FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

No base S20 on VZW - what will be lost if get an unlocked version?

1,596 posts
Thanks Meter: 390

By Lock-N-Load, Senior Member on 11th February 2020, 10:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
According to what is shown on a Samsung website right now, there will be no base level s20 for Verizon. Verizon will start at the s20+.

I love the idea of bringing an "unlocked" version to VZW, but in past phones I've seen this mean a loss of features like wifi & HD calling. And all kinds of hoops to jump through - w/ mixed success - by users to get basic features working.

Any thoughts on if these issues will carry over still or does the tech changes (or VzW) improving this experience & option for buyers?
11th February 2020, 11:35 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
The phone will not work on Verizon's current 5G network because it doesn't support the mmWave band. Supposedly, there will be a different Verizon S20 that does support mmWave coming out in Q2.
From what I've read on here and reddit, people who had the unlocked S10 did not have issues with Verizon with things like wifi calling, visual voicemail, RCS chat, and VoLTE.
The Following User Says Thank You to k0nkuzh0n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k0nkuzh0n Ad-Free
12th February 2020, 02:02 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Under Your Skin

More
5G is literally of no interest to me. Just for the record that is 😁
12th February 2020, 02:06 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Under Your Skin

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0nkuzh0n

The phone will not work on Verizon's current 5G network because it doesn't support the mmWave band. Supposedly, there will be a different Verizon S20 that does support mmWave coming out in Q2.
From what I've read on here and reddit, people who had the unlocked S10 did not have issues with Verizon with things like wifi calling, visual voicemail, RCS chat, and VoLTE.

I just read this...

"the Galaxy S20 can only make use of the so-called Sub-6 5G. The Galaxy S20+ and S20 Ultra, on the other hand, will support both Sub-6 and mmWave. Verizon is said to exclusively carry a Galaxy S20 variant that also supports mmWave, just to make things even more confusing."
12th February 2020, 08:05 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Following this thread.

I want the S20 (and I have Verizon). Will buy the unlocked version if I won't lose anything (other than 5G capability). I figure when Verizon releases its version I can sell the unlocked one.... Good idea?
13th February 2020, 05:31 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock-N-Load

According to what is shown on a Samsung website right now, there will be no base level s20 for Verizon. Verizon will start at the s20+.

I love the idea of bringing an "unlocked" version to VZW, but in past phones I've seen this mean a loss of features like wifi & HD calling. And all kinds of hoops to jump through - w/ mixed success - by users to get basic features working.

Any thoughts on if these issues will carry over still or does the tech changes (or VzW) improving this experience & option for buyers?

My experience with an unlocked Galaxy phone on Verizon was like you said, no WiFi & HD calling, no native video calls and much slower security updates.
13th February 2020, 07:28 AM |#7  
Flag neuss
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25

My experience with an unlocked Galaxy phone on Verizon was like you said, no WiFi & HD calling, no native video calls and much slower security updates.

From experience of literally any device I had, including Samsung devices, I never had these kinds of problems, even my current device sports all of the things you just mentioned, even though it's unlocked.
I would give it a try, if not you can still refund it and get Verizon's model right?
The Following User Says Thank You to Some random For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Some random Ad-Free
17th February 2020, 01:16 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 944

More
My wife has an unlocked Xperia on Verizon. Wi-Fi calling is not available and she cannot use Verizon's visual voicemail app (I downloaded it from apk mirror and it refused to open). Sony phones are unpopular, so I am not surprised they are not fully supported on VZW. Unlocked Samsung phones may be different in that regard. However, I would not count on Wi-Fi calling nor the ability to use Verizon's VVM on unlocked S20 until someone actually confirms those capabilities, which won't be possible until the phone is launched.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)