Protector for camera bump?

Search This thread

coukou

Jul 24, 2008
Hello,
What do you recommend for protecting the camera of the S20 Ultra from this bellow image?
Metal Ring Film or Temperd Glass film?
Regards

jonboi

Jul 23, 2010
I've applied a Spigen GlasR protector on mine. Works perfect, and doesn't introduce an awful haze to photos when using the flash either. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0844KGLZJ/

I've tried one other that advertised itself as being edge to edge but wasn't, and produced horrendous photo quality compared to the Spigen

akashbsheth

Dec 6, 2015
I was thinking of getting a dbrand for this for but I am not sure what will happen when I peel it off later. Does it leave glue marks?

pinoymutt

Nov 7, 2008
SoCal
I've applied a Spigen GlasR protector on mine. Works perfect, and doesn't introduce an awful haze to photos when using the flash either. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0844KGLZJ/

I've tried one other that advertised itself as being edge to edge but wasn't, and produced horrendous photo quality compared to the Spigen

Would you be able to show a pic of how it looks on the phone? I'm curious how it looks. I was debating between the Spigen and the clear Rhinoshield, but the Spigen is cheaper for 2.

DefTaker

Jun 20, 2009
Would you be able to show a pic of how it looks on the phone? I'm curious how it looks. I was debating between the Spigen and the clear Rhinoshield, but the Spigen is cheaper for 2.

I'm not the one that has the Spigen GlasR but I have the same type (mine is supposedly by QUESPLE -- but I suspect it's the same manufacturer that makes the Spigen one). The tempered glass is covered in black film and ONLY the mic hole is cutout...I feel misled as the retailer said that all the cutouts were laser-etched precision. However, that was only in reference to the black film for the lenses.

However, i don't believe I have any haziness from my photos. Here's a photo of my Logi Z680 speaker (with & without flash)...I think the photos look good. Also included a photo of what the lens protector looks like on the back of the phone. (The photo quality on this shot isn't great as the camera on the Galaxy Tab A is meh.)

Attachments

• 20200511_181301.jpg
    20200511_181301.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 343
  • 20200511_181344.jpg
    20200511_181344.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 342
  • 20200511_181438.jpg
    20200511_181438.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 340
Reactions: pinoymutt

pinoymutt

Nov 7, 2008
SoCal
So I went ahead and ordered the RhinoShield version of the the camera protector since I've been a fan of their screen protector from way back in the day - before tempered glass was a thing.
It comes in a pack of 2, and it does feel to me like a tempered material vs the usual PET or similar "traditional" RhinoShield film that I was expecting. The nice thing is that it definitely has all the holes cut out - vs most of the other types that I've seen that only has the one main lens cutout.

Other than the screen protectors, the pack comes with a cleaning cloth and some stickers for placement and dust (I didn't use the placement stickers), and a stiff card for bubbles.

Here's a pic of the other protector I didn't put on yet to show the hole placements. Overall, gives me proper piece of mind against scratching the camera glass. Not bad for about $15 (10 + shipping). If you are looking at their bumpers or cases, I think you can get free shipping if you spend a bit more - and they aren't selling this (yet) on ebay or Amazon that I could find.

Attachments

• Rhino.jpg
    Rhino.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

Sleepycat3

May 8, 2011
I've been using non-branded tempered glass camera bump protectors. So far my experience has been:
3 pack - 2 were cracked out of the packaging, 1 was fine.
Got 2 replacements. 1 was fine and the other was cracked.

When I applied a good camera bump protector from the lot, I ended up cracking it as well as there are two cutouts, one for the LED flash and the other for the microphone. It makes for a very fragile protector.

While I had my phone in my pocket, something may have pushed against the S20U camera bump and cracked another camera protector! So now I have none and have ordered more from the shops.

So I would advise trying the other materials to see if they are better than tempered glass.

Sleepycat3

May 8, 2011
Just applied the tempered glass screen protector for my phone. It looks good without flash. But when I use the flash, the shot looks hazy. This is going to be a no go for the tempered glass screen protector. See the picture I attached.
Yup, I see the same thing, eventhough the flash has a hole in the screen protector. It is probably because the glass is uncoated which causes light to reflect internally in the glass.

Digibeginner

Sep 16, 2017
Initially got a generic tempered glass screen protector for my S20+, but it turned out to have a bluish coating on it that made pictures looked like taken with a blue filter. I then bought the Spigen GLAS'R Slim camera lens protector. It was tempered glass in black with all holes cut out. It fits perfectly and pictures looks awesome. There isn't any reflection even with the flash on and no tint or any abnormal effects on pictures. I am very happy with it and now you can get it on Spigen's website.

rustyram02

Jul 7, 2007
Has anyone used a glass protector followed by the dbrand skin on the camera hump? I am doing that setup but am worried the skin’s openings would differ from the glass protector creating weird overlaps. Thanks in advance

ichigo91

May 21, 2012
Malaysia
twitter.com
mine using Nillkin camera protector, its cheap but very good quality, the material look like glass & it doesn't decrease the quality of camera, you can find it from AliExpress for about 2 or 3 bucks with free shipping

kaku85

Sep 28, 2010
Saint Paul
I'm using the UniqueMe for the s20.
Protect but you lose photos with flash!

I'll try the Rinhke in the future.

Attachments

• 20200614_153230.jpg
    20200614_153230.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 20200614_153227.jpg
    20200614_153227.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 20200614_153035.jpg
    20200614_153035.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 20200614_153106.jpg
    20200614_153106.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 111

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is anyone planning on putting extra glass over the cameras? This shouldn't effect the photo quality or AF, right? Any recommended brands out there? Or are you just relying on the raised bezel for whatever case your're using to protect the camera array?
    I have a dbrand skin on it that covers everything but the actual surface needed for pictures. Don't think I need more than that. Also after watching all the drop test the camera is the last thing that will break or stop working.
    Just applied the tempered glass screen protector for my phone. It looks good without flash. But when I use the flash, the shot looks hazy. This is going to be a no go for the tempered glass screen protector. See the picture I attached.
    I found this and installed it to get a little extra protection for the Camera Glass - the fit is good - installs easy and I have not noticed any issues when using the Flash. It does require that youi carefully place the screen protector on the camera bump (glass) lining up the holes correctly - but they do give you four screen protectors if the first attempt doesn't work. You can find them here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08546Q3LJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not the one that has the Spigen GlasR but I have the same type (mine is supposedly by QUESPLE -- but I suspect it's the same manufacturer that makes the Spigen one). The tempered glass is covered in black film and ONLY the mic hole is cutout...I feel misled as the retailer said that all the cutouts were laser-etched precision. However, that was only in reference to the black film for the lenses.

However, i don't believe I have any haziness from my photos. Here's a photo of my Logi Z680 speaker (with & without flash)...I think the photos look good. Also included a photo of what the lens protector looks like on the back of the phone. (The photo quality on this shot isn't great as the camera on the Galaxy Tab A is meh.)