Unlocked S20 Ultra

Search This thread

Emperor_Jesse

Feb 22, 2009
Las Vegas
Debating to get the AT&T or Unlocked version.
Previously if you get the unlocked versions of the S series you don't get VVM or VoLTE access unless you do some workaround but that only worked for about a month for me on a S9+.
Currently have the AT&T S10+ and I don't remember having to pay the any additional fees last year.

If I get the AT&T version, the $600 credit is only applied if I do the AT&T payment plan AND a $30 upgrade fee is added. This would be the safe bet to ensure all carrier services are included, but also don't like that I'd be forced to pay an additional $30 when I can just pay the full asking price*.
*If i choose to pay the full price without the payment plan I lose about $300 in credit for my S10+

If I get the unlocked version, I might not have access to VVM or VoLTE. I can deal without the VVM, since I did that for a year when I had the unlocked S9+, and want to know if VoLTE/Vo5G would work out-of-the-box or if only Vo5G will work(because there is going to be more standardized access/bands) but not VoLTE since I believe access to LTE was more limited from unlocked phones?

VZTech

Dec 31, 2019
Debating to get the AT&T or Unlocked version.
Previously if you get the unlocked versions of the S series you don't get VVM or VoLTE access unless you do some workaround but that only worked for about a month for me on a S9+.
Currently have the AT&T S10+ and I don't remember having to pay the any additional fees last year.

If I get the AT&T version, the $600 credit is only applied if I do the AT&T payment plan AND a $30 upgrade fee is added. This would be the safe bet to ensure all carrier services are included, but also don't like that I'd be forced to pay an additional $30 when I can just pay the full asking price*.
*If i choose to pay the full price without the payment plan I lose about $300 in credit for my S10+

If I get the unlocked version, I might not have access to VVM or VoLTE. I can deal without the VVM, since I did that for a year when I had the unlocked S9+, and want to know if VoLTE/Vo5G would work out-of-the-box or if only Vo5G will work(because there is going to be more standardized access/bands) but not VoLTE since I believe access to LTE was more limited from unlocked phones?

Get the unlocked if it gives you more $ back. You could just flash the carrier FW, which will activate the extra features.

Emperor_Jesse

Feb 22, 2009
Las Vegas
Get the unlocked if it gives you more $ back. You could just flash the carrier FW, which will activate the extra features.

Flashing the carrier FW on the S9+ only worked for about a month then I had to register an IMEI from a AT&T branded phone (used a G4) to use VoLTE but that only worked for another month.
The VVM app never got to work either. There's an voicemail app from AT&T on the Play Store but it's for something else(which doesn't make sense since TMobile's VVM works [from what I've read online for the S9s & worked on an unlocked PIxel 2 I had] from the Play Store).

There were a few forums of other folks going through the same issue in 2018(?) but I want to believe this was fixed by Samsung/AT&T.

Last edited:

VZTech

Dec 31, 2019
Flashing the carrier FW on the S9+ only worked for about a month then I had to register a IMEI from a AT&T branded phone (used a G4) to use VoLTE but that only worked for another month.
The VVM app didn't work either.

There were a few forums of other folks going through the same issue in 2018(?) but I want to believe this was fixed by Samsung/AT&T.

Oh, damn. ATT is a PITA.

Sep 7, 2013
Hm. I hope this isn’t the case with Ultra. From reading about it, it seemed the best bet was to get the Unlocked as it has access to all bands? But maybe that’s not right?

In the same situation as you OP. Went for Unlocked instead of the ATT version. I did it for resale value down the road. If it ends up not being able to use certain LTE that’d be highly disappointing

dmb219

Feb 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
I have AT&T. I like the service, I like the plan I have (not available any more), and I make good use of wifi calling. I get it on my unlocked Pixel but the unlocked Samsung phones don't. That's been the case for a few years - I've been paying close attention. I ordered the S20 Ultra AT&T brand and gave up the $600 Pixel trade in , took the $350 option instead. I didn't want a new line or a new plan and it wasn't clear that I could finance through AT&T and keep my plan. It is just as well for me, I will keep my P4XL. That will solve my dilemma of which phone to have. I'll have both. I want the new S20 but I'll miss my Pixel as soon as it is gone.

steely123

Aug 9, 2011
Austin, Texas
I got the unlocked versions of the Note 9 and now pre-ordered unlocked S20 Ultras. TMO VVM, Wifi Calling, and VoLTE has worked on my unlocked devices, not sure about AT&T.

Reactions: teamfresno

teamfresno

Apr 14, 2015
I got the unlocked versions of the Note 9 and now pre-ordered unlocked S20 Ultras. TMO VVM, Wifi Calling, and VoLTE has worked on my unlocked devices, not sure about AT&T.

Thanks for this. I've been wondering about that. I wasn't sure if the T-Mobile features would work with the unlocked version. I went with the T-Mobile version, but I'll probably change my order and get the unlocked version now.

2015Ducatimulti

May 3, 2010
coldwater,mi
Thanks for this. I've been wondering about that. I wasn't sure if the T-Mobile features would work with the unlocked version. I went with the T-Mobile version, but I'll probably change my order and get the unlocked version now.

That`s what I did, I have used oneplus 6 and the pixels on Tmobile and wifi calling and everything worked fine, I cancelled my tmobile s20 ultra 512gb and ordered the unlocked s20 ultra 512gb this morning, took me like 50 tries since they were low on stock and then i was able to place a order, but the delivery the ship date moved from feb 5th to feb 13th, so i`ll have to wait another week for it to ship.

teamfresno

Apr 14, 2015
That`s what I did, I have used oneplus 6 and the pixels on Tmobile and wifi calling and everything worked fine, I cancelled my tmobile s20 ultra 512gb and ordered the unlocked s20 ultra 512gb this morning, took me like 50 tries since they were low on stock and then i was able to place a order, but the delivery the ship date moved from feb 5th to feb 13th, so i`ll have to wait another week for it to ship.

I'm going to give them a call. If I have to cancel my order, then I'll probably get stuck with the T-Mobile version. Since it was my first purchase on Samsung, I got the additional 5% off. I won't be able to use the referral code again. I wish I would of known before I ordered.

2015Ducatimulti

May 3, 2010
coldwater,mi
I'm going to give them a call. If I have to cancel my order, then I'll probably get stuck with the T-Mobile version. Since it was my first purchase on Samsung, I got the additional 5% off. I won't be able to use the referral code again. I wish I would of known before I ordered.

yeah they will probably tell you that the order will need to be cancelled, and reordered......unfortunately.

teamfresno

Apr 14, 2015
yeah they will probably tell you that the order will need to be cancelled, and reordered......unfortunately.

That's exactly what happened. The good news is, they told me that the referral code should activate again within 3 to 5 business days if I want to use it again for the 5% off. Now, I just gotta decide if I want to cancel and wait or not.

_Dennis_

That's exactly what happened. The good news is, they told me that the referral code should activate again within 3 to 5 business days if I want to use it again for the 5% off. Now, I just gotta decide if I want to cancel and wait or not.
Usually you can flash the unlocked software (U1) to the carrier version (U) since it's the same hardware.

teamfresno

Apr 14, 2015
Usually you can flash the unlocked software (U1) to the carrier version (U) since it's the same hardware.

Learned something new today. I didn't know you were able to do that. I thought you could only flash on the unlock version to a carrier one and not vice versa. Thanks! I just ended up cancelling and re-ordering it.

Top Liked Posts