* YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, tough luck.
* Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
*This is will permanently trip knox and there is no way to back
This is of course for exynos only.
Had to figure out this process myself so please come with some input if you can streamline the process
1. unlock the bootloader (oem unlock in dev settings, boot into download mode by pressing both vol up+ down at the same time inserting a usb cable into the phone, press long up to unlock the bootloader)
2. setup the phone by skipping the wizard.
2. download and install latest magisk manager canary.
3. download the same firmware that's running on your phone ( https://www.samfw.com/firmware/SM-G986B)
4. extract the AP file from the zip file.
5. open the AP file with 7zip, extract the boot.img.lz4 file
6. tar up the file in 7zip (right click, 7zip, add to archive, change the archive format to tar)
7. transfer the file to your phone.
8. in magisk manager, press install ->next ->"select and patch a file" -> find the file you transferred to you phone ->next and let's go -> after done exit out of magisk manager and transfer the file back to your computer.
9. reboot to download mode and flash the file in odin ( i used the AP slot)
10. boot the phone to recovery (vol up when booting, if your to late shutdown the phone , vol down and power and try again)
11. factory reset the phone.
12. do the wizard normally after boot up and make sure to install magisk canary manager to get root prompts.
Steps to update your rooted phone
1. download the new firmware
2. extract the boot.img.lz4 from the ap file, tar it up and transfer to your phone, patch in magisk and transfer back.
3. boot you phone to download mode and populate all the slots, just make sure that in the csc slot you pick the HOME_CSC_*.tar.md5, not CSC_*.tar.md5
4. when done and phone is booting, make sure it boots in download mode, if you miss the timing, reboot the phone by pressing vol down + power and try again.
5. flash the patched boot file.