[MOD] Hacked Camera.APK for better audio quality, usage with any battery life & MORE!

Search This thread

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
Does this work on CM 7.1?

I've replaced the Camera.apk under /system/app. What happened is the camera icon on the app tray is removed. So I tried opening the new Camera.apk, which asks me to install, but it fails to install giving the message "Application not installed".

There is no Camera.odex in the folder.

I am using Root Explorer.

This is a camera for Samsung based ROMs. Which CM7 is not. So no, it won't work.

takkaros

Mar 9, 2010
Using my pioneer hdj-2000 the sound is unbearable listening to 1st post second youtube video. The one before the hacked version was distorted but i could listen to it without having my ears bleed..:) personal opinion

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

akuma86

Jan 6, 2010
We want a key to take photos and videos...... So please I have ics xwlpf or something like, give me a mod.......sob

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [MOD] Hacked Camera.APK for better audio quality, usage with any battery life & MORE!

Final Update-

Some people have been asking for sourcecode/instructions, so once more, this is the method I used, all credit to Rafalense.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10980448&postcount=268

Those of you wanting me to reupload the APK's, I'm sorry, I don't have them stored anymore, and I wouldn't put them up even if I did. They're based on ANCIENT firmware revisions, and whilst I can appreciate you still would like the functionality somehow, I'm not interested in taking on the project again at this time. Thank you very much for your continued use and desire for my work though, it's very flattering.

I won't be actively developing or supporting this anymore because of it's defunct nature. If you want something similar, I highly recommend the lgCamera app, which has a far better implementation of improved bitrates (select whatever bitrates you want in a menu.) You can get lgCamera on the market- I highly reccomend it.

Anyone who wants to pick up this project can feel free to discuss here or make a new thread, as you please. If you do, please include the link to the guide by Rafalense, as it was the basis for this mod and will doubtlessly be of use to someone.

(Original Post Below)
    -----

In light of my new student status, and since my student loan doesn't even cover my accommodation... I have made a donate link.

If you use the mod regularly, please consider donating, it would really help me out. Don't worry if you can't though, the mod will always be free for all to use. :)

Thanks for all the support-

- Potatoman.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey folks-

It's with great pleasure that I'm releasing a hacked Camera.apk for you all today! This is my first android mod, so be gentle :p

Info-
    The apk replaces the stock Camera.Apk in the Galaxy S II (or Samsung Captivate!), and has the following features-

- Allows use of the camera & camcorder at any battery life
    - Records Audio in 192kbps/44.1Khz quality (CD Quality) rather than stock (64kbps/16khz quality)
    - Increased Video Bitrate in 1080 and 720p modes* (See 2nd post for info and download link for this version)
    - Optional No Sounds versions (for Standard and Highbit versions!). All of the features, None of the noise! Yes, even the autofocus noise is gone!
    - HyperX-'s SuperHighBit version now available (See 2nd post for info and download link for this version)

I have left the settings for the 320x240 and 176x144 resolution modes as stock, so they will be the same size and with the same audio. This is to ensure video messages are kept within the filesize limits :)

Before/After Comparison (thanks robbiekhan)-
    Before:

After:
    Treble is high for loud sources in this mod, I'm working on improving it in v2. for now, just stand further back like robbiekhan said :) - Potatoman
    Treble seems high so apologies for that, car volume was higher than I realised ¬_¬

Additional info:
    If you want to get rid of the shutter sound, create a file in /data called local.prop and add the line "ro.camera.sound.forced=0" and restart your phone. This removes both the shutter sound and the focus sound when your phone is on silent, but keeps the sound when it's not on silent. - llBlackenedll

Install Guide:
    1) Root & install a file manager which lets you browse root
    2) browse to /system/app, and rename your Camera.apk to Camera.apk.bak and your Camera.odex to Camera.odex.bak (for use as a backup to restore from)
    3) Unrar my APK (password: potatoman@xda) and copy it over to /system/app.
    4) Rename it Camera.apk
    5) Close the file manager and run the Camera app from the main menu
    6) IF the app fails to run, or the shortcut is missing, go back to the /system/app folder and try to install it (tap it in root explorer then "install"). This step is only a fallback, do NOT do this if it works already at step 5.
    7) Enjoy!

ADB Install Guide- See 2nd post!

This mod was tested on my own Galaxy S II with KE2, KE7, KG1, VillainROM and CognitionROM firmwares.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks all, hope you enjoy! Thank if you like it :)
    (Download: http://www.multiupload.com/KHRWLERS4J)
    (Download with no sounds: http://www.multiupload.com/NNR1SYDYL6 Same password. Be sure to remove cam_start.ogg, cam_stopp.ogg, Camera_click.ogg, Camera_click_short.ogg, Shutter_01.ogg and videoRecord.ogg from /system/media/audio/ui as well!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Credits-
    Potatoman - Sound implimentation & merging of features & Version Splitting/Maintainance
    Soraxd - Original battery life functionality & upcoming music playing functionality
    Rafalense - A great post which lead me through how to do this mod over on the Galaxy S forums
    pulser_g2 - Original battery life functionality (with soraxD :))
    llBlackenedll - tip on how to disable shutter sounds
    robbiekhan - Before/After Comparison videos
    Antoniotdi - An excellent bugfix :)
    hyperX - Great minds think alike eh? HyperX released a similar mod to this on the same day as me! Anyway, we'll be working together on cameramods from now on. Good news huh? :D
    Knightnz - The ADB install guide
    ADB Install guide (Thanks knightnz!)-

How to install using adb with phone connected to your computer:

Copy the new .apk to the root of the internal sdcard of the phone. then run the appropriate set of commands:

STANDARD VERSION:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /system
    cp -r /sdcard/Camera.apk /system/app/Camera.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/Camera.apk

NO SOUND VERSION:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /system
    cp -r /sdcard/CameraSoundless.apk /system/app/Camera.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/Camera.apk
    cd /system/media/audio/ui
    rm cam*
    rm Cam*
    rm Shut*
    rm Video*

-----------------------------------------

HyperX-'s SuperHighBit version released!
    This is kept here because it isn't mine to remove, and I haven't heard from HyperX in a while. Please note I wont be able to support anyone with this if you choose to use it.

Since some of you know me... i imigrated from Symbian here to Android.
    Now i am working on several mods with Potatoman to bring you more mods/tweaks stuff.
    I have prepared a package, with the following settings:
    1080p mode: Normal – 17 Mbit Fine – 24 Mbit – Super fine – 30 Mbit
    720p mode Normal – 9 Mbit Fine – 13 Mbit Super fine – 17 Mbit
    Both modes have audio at 48000 khz at 192 kbit
    Download
    Also for those, who are interessted, my site will be soon updated for an Android section.
    www.hx-custom-roms.com

DISCLAIMER TO AVOID DRAMA-
    I work on this in my own time as a project, as and when I see fit. At no point does using or donating to the development of this app entitle you to demand anything from me other than what has already been shared. The app is also for use "as is", with no warranty. Support is provided by me (and other helpful members) in this thread and in my PM box as and when we desire.
    Anyone who takes an issue with this is more than welcome to not use the app, not post here, and otherwise avoid being a nuisance to the rest of us in this thread.
    Since some of you know me... i imigrated from Symbian here to Android.
    Now i am working on several mods with Potatoman to bring you more mods/tweaks stuff.

have prepared a package, with the following settings:

1080p mode: Normal – 17 Mbit Fine – 24 Mbit – Super fine – 30 Mbit

720p mode Normal – 9 Mbit Fine – 13 Mbit Super fine – 17 Mbit

Both modes have audio at 48000 khz at 192 kbit

Download

Also for those, who are interessted, my site will be soon updated for an Android section.

www.hx-custom-roms.com
    After flash that MOD, audio is still 44KHz/61Kbit...
    btw. VolumeKey works perfectly :)

Thanks for letting me know
    Here are the two versions, normal and higher quality audio

Hey guys
    I Mod, Camera Hack, to XXI4
    I want to share

LINK Install CWM
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/ta06qoagn3s7w0c/UpdateCriskeloRomGSGII-CameraHack-Bat-2%-48000khz.zip

Camera hack XXKI4
    * Hack VOL + / -
    Hold Volumekey to focus and release to shoot.
    Tap Volumekey will take a direct snapshot
    * Allows you to take pictures with less than 2%
    * Audio is original 44KHz/61Kbit...

LINK install CWM
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ta06qoagn3s7w0c

Camera hack XXKI4
    * Hack VOL + / -
    Hold Volumekey to focus and release to shoot.
    Tap Volumekey will take a direct snapshot
    * Allows you to take pictures with less than 2%
    *1080p @ 30 Mbit and 48000 khz/192 kbit Audio Recording

:)
    You had no problem asking for donations to encourage your ''desire'' to mod...
    Did you get less than you expected???

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

You dont understand! making yourself look a twat

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

No mate, you're making yourself look like a twat. Does my app not work? Is it wrong of me to ask for a VOLUNTARY donation for something I put a lot of effort into? If I wanted it to be a scheme where you pay money and I do new features at the snap of your fingers, I would have made a Pro version and a Lite version and charged for it like a normal app. If you don't like what I do, feel free to leave and never come back.

I hate arrogant pricks like you. What have you done for the community lately? Donations are just that, a DONATION. I don't give to cancer research then come back 3 months later demanding a refund because people still get cancer. Even while I'm not working on the mod, I still reply to PM's and posts helping people with the current version of the mod on a regular basis, which is more than most dev's would do when they're supposed to be on a break.

Lots of people use my app daily on their phones, and I ask nothing in return. The generous ones who WANT to give can do so using the donation button, for which I am very grateful. That's as complex as it gets.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Potatoman said:
    DISCLAIMER TO AVOID DRAMA-
    I work on this in my own time as a project, as and when I see fit. At no point does using or donating to the development of this app entitle you to demand anything from me other than what has already been shared. The app is also for use "as is", with no warranty. Support is provided by me (and other helpful members) in this thread and in my PM box as and when we desire.
    Anyone who takes an issue with this is more than welcome to not use the app, not post here, and otherwise avoid being a nuisance to the rest of us in this thread.

Disclaimer added in post 2 to avoid any more ignorant posters.