FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[PROGRAM] Heimdall - Open-Source Cross-Platform Flashing Suite (1.3.2 Now Available)

843 posts
Thanks Meter: 591

Post Reply Email Thread
Original Thread:

Quote:

What is Heimdall?
Heimdall is a cross-platform open-source tool suite used to flash ROMs onto Samsung Galaxy S devices.

How does it work?
Heimdall uses the same protocol as Odin to interact with a device in download mode. USB communication in Heimdall is handled by the popular open-source USB library, libusb-1.0.

Why “Heimdall”?
The flashing software Odin is named after the king of gods in Norse mythology. Loke, the software component on the Galaxy S that provides functionality to flash, may also to be named after an important character in Norse mythology, often translated as Loki. As such I have named my flashing software Heimdall, after the Norse god, and guardian of the Bifrost Bridge.

What platforms does Heimdall run on?
Linux, OS X and Windows (XP, Vista, 7 etc.)

Why use Heimdall when we can use Odin?
Odin is generally unreliable and only runs on Windows systems. Furthermore, Odin is leaked Samsung software that is not freely available or well understood by the community.

Is Heimdall safe?
No matter what method you chose, flashing firmware onto your phone has a lot of potential for disaster. We have tested Heimdall with a variety of phones flashing several different firmware versions resulting in a 100% success rate. As such we believe that Heimdall is generally reliable. However keep in mind, just like any flashing software, Heimdall has the potential to brick your phone if not used correctly.

How do Galaxy S phones get bricked when flashing?
Besides the inherent risks like power outs, accidental removal of the USB cable etc. The Galaxy S appears to be running extremely unreliable USB control software.

A failure to flash does not automatically equate to a bricked phone. However if you're extremely unlucky and the flash fails whilst transferring the primary boot-loader, secondary boot-loader or params.lfs (all quite small) than you've got yourself a paper weight that you're hoping Samsung will replace.

Please be extremely careful mixing files from different firmware releases. Don't do so unless you're certain it will work!

What Galaxy S variants has Heimdall been tested with?
We’ve tested Heimdall with a Galaxy S GT-I9000 (8 GB) from the United Kingdom and Galaxy S GT-I9000 (16 GB) from Australia. We don’t personally have access to any other devices to test with, however users have confirmed Heimdall functions correctly with the AT&T Captivate, Bell Vibrant, Telstra GT-I9000T, Epic 4G and the Galaxy Tab.

Enough talk, where can we get it?
The latest release is available here. Please read the instructions and README files included in the archives.

I love you, man. Will you have my baby?
No, but I will very gladly accept donations. If you appreciate my work and would like to support future development you can make a donation here. If you think you have something else to offer, then feel free to shoot me a PM or contact me via the contact form on the Glass Echidna website.

The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to Benjamin Dobell For This Useful Post: [ View ]

31st May 2011, 10:16 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Melbourne

Donate to Me
More
Source has been pushed to Github. Let me know how it goes for you Galaxy S II folk.

If you're appreciative of the updates don't forget to donate so I can get myself a Galaxy S II
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benjamin Dobell For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st May 2011, 10:27 PM |#3  
Flag Wels
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Gr8 news!

Hope this won't increase the flash counter in download mode when it's finished

Swyped from my overclocked GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App
The Following User Says Thank You to PoTi_96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PoTi_96 Ad-Free
31st May 2011, 10:34 PM |#4  
Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?
Thanks Meter: 81,147

Donate to Me
More
I'm happy with Odin on Windows, but great work nonetheless !
The Following User Says Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st May 2011, 10:43 PM |#5  
Flag Wels
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

I'm happy with Odin on Windows, but great work nonetheless !

on windows, yes
but linux... ^^

Swyped from my overclocked GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App
The Following User Says Thank You to PoTi_96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PoTi_96 Ad-Free
31st May 2011, 11:35 PM |#6  
Flag London, UK
Thanks Meter: 350

More
Great, Ive been waiting for this. More linux love. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to phunkycow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift phunkycow Ad-Free
31st May 2011, 11:42 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Excellent! Though I may not be the first to try it, I'll probably be using this (tomorrow?) to flash my first custom ROM if all goes well
1st June 2011, 12:24 AM |#8  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hey Ben,

Do you think its possible to make backups of firmware using this tool? I think it'd be good for those who wants to have carrier-branded ROMS backed up for warranty purposes.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4iedemon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 4iedemon Ad-Free
1st June 2011, 12:27 AM |#9  
LONDON
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkycow

Great, Ive been waiting for this. More linux love. Thanks!

Nice will give it a shot later.

OT:
Phunkycow u here? Left the dhd behind? Loved ur cm builds on the dhd..

1st June 2011, 08:45 PM |#10  
Flag London, UK
Thanks Meter: 350

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locster126

Nice will give it a shot later.

OT:
Phunkycow u here? Left the dhd behind? Loved ur cm builds on the dhd..

<OT>Yeah, sold it finally and i'm a happy panda now lol
Good to see you here too!</OT>

(Apologies for the OT )
1st June 2011, 10:13 PM |#11  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Melbourne

Donate to Me
More
Heimdall 1.2.0 command line binaries are now available. Debian 32-bit, Debian 64-bit, Windows and OS X (universal) are all available.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benjamin Dobell For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
heimdall, odin

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)