[MOD][VRTheme][JB 4.1.2][XWLSZ / LSW] HighlanderZA Fancy Mods for NeatROM

Search This thread

HighlanderZA

Oct 12, 2012
"The Highlands"
picture.php

Hi Everyone - After a little nagging from a few of them, I've finally been persuaded to put together a thread
to share some of the mods I've made with the help of my NeatROM family.
Without them and _Sale_ 's NeatROM, I'd still be staring at a stock Samsung Galaxy SII, which is a scary thought.:eek:

I'm partial to 'tarting' up my phone a bit so most of this stuff is sort of 'fancy'.
I mean, we have a HOT color screen, so why not enjoy it!

This thread will be a WIP (work in progress) lots of screenshots to make and Zips to prepare.
Be patient, be kind and I'll even accept requests, within reason and time permitting, of course.
I work all day, have a family and this is just a hobby!

DOWNLOAD LINK - See Post #3.

picture.php

Blue Glow Theme mods Menu POPUPS, Dialer, Contacts, Mms, Phone, Framework and Lidroid Toggle Background. Also adds all the S4 Faces.
Pics show my Bottom Toggles - will only change the background behind your Lidroid Toggles to Blue Glow

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Notification Panel Backgrounds for 23 Bottom Toggles
(Mod based on churapa's guide) with Brightness slider.

These are based on the expectation that you have already flashed one of engloa's 23 Toggle Mods.

Picture has been sized and laid out so as not to be hidden by the toggles or slider. The png used REPLACES the
notification_panel.9.png with a std png file.
My '23 Bottom Toggle with Brightness Slider' mod is linked in Downloads. I've added a 'Recent Apps'
button to the Notification Bar Header. The mod comes with a plain black background.
You can then flash the Notification picture of your choice after this.

picture.php

For our Top Toggle users.
picture.php

S4 Contacts faces to replace the 'Mr Nobody' look we got on our S2's.
This mods SecPhone, SecContacts and SecMms.

picture.php

Framework Mods to tart up the Menu Popups.

picture.php
picture.php

Dialer Mod to match Blue Glow Menu Popups also adds all the S4 Faces.

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

To all those who have helped and guided me, I hope I've remembered you all. Please let me know if I leave anyone out.
THANK YOU.
-Sale- / engloa / Spannaa / hawkerpaul / ApriliaM3 / churapa / bombaybadboy

To all those who've inspired me,THANK YOU.
Calvo1 / electricsheepdreamer / bobdoblo / Rosario34 / CarlM34 / The Red Blur / kentandrei / momo.martinovic / parag1dubey

THANK YOU to engloa / hawkerpaul / Spannaa for your permission to use and abuse your mods.

xda Developers - I'm glad I found you. Old dogs can learn new tricks!
And last but not least THE WHOLE NeatROM family who inspire me everyday.

Last edited:

HighlanderZA

Oct 12, 2012
"The Highlands"
Last edited:

HighlanderZA

Oct 12, 2012
"The Highlands"
picture.php

**** WARNING - MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU FLASH ****
**** You are responsible for what happens on YOUR phone, NOT ME! ****

UPDATE:

Please see the post linked below for latest details.

Thread 're-open' post #117 and update.

I've used the "VillainROM' VRTheme structure/scripts to enable the flashing of these mods.
A HUGE thank you to them for creating this and allowing us to use it.

23 Fancy Toggles as shown in above screenshots.
This will work on MS1 as 23 toggles are built in to the ROM!
(Anything pre XWLSZ - Will only work if you have flashed engloa's mod first)
(Updated Vibration and Rotation Toggles)

All direct links to files removed due to Dev-Host issues. :rolleyes:

You should be able to find what you are looking for from the file names and descriptions. :D

Last edited:

HighlanderZA

Oct 12, 2012
"The Highlands"
Changing PNGs inside your APKs - Guide

Simple Mods for Toggles and other Icons for NeatROM.

This is aimed at beginners who, like me, have a Chernobyl moment when faced with coding and modding for Android.
It’s simple, like me, and it’s how I started.

Tools:

7Zip - http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
Gimp - http://www.gimp.org/ or
Paint.Net http://www.getpaint.net/ or
Photoshop.

Some form of android decompiler/compiler – search xda or Google.

Toggles:
The toggle icons or XXXXXX.png files are in two places depending on whether you are modding the stock icons or engloa’s 23 toggle icons.

Stock will be in SystemUI.apk - res\drawable-hdpi

These toggle icons are called:

‘tw_quick_panel_icon_rotation_on.png’ & ‘tw_quick_panel_icon_rotation_off.png’ and so on all starting with ‘tw_quick_panel_icon_xxx_off’ or ‘tw_quick_panel_icon_xxx_on’

Engloa’s, Wanam's and Sale's 23 Toggle mods are in lidroid-res.apk - res\drawable-hdpi

‘stat_airplane_off.png’ & ‘stat_airplane_on.png’ and so on all starting with ‘stat_xxx_off’ and ‘stat_xxx_on’

We will be talking about modifying the 23 Toggle Mods engloa has made for us.
With his kind permission and giving him all due credit of course.
What I do is use 7Zip to open the mod zip…..

picture.php

There will be other files in the zip that we are not interested in for this exercise, HOWEVER, leave them alone, don’t remove what you are not sure of. Open ‘system’ to see below.

picture.php

Open ‘framework’ to see below

picture.php

Open ‘lidroid-res.apk’ to see below. This opens the apk (like a zip file) within the open mod zip(I hope that makes sense – it is important for later so get it right now)

picture.php

Open ‘res’ to see below the contents of the ‘res’ folder. Remember the ‘drawable-hdpi’ folder…

picture.php

Open it up to see its contents like below. If 7Zip is behaving correctly, you will still not have ‘EXTRACTED’ anything from the zip files.

picture.php

Now for ease of use and to be able to view things a lot better, go back one step so you are at the screen below, use the up arrow just below the big Add button.

picture.php

Now open up a new folder, labelled of course, and drag ‘drawable-hdpi’ into it.

picture.php

Open that up to see all the png files inside. You will see in this pic that the ones I’ve modded are VERY different to the others and easy to find. View them as ICONS of course, not the file names.

picture.php

You can now create new toggle icons to your hearts content and replace the ones here with your own.
No I don’t know where all of the other png’s are used.

As future ‘Recognised Themers’ and ‘Recognized Contributors’ and ‘ROM cookers’, that’s your adventure.

You can create all your icons and store them in a separate folder or in here, overwriting the existing ones.
Where you store them will change the path we follow when we update the mod zip for testing.
Use the same sizes as what you found the originals to be, would be my recommendation.
Example: 60X60 for the ‘six on a screen’ toggles in the ‘23 Toggle Mods’.

NOW to see whether your creation works.

I don’t have an emulator or know of one so I test on my phone.
You are going to replace all the modified PNG files inside the ‘res\drawable-hdpi’ folder in lidroid-res.apk.
Use 7Zip and open the mod zip following the same path all the way down until you get to here:

picture.php

Now we simply drag the ‘drawable-hdpi’ folder containing all the new icons and all the unmodified icons across and drop it into the zip. It will ask you if you’re sure and of course you will be so ‘YES’.

picture.php

You will see that the ‘drawable-hdpi’ folder now has a date when you modified it.

picture.php

Use the ‘back’ button again and again until you get this message. Answer ‘OK’ and the lidroid-res.apk will be updated inside the main mod zip file.

picture.php

Use the back button again and again until here and then exit out of the mod zip.

picture.php

Your MOD is now ready to be copied to your phone and flashed via CWM for testing and more testing!

If it doesn’t work, well I’m sure you made a NANDROID backup BEFORE you started messing around, so restore to a working phone and try again.

That’s it – if it works and you think others might like it SHARE IT! Fame and fortune awaits.(Well maybe!)

Yes, there are ways to update these files on the phone using apktool and other ‘strange’ methods, but they involve changing file permissions and such and then you don’t have a readymade MOD file that you can share with everyone on the NeatROM thread.

Obviously this is just the basics. Once you start exploring the Villain Rom Theming methods I've used for most of the mods above, things change slightly and you will only have the pngs you have changed in your zip files.

That is altogether another guide and I would point you to the Villain ROM thread for more info.

NB!!
This will not work with the 9 patch or xxx.9.png files. (unless you are simply swapping out pngs and not editing them)
They are a special case and require special handling. There are guides here on xda for them.

Last edited:

HighlanderZA

Oct 12, 2012
"The Highlands"
+2 (ESD + me :D)
@HighlanderZA: Very nice work :good:
I'm really tempted to flash your mods :rolleyes::cool:

If I can tempt It_ler, then .......................... Thanks my friend, that's a big compliment.:eek:

Mate..

Congrats congrats...:good::thumbup::thumbup::D:D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks bud!

Good to see you taking the next step with this thread Rob... Best of luck with it.

XDA Moderator on Tapatalk

Thanks Pete - will try and keep it nice and clean and tidy so you and your colleagues don't need to visit! :eek::D

The form looked quite past few days.
Looks the storm is back

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Thanks very much - please no hurricanes, tornadoes or monsoons!:eek::eek::D

G

-ghost-

Can you make a nice dailer and contact buttums like your popup menu style??
And than with the blue of Blue Ginger Plus theme ??
THX

and sorry for my bad english

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    picture.php

Hi Everyone - After a little nagging from a few of them, I've finally been persuaded to put together a thread
    to share some of the mods I've made with the help of my NeatROM family.
    Without them and _Sale_ 's NeatROM, I'd still be staring at a stock Samsung Galaxy SII, which is a scary thought.:eek:

I'm partial to 'tarting' up my phone a bit so most of this stuff is sort of 'fancy'.
    I mean, we have a HOT color screen, so why not enjoy it!

This thread will be a WIP (work in progress) lots of screenshots to make and Zips to prepare.
    Be patient, be kind and I'll even accept requests, within reason and time permitting, of course.
    I work all day, have a family and this is just a hobby!

DOWNLOAD LINK - See Post #3.

picture.php

Blue Glow Theme mods Menu POPUPS, Dialer, Contacts, Mms, Phone, Framework and Lidroid Toggle Background. Also adds all the S4 Faces.
    Pics show my Bottom Toggles - will only change the background behind your Lidroid Toggles to Blue Glow

picture.php
    picture.php
    picture.php

Notification Panel Backgrounds for 23 Bottom Toggles
    (Mod based on churapa's guide) with Brightness slider.

These are based on the expectation that you have already flashed one of engloa's 23 Toggle Mods.

Picture has been sized and laid out so as not to be hidden by the toggles or slider. The png used REPLACES the
    notification_panel.9.png with a std png file.
    My '23 Bottom Toggle with Brightness Slider' mod is linked in Downloads. I've added a 'Recent Apps'
    button to the Notification Bar Header. The mod comes with a plain black background.
    You can then flash the Notification picture of your choice after this.

picture.php

For our Top Toggle users.
    picture.php

S4 Contacts faces to replace the 'Mr Nobody' look we got on our S2's.
    This mods SecPhone, SecContacts and SecMms.

picture.php

Framework Mods to tart up the Menu Popups.

picture.php
    picture.php

Dialer Mod to match Blue Glow Menu Popups also adds all the S4 Faces.

picture.php
    picture.php

picture.php

To all those who have helped and guided me, I hope I've remembered you all. Please let me know if I leave anyone out.
    THANK YOU.
    -Sale- / engloa / Spannaa / hawkerpaul / ApriliaM3 / churapa / bombaybadboy

To all those who've inspired me,THANK YOU.
    Calvo1 / electricsheepdreamer / bobdoblo / Rosario34 / CarlM34 / The Red Blur / kentandrei / momo.martinovic / parag1dubey

THANK YOU to engloa / hawkerpaul / Spannaa for your permission to use and abuse your mods.

xda Developers - I'm glad I found you. Old dogs can learn new tricks!
    And last but not least THE WHOLE NeatROM family who inspire me everyday.
    picture.php

A Guide I made and shared with a few of you a while back on changing the png images inside your apk files.
    It's aimed at beginners, you know that place where we all started out.:eek:
    I hope it helps and inspires some of you.
    See post # 4 below - Guide

picture.php

The NeatROM home.
    Spannaa's Theme home
    bombaybadboy's Guides home
    churapa's Mods and Theme home
    engloa's Mods home Thanks 'Eddie'!:D
    NeatROM Off Topic Home
    Rosario's S4 Wallpaper Thread
    Rosario's S2 Wallpaper Thread
    picture.php

**** WARNING - MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU FLASH ****
    **** You are responsible for what happens on YOUR phone, NOT ME! ****

UPDATE:

Please see the post linked below for latest details.

Thread 're-open' post #117 and update.

I've used the "VillainROM' VRTheme structure/scripts to enable the flashing of these mods.
    A HUGE thank you to them for creating this and allowing us to use it.

23 Fancy Toggles as shown in above screenshots.
    This will work on MS1 as 23 toggles are built in to the ROM!
    (Anything pre XWLSZ - Will only work if you have flashed engloa's mod first)
    (Updated Vibration and Rotation Toggles)

All direct links to files removed due to Dev-Host issues. :rolleyes:

You should be able to find what you are looking for from the file names and descriptions. :D
    Changing PNGs inside your APKs - Guide

Simple Mods for Toggles and other Icons for NeatROM.

This is aimed at beginners who, like me, have a Chernobyl moment when faced with coding and modding for Android.
    It’s simple, like me, and it’s how I started.

Tools:

7Zip - http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
    Gimp - http://www.gimp.org/ or
    Paint.Net http://www.getpaint.net/ or
    Photoshop.

Some form of android decompiler/compiler – search xda or Google.

Toggles:
    The toggle icons or XXXXXX.png files are in two places depending on whether you are modding the stock icons or engloa’s 23 toggle icons.

Stock will be in SystemUI.apk - res\drawable-hdpi

‘tw_quick_panel_icon_rotation_on.png’ & ‘tw_quick_panel_icon_rotation_off.png’ and so on all starting with ‘tw_quick_panel_icon_xxx_off’ or ‘tw_quick_panel_icon_xxx_on’

Engloa’s, Wanam's and Sale's 23 Toggle mods are in lidroid-res.apk - res\drawable-hdpi

‘stat_airplane_off.png’ & ‘stat_airplane_on.png’ and so on all starting with ‘stat_xxx_off’ and ‘stat_xxx_on’

We will be talking about modifying the 23 Toggle Mods engloa has made for us.
    With his kind permission and giving him all due credit of course.
    What I do is use 7Zip to open the mod zip…..

picture.php

There will be other files in the zip that we are not interested in for this exercise, HOWEVER, leave them alone, don’t remove what you are not sure of. Open ‘system’ to see below.

picture.php

Open ‘framework’ to see below

picture.php

Open ‘lidroid-res.apk’ to see below. This opens the apk (like a zip file) within the open mod zip(I hope that makes sense – it is important for later so get it right now)

picture.php

Open ‘res’ to see below the contents of the ‘res’ folder. Remember the ‘drawable-hdpi’ folder…

picture.php

Open it up to see its contents like below. If 7Zip is behaving correctly, you will still not have ‘EXTRACTED’ anything from the zip files.

picture.php

Now for ease of use and to be able to view things a lot better, go back one step so you are at the screen below, use the up arrow just below the big Add button.

picture.php

Now open up a new folder, labelled of course, and drag ‘drawable-hdpi’ into it.

picture.php

Open that up to see all the png files inside. You will see in this pic that the ones I’ve modded are VERY different to the others and easy to find. View them as ICONS of course, not the file names.

picture.php

You can now create new toggle icons to your hearts content and replace the ones here with your own.
    No I don’t know where all of the other png’s are used.

As future ‘Recognised Themers’ and ‘Recognized Contributors’ and ‘ROM cookers’, that’s your adventure.

You can create all your icons and store them in a separate folder or in here, overwriting the existing ones.
    Where you store them will change the path we follow when we update the mod zip for testing.
    Use the same sizes as what you found the originals to be, would be my recommendation.
    Example: 60X60 for the ‘six on a screen’ toggles in the ‘23 Toggle Mods’.

NOW to see whether your creation works.

I don’t have an emulator or know of one so I test on my phone.
    You are going to replace all the modified PNG files inside the ‘res\drawable-hdpi’ folder in lidroid-res.apk.
    Use 7Zip and open the mod zip following the same path all the way down until you get to here:

picture.php

Now we simply drag the ‘drawable-hdpi’ folder containing all the new icons and all the unmodified icons across and drop it into the zip. It will ask you if you’re sure and of course you will be so ‘YES’.

picture.php

You will see that the ‘drawable-hdpi’ folder now has a date when you modified it.

picture.php

Use the ‘back’ button again and again until you get this message. Answer ‘OK’ and the lidroid-res.apk will be updated inside the main mod zip file.

picture.php

Use the back button again and again until here and then exit out of the mod zip.

picture.php

Your MOD is now ready to be copied to your phone and flashed via CWM for testing and more testing!

If it doesn’t work, well I’m sure you made a NANDROID backup BEFORE you started messing around, so restore to a working phone and try again.

That’s it – if it works and you think others might like it SHARE IT! Fame and fortune awaits.(Well maybe!)

Yes, there are ways to update these files on the phone using apktool and other ‘strange’ methods, but they involve changing file permissions and such and then you don’t have a readymade MOD file that you can share with everyone on the NeatROM thread.

Obviously this is just the basics. Once you start exploring the Villain Rom Theming methods I've used for most of the mods above, things change slightly and you will only have the pngs you have changed in your zip files.

That is altogether another guide and I would point you to the Villain ROM thread for more info.

NB!!
    This will not work with the 9 patch or xxx.9.png files. (unless you are simply swapping out pngs and not editing them)
    They are a special case and require special handling. There are guides here on xda for them.
    Updates to Dialer - includes amended Pressed pngs. - Sorry I missed them everyone.:eek:

S4 Contacts, Mms and Phone mod has been updated too.
    I've added the ten 'face modded' 'call_img_ani_XX' pngs that JB Reloaded has included. These were requested by Jeetu for his ROM/Mod.
    Attached Pics are for Dialer Press and New vs Old Face pngs.