[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 [I9100]

Search This thread

wave8500

Sep 28, 2014
i can't flashing twrp-3.1.0.0.tar on my galaxy s2 i9100

anybody have another verision of .tar of twrp for galaxy s2 ?

ripee

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Aug 25, 2014
drive.google.com
Progress update

I managed to get it to flash and boot. If you wipe all partitions except External storage and USB-OTG, you will see both Internal and External storage in their proper partition sizes.

But I'm still working on "Failed to map file".

Edit: after wiping all partitions except external storage and usb-otg, twrp's settings finally persist after rebooting back into recovery.

Edit 2: it seems that Open GApps flash normally, but neither official nor unofficial LineageOS 14.1 does :p back to it...

Last edited:

ripee

Aug 25, 2014
drive.google.com
The problem may lie in re-PITting

I've taken another look at my logs and I'm going to go back to square one, re-flash stock, then flash TWRP again, but this time without re-pitting my system partition. Lineage should be small enough to flash, so we'll see if the maximum allowable file size that twrp interprets that can be flashed is determined by re-PITting or if twrp determines what can fit some other way.

Lister Of Smeg

Hi Ripee,

Don't give up, you've worked so hard towards this.... and we need experienced Dev's such as yourself, @rINanDO and @linusdan to keep our old devices alive and fresh... :D :good:

Share your resources, your talents, and keep up the good work... everyone of you!!! :good:

Cheers, Lister

Pardon me for interjecting, but I noticed a lot of you have linked to [URL="https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/orig-development/recovery-twrp-3-2-1-0-t3740526"]my TWRP thread
. As there is no recent activity on that thread, may I ask here if my 3.2.1-0 version works for you when flashing 15.1? Does it work both with and without re-PITing?
@rINanDO, if and when you make lineage-15.1 suitably stable and you'd like to turn your attention to twrp, please feel free to take over from me in my thread.
[/URL]

Reactions: toy_story

ripee

Aug 25, 2014
drive.google.com

tiis

Aug 13, 2013
Thanks but this doesn't answer my question. Does my twrp work?

Thanks for your effort, but I can't flash official LOS through automatic OTA process and also not manually, flashing stops right away with red text after skipping digest file. Went back to 3.1.0-0.

ripee

Aug 25, 2014
drive.google.com

hadooken

Aug 28, 2008
Padova
Wow! And here I was about to give up :D I'm guessing 3.2.1 won't flash 14.1 but will flash 15.1? I will keep playing around with my own S2 when I have a moment. If I get more votes of confidence, I'll finally submit it for official support... after all these months...

Well, I did some deeper testing and found that latest version works almost properly and only for a clean install.

I said "almost" because I tried many times wiping the whole internal memory and then flashing a LineageOS 15.1 WIP beta and it succeeded with no errors but it seems to have changed every time the system partition size.
So, I tried each time to rePIT with my favorite partition scheme and then performing another clean install... and it did it again: partition sizes have changed while flashing the ROM and this caused my system partition to have just that few space to flash GApps pico package.

Well, I said also "only for a clean install" because it doesn't work for manually updating an existing LineageOS 15.1 with a newer Zip: I think this is due to the abnormal volumes mounting scheme which has been already reported by another user.

Hope these info could help in any way. If you need further specific testing, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Thank you!

ripee

Aug 25, 2014
drive.google.com
Well, I did some deeper testing and found that latest version works almost properly and only for a clean install.

I said "almost" because I tried many times wiping the whole internal memory and then flashing a LineageOS 15.1 WIP beta and it succeeded with no errors but it seems to have changed every time the system partition size.
So, I tried each time to rePIT with my favorite partition scheme and then performing another clean install... and it did it again: partition sizes have changed while flashing the ROM and this caused my system partition to have just that few space to flash GApps pico package.

Well, I said also "only for a clean install" because it doesn't work for manually updating an existing LineageOS 15.1 with a newer Zip: I think this is due to the abnormal volumes mounting scheme which has been already reported by another user.

Hope these info could help in any way. If you need further specific testing, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Thank you!

After rePITing, you need to wipe System, Cache, Dalvik, Data, and Internal Storage, for TWRP to be able to recognize those partitions properly. When coming from an IsoRec kernel, please also extract the boot.img file from the Lineage build's zip file and flash it within TWRP, reboot into TWRP, and proceed to flash Lineage and GApps as you normally would.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    teamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
    * [B][U]Your warranty is now void.[/U][/B]
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or your getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

This phone does not have a separate recovery partition, only a virtual recovery partition in the boot (kernel) partition. After flashing an IsoRec kernel and recovery, you will then be able to flash all non-IsoRec kernels and recoveries (such as this official TWRP) without any problems (see instructions below).
    More information about IsoRec can be found in the [MOD] IsoRec: Isolated Recovery for the Galaxy S2 Family thread, courtesy of Lanchon.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

(Please read them BEFORE posting anything in the thread!)
    Q: Whenever I try flashing any ROM, I get a Fail to map file error.
    A: This error appears whenever you try to flash a rom zip file without first flashing the boot.img file from the rom zip file before attempting to flash the rom itself (see instructions below).

Q: How do I flash anything if TWRP displays an error that it cannot mount any partition?
    A: This error appears after re-PITing your phone's internal storage but without re-formatting the partitions:
    1. In the main menu, tap "Wipe" then "Advanced Wipe".
    2. Perform the following steps for each of these partitions individually one by one: System, Internal Storage, Data:
    a) Tap "Repair or Change File System".
    b) Tap "ext4".
    c) Move the slider to the right to format.
    3. Follow the flashing instructions below.

Heimdall
    - Glass Echidna

TWRP for Samsung Galaxy S II (International)

How to flash the latest official TWRP when coming from stock or another custom recovery
    1. Flash an IsoRec recovery and kernel, which can be found here.
    2. Extract the boot.img file (kernel) from the zip file of the ROM you wish to flash.
    3. Copy both the boot.img file and the latest official TWRP onto your phone or SD card.
    3. Boot into the IsoRec TWRP, regardless of which version it is.
    4. In the main menu, tap on "Install" then "Install Image".
    5. Flash the boot.img file by selecting the "Boot" radio button.
    6. Flash the latest official TWRP by selecting the "Recovery" radio button.
    7. Reboot into Recovery. You should now be on the latest official TWRP.
    8. Proceed with flashing the ROM and GApps package, either clean or dirty.

You will ONLY need to follow the above steps when flashing the official TWRP when you are coming from stock or another custom recovery!

Changelog
    - See post #2.

Bugs
    - You tell me!

Credits
    - arnab, Lanchon, the.gangster, rINanDO, and every other open source developer and user who contributes directly or indirectly to the TWRP community in the development of and in providing feedback for the i9100.

Sources
    - arnab
    - Lanchon
    - rINanDO
    - i9100 repository
    - TWRP repository

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP 3.5.2_9-0, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
    ripee
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 3.5.2_9-0
    Stable Release Date: 2021-04-06

Created 2018-01-25
    Last Updated 2022-12-09
    Progress update

I managed to get it to flash and boot. If you wipe all partitions except External storage and USB-OTG, you will see both Internal and External storage in their proper partition sizes.

But I'm still working on "Failed to map file".

Edit: after wiping all partitions except external storage and usb-otg, twrp's settings finally persist after rebooting back into recovery.

Edit 2: it seems that Open GApps flash normally, but neither official nor unofficial LineageOS 14.1 does :p back to it...
    I haven't given up on getting official TWRP on the S2!

In fact, I'll have access to an S2 starting next week because it's my aunt's backup phone.
    The problem may lie in re-PITting

I've taken another look at my logs and I'm going to go back to square one, re-flash stock, then flash TWRP again, but this time without re-pitting my system partition. Lineage should be small enough to flash, so we'll see if the maximum allowable file size that twrp interprets that can be flashed is determined by re-PITting or if twrp determines what can fit some other way.
    I re-built my device tree again, this time adapting from rINanDO's cm-14.1-emu branch. The SD card and the TWRP folder in internal storage mount fine, allowing for flashing from both internal and external storage, which TWRP refers to as "Micro SD card".