FORUMS

When is Samsung going to fix auto focus on the s20 Ultra in USA

9 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By BetaMan10, Junior Member on 14th March 2020, 03:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Anyone have a timeline on when Samsung is going to fix their crap auto focus on the s20 Ultra? I have a 512gb which is out of stock everywhere but I don't want to be stuck with this garbage auto focus as I bought the phone for the camera and it's really bad like fix it or recall it bad. My guess is they will release something after the 15 days and it won't fix it and I will be stuck with garbage but whatever hopefully I get a high value on their fixed phone for trade in.
The Following User Says Thank You to BetaMan10 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BetaMan10 Ad-Free
14th March 2020, 03:35 PM |#2  
Flag Schertz
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I too would like to know. However I am keeping mine as I have already traded in my iPhone 11 pro. I am just kinda stuck right now, and am just as frustrated that NO info is available for the snapdragon version. I am also unsure if my unlocked version will get it direct or if I will need to wait for it.
14th March 2020, 04:05 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 132

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaMan10

Anyone have a timeline on when Samsung is going to fix their crap auto focus on the s20 Ultra? I have a 512gb which is out of stock everywhere but I don't want to be stuck with this garbage auto focus as I bought the phone for the camera and it's really bad like fix it or recall it bad. My guess is they will release something after the 15 days and it won't fix it and I will be stuck with garbage but whatever hopefully I get a high value on their fixed phone for trade in.

Nobody has a crystal ball and return it if your unhappy.
14th March 2020, 05:17 PM |#4  
Wartown, GA
Thanks Meter: 607

More
We're just gonna have to wait it out. Samsung is SLOW with their updates.
14th March 2020, 08:59 PM |#5  
Flag Big Country
Thanks Meter: 342

More
April update.
17th March 2020, 06:30 PM |#6  
I've found a sort of fix . (For me anyway) I noticed when I was doing the hand swipe focus test (moving hand in front of sensor... Then moving when focuses and repeating).. and I noticed it was struggling until the little grey circle turned yellow from the "Shot Suggestion" feature... It looks like the phone is prioritizing getting a "good shot" to focusing... When I turned it off my focus sped up and seems to work instantly 99.5% of the time... Let me know if this works for any of you... Also I didn't read through the post so I don't know if this was posted or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to nique0201 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nique0201 Ad-Free
17th March 2020, 08:14 PM |#7  
Flag Greenville
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaMan10

It can be made better to where it works really well in daytime brightness. But will never be very good in low light. Most likely Manual Focus will be needed for very low light situations. That is because the S20 and s20+ use Dual Pixel Auto Focus (DPAF) and the Ultra uses a Phase Detection Auto Focus (PDAF) which is good for fast auto focusing in bright situations like daytime but terrible in low light.
18th March 2020, 04:11 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 132

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nique0201

I've found a sort of fix . (For me anyway) I noticed when I was doing the hand swipe focus test (moving hand in front of sensor... Then moving when focuses and repeating).. and I noticed it was struggling until the little grey circle turned yellow from the "Shot Suggestion" feature... It looks like the phone is prioritizing getting a "good shot" to focusing... When I turned it off my focus sped up and seems to work instantly 99.5% of the time... Let me know if this works for any of you... Also I didn't read through the post so I don't know if this was posted or not.

Shot suggestion was off by default on mine and I disabled scene optimizer as well.
18th March 2020, 10:22 PM |#9  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 100

More
Better question is why aren't the android sites or blogs picking up the auto focus/ camera story? Maybe a little more exposure will hurry Samsung to fix due to bad press.
19th March 2020, 12:22 AM |#10  
Flag Greenville
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HigherSensation

Better question is why aren't the android sites or blogs picking up the auto focus/ camera story? Maybe a little more exposure will hurry Samsung to fix due to bad press.

I got Banned for pushing the issue in Samsung community. They obviously don't like the bad press.
19th March 2020, 01:06 AM |#11  
Flag Winston Salem
Thanks Meter: 271

More
Apparently Samsung has released a fix for Exynos variant https://www.sammobile.com/news/galax...era-autofocus/
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)