Stock Magisk Patched Kernel for S20 Ultra 5G G988B Exynos

Search This thread

geiti94

Mar 18, 2009
Zürich
Like the title says here its a Magisk Patched Kernel for the S20 Ultra 5G G988B exynos Variant.

Since the S20 needs Canary Magisk and latest Canary Magisk Manager have problems with Patch images (Manager Crashes) i patched the boot.img manually :D

Soon i will make a custom kernel too. so means i will then convert this thread to the one for my Custom Kernel but for the moment it will be used for the Stock Patched Kernel.

Tomorrow i will add S20 5G and S20+ 5G kernels too :eek:

How to install:

1. Enable Developer Settings
2. Enter Developer Settings
3. Enable Oem unlock
4. Reboot in download mode and unlock the bootloader (boot with button combo in download mode and not with adb or recovery!)
5. Bootup the phone and setup it without accounts (Make sure the phone is connected to the internet or prenormal will be triggeret)
6. Reboot again in download mode and flash the tar with the kernel with ODIN.
7. Reboot in recovery mode and make a factory reset / wipe
8. Bootup again the phone and setup it again. this time with accounts when you want and make again sure the phone is connected to the internet over the simcard or wifi!
9. Install the latest Magisk Manager Canary done :D

Download: From My Synology NAS

XDA:DevDB Information
Stock Magisk Patched Kernel for S20 Ultra 5G G988B Exynos, Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra

Contributors
geiti94
Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2020-03-11
Last Updated 2020-03-11

Attachments

• photo_2020-03-11_22-11-13.jpg
    photo_2020-03-11_22-11-13.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 6,316

dragsterman

Sep 15, 2013
@geiti94

Thx.

What do you mean with this "boot with button combo in download mode and not with adb or recovery" ?

What firmware version is this kernel from? (just to make sure there wont be any compatibility issue)

Also is there any guide how exactly should I flash the tar and the kernel with ODIN?

Sorry for the noob questions i rooted Samsung phone longtime ago, but I want to root my S20U as soon as possible because in order to root i must wipe so its good to do it when the phone is new.

Last edited:

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
Thanks Bro.
My just arrived and thanks to you and to the Magisk developer, 30 minutes after the unboxing, i rooted my Galaxy S20 ultra.

I made a small video as proof of root
https://youtu.be/aaNhm-PMt1s

P.S.
I installed the liboemcrypto.so disabler magisk module to see netflix, prime video etc.

Reactions: Rman666

buddy66

Jun 14, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Yes it is since flashing a patched kernel breaks encryption

Since there is no good backup solution when the phone is not rooted, does the Samsung Cloud Backup work after that? If you have any other backup solution then please, share :angel:
Oh and since OTA are not working when we apply root, can I apply those updates with odin without flashing the kernel again?

buddy66

Jun 14, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Ok I am backing up everything to Samsung Cloud & Google, hard copy of internal storage and will test that baby.
Is there any tool that downloads only the OTA or do I have to always download a complete new firmware?
We always had to format data with TWRP in order to get rid of the encryption. Is the stock wipe enough?

Last edited:

geiti94

Mar 18, 2009
Zürich
Ok I am backing up everything to Samsung Cloud & Google, hard copy of internal storage and will test that baby.
Is there any tool that downloads only the OTA or do I have to always download a complete new firmware?
We always had to format data with TWRP in order to get rid of the encryption. Is the stock wipe enough?

encryption stays here since works with magisk only. only after twrp gets an update for logical partition is then again needed to format data etc. but that will take a while

buddy66

Jun 14, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
encryption stays here since works with magisk only. only after twrp gets an update for logical partition is then again needed to format data etc. but that will take a while

Thank you for the clarification. With this modification I will be able to run TitaniumBackup so it will not be that hard to backup the data. I just hope the google backup does the appdata backup well.

Akutsito

Dec 16, 2010
So you just downloaded the firmware, applied the patch locally, and then flashed the new firmware?

Do you have any guide or the cmds used to patch the original bootimg? I'm interested in trying this for my S20 4G :p

geiti94

Mar 18, 2009
Zürich
So you just downloaded the firmware, applied the patch locally, and then flashed the new firmware?

Do you have any guide or the cmds used to patch the original bootimg? I'm interested in trying this for my S20 4G :p

normaly you can patch the boot.img with magisk manager but it crashes since the s20 needs canary one. so i flashed the s20 kernel on my n10 and then patched the image in twrp with magisk zip

Reactions: Akutsito

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Like the title says here its a Magisk Patched Kernel for the S20 Ultra 5G G988B exynos Variant.

Since the S20 needs Canary Magisk and latest Canary Magisk Manager have problems with Patch images (Manager Crashes) i patched the boot.img manually :D

Soon i will make a custom kernel too. so means i will then convert this thread to the one for my Custom Kernel but for the moment it will be used for the Stock Patched Kernel.

Tomorrow i will add S20 5G and S20+ 5G kernels too :eek:

How to install:

1. Enable Developer Settings
    2. Enter Developer Settings
    3. Enable Oem unlock
    4. Reboot in download mode and unlock the bootloader (boot with button combo in download mode and not with adb or recovery!)
    5. Bootup the phone and setup it without accounts (Make sure the phone is connected to the internet or prenormal will be triggeret)
    6. Reboot again in download mode and flash the tar with the kernel with ODIN.
    7. Reboot in recovery mode and make a factory reset / wipe
    8. Bootup again the phone and setup it again. this time with accounts when you want and make again sure the phone is connected to the internet over the simcard or wifi!
    9. Install the latest Magisk Manager Canary done :D

Download: From My Synology NAS

XDA:DevDB Information
    Stock Magisk Patched Kernel for S20 Ultra 5G G988B Exynos, Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra

Contributors
    geiti94
    Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2020-03-11
    Last Updated 2020-03-11
    that's a good news. booting rooted S10 was a pain in the a.. heh

why can't the system be mounted read-write even with root? is it due to the changes samsung made to the partition layout?

Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G (SM-G988B)

because of changes made by google not sammy. logical partitions are read only but i am now testing somethings with custom kernel so can be we can soon write in system :D if so i can then atleast make roms for it and twrp but then only super.img can be flashed in twrp and not zips since we dont have access to the system for the moment from twrp
    Hi guys.

This patched magisk .tar sorted out my camera issue after I rooted the device.

I'm on UK BTU firmware ATCH

Please don't hate me if this kills your device, but I hope it helps!!!!!!
    can we reboot the phone normally after rooting or do we still have to use the key combo to boot into rooted system?

Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G (SM-G988B)

s20 can boot normaly since root i back in boot.img and no more in recovery.img like s10 :victory:
    Ok guys.

This should fix your camera with the ACTC firmware.

Flash the kernel boot.img from OP first.

This file is a zipped tar file. So make sure to flash the tar file!!!!!!!

Hope this helps........