FORUMS

[APP] 'OdexMe' application

5,277 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,358

By paulobrien, Senior Member on 12th August 2011, 07:20 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
OdexMe is an application i've written for my MCR ROM, but that should work on any ROM with init.d support and busybox in /system/xbin.

Basically, it's an APK you push to /system/app and when you run it, it...
  • Reboots your device
  • Odexes everything in /system/app
  • Deletes the dalvik cache and it's own APK (as you only need to run it once)
  • Reboots the device and rebuilds the dalvik-cache
As you may or may not know, the dex files for the system applications take a fair old chunk of space on data - this gets around that.

Of course, odexed /system/data means you can't make any /system/framework changes, but how often do you need to do that? If you DO need to, you can reflash your ROM, do the changes, then run OdexMe again.

As I say, this is written for and tested on MCR, so if you try it, backup first and use at your own risk.

You can check it's worked by looking at /system/app after reboot, it should have a bunch of odex files, plus /data/dalvik-cache will have shrunk lots.

You can grab it in this post and one last thing - the initial reboot and odex takes a while, so be patient.

ROM devs - feel free to include this if you like it in your ROMs, but please let me know (and give me credit) so I can contact you when a new update comes out (i'm working on the next release with a few other tweaks).

Enjoy!

P
The Following 115 Users Say Thank You to paulobrien For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift paulobrien Ad-Free
12th August 2011, 07:29 PM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 959

Donate to Me
More
thanks, always good to have that options..

NICE WORK!
13th August 2011, 08:18 PM |#4  
Retired Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Flag Blackpool UK
Thanks Meter: 1,585

Donate to Me
More
Nice work Paul Thanks

PS Loving the your Custom ROM for the Gal s2
13th August 2011, 11:44 PM |#5  
Flag Campanar, Valencia
Thanks Meter: 202

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulobrien

OdexMe is an application i've written for my MCR ROM, but that should work on any ROM with init.d support and busybox in /system/xbin.

Basically, it's an APK you push to /system/app and when you run it, it...

• Reboots your device
  • Odexes everything in /system/app
  • Deletes the dalvik cache and it's own APK (as you only need to run it once)
  • Reboots the device and rebuilds the dalvik-cache
As you may or may not know, the dex files for the system applications take a fair old chunk of space on data - this gets around that.

Of course, odexed /system/data means you can't make any /system/framework changes, but how often do you need to do that? If you DO need to, you can reflash your ROM, do the changes, then run OdexMe again.

As I say, this is written for and tested on MCR, so if you try it, backup first and use at your own risk.

You can check it's worked by looking at /system/app after reboot, it should have a bunch of odex files, plus /data/dalvik-cache will have shrunk lots.

You can grab it in this post and one last thing - the initial reboot and odex takes a while, so be patient.

ROM devs - feel free to include this if you like it in your ROMs, but please let me know (and give me credit) so I can contact you when a new update comes out (i'm working on the next release with a few other tweaks).

Enjoy!

P

working on my kg5 rom....
cheers pal...

can i do a link from my thread?¿??
13th August 2011, 11:52 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Norwich
Thanks Meter: 7,358

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SERGI.3210

working on my kg5 rom....
cheers pal...

can i do a link from my thread?¿??

Sure! :)

P
The Following User Says Thank You to paulobrien For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift paulobrien Ad-Free
14th August 2011, 04:23 PM |#7  
Retired Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Pescara
Thanks Meter: 6,318

Donate to Me
More
Hi Paul!

As usual you did a fantastic job!
I was wondering if your app also delete classes.dex inside APKs! As you already know this should be deleted as well!

Thanks in advance!

L.
14th August 2011, 05:22 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 147

More
Nice!
Works with Revolution 2.5 (KG6).
Now the Tw4Launcher from Fr4gg0r is also odext and gmail shows more than the last 3 mails on startup. THX

@Leomar
Yes it does delete the classes file inside the apk.
The Following User Says Thank You to floyd0815 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift floyd0815 Ad-Free
14th August 2011, 05:28 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I'm not that known with odexed and deodexed stuff etc. but i'm wondering what's the advantage of odexing the system apps?
14th August 2011, 05:45 PM |#10  
Retired Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Pescara
Thanks Meter: 6,318

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruNKfuX

I'm not that known with odexed and deodexed stuff etc. but i'm wondering what's the advantage of odexing the system apps?

*Quicker initial bootups of custom ROMs
*Less memory is consumed
*Less storage used in /data due to the fact that pre-optimised dex files are stored on /system already (save space and boost performance)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LeoMar75 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LeoMar75 Ad-Free
14th August 2011, 05:55 PM |#11  
Flag Salerno
Thanks Meter: 9,294

Donate to Me
More
Thanks Paul
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)