FORUMS

Green tint on dark background low brightness

296 posts
Thanks Meter: 97
 
By vwite, Senior Member on 12th March 2020, 01:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Man I hate OLED lottery.

Does anyone else have this issue? It's something similar to this:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...us-7t-t3986231

I'm debating if I should exchange it or just keep it, it's only noticeable at low brightness
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200320_223741.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	4975881  
The Following User Says Thank You to vwite For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vwite Ad-Free
12th March 2020, 02:36 PM |#2  
buddy66's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 158
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwite

Man I hate OLED lottery.

Does anyone else have this issue? It's something similar to this:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...us-7t-t3986231

I'm debating if I should exchange it or just keep it, it's only noticeable at leow brightness

I have the same effect in original Youtube app. It is just a bad background gradient in the application. Don´t blame the phone....
When I open Messenger with black background and grey status bar at the top of the app in the same brightness level, there is no greenish effect.
12th March 2020, 08:40 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 95
 
More
I am also having uniformity issues. Very noticeable, unfortunately. As there are no 512GB Ultras available anyway ATM, O will just have to live with it for the moment. Maybe I get used to it...
12th March 2020, 08:52 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 97
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy66

I have the same effect in original Youtube app. It is just a bad background gradient in the application. Don´t blame the phone....
When I open Messenger with black background and grey status bar at the top of the app in the same brightness level, there is no greenish effect.

mm weird, I see it in every single app with dark grey background, even in settings (w/Dark mode on), the bleeding is a lot bigger from the top right corner.

EDIT: Just checked the messenger app (FB messenger) and background is completely black so most pixels are off except for the letters and gray search bar but bleeding wouldn't be noticeable.
12th March 2020, 09:06 PM |#5  
buddy66's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 158
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwite

mm weird, I see it in every single app with dark grey background, even in settings (w/Dark mode on), the bleeding is a lot bigger from the top right corner.

EDIT: Just checked the messenger app (FB messenger) and background is completely black so most pixels are off except for the letters and gray search bar but bleeding wouldn't be noticeable.

I've just checked it with Gmail since it is also a Google application and you can notice the bleed when the lights in the room are turned on and I try to cover the top of the phone to see it. After turning the lights off, whole app is equally gray so in my opinion it is just an optical illusion. If I recall well the AMOLED displays use some kind of dimming (tinkering with the frequency) in order to reach a lower point of the brightness that is not noticeable for human eye. Probably this can be seen when covering a gray part of Google apps in a room that has another not so bright light source.
13th March 2020, 10:09 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 95
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy66

I've just checked it with Gmail since it is also a Google application and you can notice the bleed when the lights in the room are turned on and I try to cover the top of the phone to see it. After turning the lights off, whole app is equally gray so in my opinion it is just an optical illusion. If I recall well the AMOLED displays use some kind of dimming (tinkering with the frequency) in order to reach a lower point of the brightness that is not noticeable for human eye. Probably this can be seen when covering a gray part of Google apps in a room that has another not so bright light source.

I made a picture. It is showing a 5% gray test pic and supposed to be uniform. It is easy to see and I was kind of shocked when instantly noticing it the first time I was using it in the dark. Settings and many parts of the dark one UI are using grays in that range.
Anybody else? If it is rare, it will be worth pushing for an exchange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200313_082114 - Kopie.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	4970791  
14th March 2020, 12:04 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 97
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by corwin_amber

I made a picture. It is showing a 5% gray test pic and supposed to be uniform. It is easy to see and I was kind of shocked when instantly noticing it the first time I was using it in the dark. Settings and many parts of the dark one UI are using grays in that range.
Anybody else? If it is rare, it will be worth pushing for an exchange.

I did the same test, I'm attaching a picture of my Note 10+ and the S20 Ultra side by side. Uniformity seems a lot better on the note 10+, however on white background the Note 10+ turns more red when I slightly tilt it while the S20 Ultra seems to shift colors a lot less and still white overall.

Still not sure if it's worth the hassle to return.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200313_174008.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	4970835  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vwite For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vwite Ad-Free
14th March 2020, 12:10 AM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 95
 
More
Ok, the fact, that it looks very much like mine can be good and bad 😂
Could you please check, if is different at 60Hz? For me, it is clearly different.
14th March 2020, 12:19 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 97
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by corwin_amber

Ok, the fact, that it looks very much like mine can be good and bad
Could you please check, if is different at 60Hz? For me, it is clearly different.

Oh wow, you're right! I set it to 60 hz and QHD+ and uniformity on the gray test got noticeable better, still some green on top right corner and around the punch hole but noticeable less. I love reaaally 120 hz during normal use though.
14th March 2020, 12:23 AM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 95
 
More
Thanks for confirming, same here. I wonder, if this is something, that can be fixed in software... And if the rumoured 'dynamic refresh raze' update might change things.

Could please note people check their Ultras displays?
14th March 2020, 11:25 AM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Same here with my s20 more visible at 12hz refresh rate with dark theme
The Following User Says Thank You to nasirshhb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nasirshhb Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes