dropped to decrease the size. I see a lot of files in terminfo that could potentially go?

b) modify isorec into supporting xz (and while changing it) supporting squashfs.

b.1) Recompress the archive with xz -9 reduces the size to about 5 MiB, much much better
b.2) Recompress the archive into squashfs, if using the xz compression, the file is about 6.5MiB, but could be mounted instead of decompressing and un-cpioing.

I think b.2 is the best option, but does require a little bit more passas in the isorec/init script in that it would mount + chroot (not that hard and quite common to be fair); I think recovery boot times would be somewhat faster (no more decompressing and de-cpio-ing :)

Destragon

Dec 10, 2022
Hi, so I've taken my trusty ol' Samsung Galaxy S2 and I wanted to install LineageOS 14.1, mainly using this youtube video as guide:

Basically I flashed a new kernel, installed TWRP 2.8.7.0, flashed a pit file, did a factory reset in TWRP, but then the first error message appeared saying "unable to mount storage" and "unable to mount /emmc". This didn't stop me though and I managed to install LOS 14.1 without problem and am able to boot into it. However, I can't access the internal storage of the device, meaning for example if I click on the "gallery" app, it just throws a "no storage" error and closes the app.

In TWRP I tried the "fix permissions" button, but that didn't help. I looked at all the partitions in TWRP and almost all seem to be correct with what you would expect from the pit file that I used. Data for example has 6047mb size and the "ext4" file system. However the problem seems to be the "eMMC" partition, which I assume is the internal storage. This partition says "0mb" on all its stats and it says its file system is "vfat".

So now I've still got a couple options, but I just wanna be extra careful, which is why I'm writing this post.
My TWRP 2.8.7.0 version doesn't have a proper "format" button, but it does have a button to change the file system of a partition.
Should I change my "eMMC" partition to the "ext4" file system, like the OP kinda says to do?
Should I update my TWRP to a newer version like 3.1 and try the "format" button there? Would I be able to install this newer TWRP without problem or would I need another new kernel?
Should I do something else that I forgot about?

Thanks for reading.

Edit:
Okay, I have flashed the TWRP 3.1 zip, but it looks like this version of TWRP doesn't have that "format" button either that I was expecting to find. The only thing that has changed so far is that the "eMMC" partition has been renamed to "internal storage" and I now get a "failed to mount /sdcard0 (invalid argument)" error instead of the "/emmc" one that I got before.
I figure that all I might have to do now is select the internal storage/ sdcard0 partition and change its file system from vfat to either ext4 or f2fs, but I'm a little worried of pressing any buttons.

Edit 2:
Aaaalright, I have finally pressed the button to change the file system to ext4 and now it does appear to be working perfectly. It seems to be fine, but I might give it one more factory reset for good measure.

Last edited:

Ezzyy007

Jun 2, 2023
Hi all, so excited to see there is so much info on this old phone!
So here's my predicament, my husband has an old s2 gt-i9100T with all his teenage memories on it. And I said to him you'd better back that thing up to a pc before it dies. So he boots it up and google asks him to sign in so he does. Next thing it freezes. So we pull the battery and restart.
Here's where the fun begins, on restart its stuck on boot screen.
Okay fine I'll do a soft reset. Hmmm still stuck on boot screen. No worries I'll enter recovery and wipe the cache that will surely fix it.
Holding down the recovery keys doesnt work, it still just goes straight to boot screen logo and stays there.
Wow now I'm sweating, and he's looking super worried.
So now I'm looking into ways to recover the user partition data via twrp, and that leads me here.
I'm pretty tech savvy but I'm still a little confused Wether this method is able to be dirty flashed? My goal here is to recover the photos locked in this little white handset, can twrp be of any use to me on this occasion? I'm about to get Odin and reflash the original stock rom over the top, as I've read that may fix the boot issue? As I am able to enter download mode on the handset. Thanks heaps to whoever reads this, I'm desperate! ♥

ale5000

Dec 24, 2013
i9100
Hi all, so excited to see there is so much info on this old phone!
So here's my predicament, my husband has an old s2 gt-i9100T with all his teenage memories on it. And I said to him you'd better back that thing up to a pc before it dies. So he boots it up and google asks him to sign in so he does. Next thing it freezes. So we pull the battery and restart.
Here's where the fun begins, on restart its stuck on boot screen.
Okay fine I'll do a soft reset. Hmmm still stuck on boot screen. No worries I'll enter recovery and wipe the cache that will surely fix it.
Holding down the recovery keys doesnt work, it still just goes straight to boot screen logo and stays there.
Wow now I'm sweating, and he's looking super worried.
So now I'm looking into ways to recover the user partition data via twrp, and that leads me here.
I'm pretty tech savvy but I'm still a little confused Wether this method is able to be dirty flashed? My goal here is to recover the photos locked in this little white handset, can twrp be of any use to me on this occasion? I'm about to get Odin and reflash the original stock rom over the top, as I've read that may fix the boot issue? As I am able to enter download mode on the handset. Thanks heaps to whoever reads this, I'm desperate! ♥
Just:
- Enable MTP in TWRP
- Connect phone to a PC with an USB cable
- Copy your file to the PC (yes it works also if the phone is in recovery)
- Then you can wipe data and do everything to recover the phone without worries

Ezzyy007

Jun 2, 2023
Just:
- Enable MTP in TWRP
- Connect phone to a PC with an USB cable
- Copy your file to the PC (yes it works also if the phone is in recovery)
- Then you can wipe data and do everything to recover the phone without worries
Hey Ale, thanks for your reply! That sounds great, but the question is am i able to install twrp on my galaxy s2 without messing with the partitions? or deleting any data? thanks

ale5000

Dec 24, 2013
i9100
Hey Ale, thanks for your reply! That sounds great, but the question is am i able to install twrp on my galaxy s2 without messing with the partitions? or deleting any data? thanks
I thought you already had it.
I don't know the GT-I9100T, but in the GT-I9100 (without T) with the stock ROM the separated recovery partition isn't used at all; so to make it working you need to place a modified kernel that add support for recovery and then flash a recovery.

I can't help too much with this, maybe there are other people in this forum with better knowledge.

sirozan

Dec 8, 2014
i9100
Microsoft Lumia 950/950 XL
If i remember right there used to be PhilZ recovery which you could just flash from stock recovery or odin on a stock phone, would give you root and nandroid backups without breaking anything.

However, are you sure you can use i9100 stuff on your i9100t...?

If i remember right there used to be PhilZ recovery which you could just flash from stock recovery or odin on a stock phone, would give you root and nandroid backups without breaking anything.

However, are you sure you can use i9100 stuff on your i9100t...?
In this case, it doesn't matter, because any ROM by rINanDO for the i9100 can be flash on the GT-I9100, GT-I9100M, GT-I9100P, GT-I9100T, SC-02C.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    teamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
    * [B][U]Your warranty is now void.[/U][/B]
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or your getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

This phone does not have a separate recovery partition, only a virtual recovery partition in the boot (kernel) partition. After flashing an IsoRec kernel and recovery, you will then be able to flash all non-IsoRec kernels and recoveries (such as this official TWRP) without any problems (see instructions below).
    More information about IsoRec can be found in the [MOD] IsoRec: Isolated Recovery for the Galaxy S2 Family thread, courtesy of Lanchon.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

(Please read them BEFORE posting anything in the thread!)
    Q: Whenever I try flashing any ROM, I get a Fail to map file error.
    A: This error appears whenever you try to flash a rom zip file without first flashing the boot.img file from the rom zip file before attempting to flash the rom itself (see instructions below).

Q: How do I flash anything if TWRP displays an error that it cannot mount any partition?
    A: This error appears after re-PITing your phone's internal storage but without re-formatting the partitions:
    1. In the main menu, tap "Wipe" then "Advanced Wipe".
    2. Perform the following steps for each of these partitions individually one by one: System, Internal Storage, Data:
    a) Tap "Repair or Change File System".
    b) Tap "ext4".
    c) Move the slider to the right to format.
    3. Follow the flashing instructions below.

Heimdall
    - Glass Echidna

TWRP for Samsung Galaxy S II (International)

How to flash the latest official TWRP when coming from stock or another custom recovery
    1. Flash an IsoRec recovery and kernel, which can be found here.
    2. Extract the boot.img file (kernel) from the zip file of the ROM you wish to flash.
    3. Copy both the boot.img file and the latest official TWRP onto your phone or SD card.
    3. Boot into the IsoRec TWRP, regardless of which version it is.
    4. In the main menu, tap on "Install" then "Install Image".
    5. Flash the boot.img file by selecting the "Boot" radio button.
    6. Flash the latest official TWRP by selecting the "Recovery" radio button.
    7. Reboot into Recovery. You should now be on the latest official TWRP.
    8. Proceed with flashing the ROM and GApps package, either clean or dirty.

You will ONLY need to follow the above steps when flashing the official TWRP when you are coming from stock or another custom recovery!

Changelog
    - See post #2.

Bugs
    - You tell me!

Credits
    - arnab, Lanchon, the.gangster, rINanDO, and every other open source developer and user who contributes directly or indirectly to the TWRP community in the development of and in providing feedback for the i9100.

Sources
    - arnab
    - Lanchon
    - rINanDO
    - i9100 repository
    - TWRP repository

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP 3.5.2_9-0, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
    ripee
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 3.5.2_9-0
    Stable Release Date: 2021-04-06

Created 2018-01-25
    Last Updated 2022-12-09
    Progress update

I managed to get it to flash and boot. If you wipe all partitions except External storage and USB-OTG, you will see both Internal and External storage in their proper partition sizes.

But I'm still working on "Failed to map file".

Edit: after wiping all partitions except external storage and usb-otg, twrp's settings finally persist after rebooting back into recovery.

Edit 2: it seems that Open GApps flash normally, but neither official nor unofficial LineageOS 14.1 does :p back to it...
    I haven't given up on getting official TWRP on the S2!

In fact, I'll have access to an S2 starting next week because it's my aunt's backup phone.
    The problem may lie in re-PITting

I've taken another look at my logs and I'm going to go back to square one, re-flash stock, then flash TWRP again, but this time without re-pitting my system partition. Lineage should be small enough to flash, so we'll see if the maximum allowable file size that twrp interprets that can be flashed is determined by re-PITting or if twrp determines what can fit some other way.
    I re-built my device tree again, this time adapting from rINanDO's cm-14.1-emu branch. The SD card and the TWRP folder in internal storage mount fine, allowing for flashing from both internal and external storage, which TWRP refers to as "Micro SD card".