FORUMS

Camera on this phone is absolute garbage

234 posts
Thanks Meter: 58
 
Post Reply Email Thread
S20+ 4G Exynos variant.

All I see are oversharpened, overexposed, oversaturated, messy photos.

I am coming from a Pixel 2, granted, but my God this phone is 3 generations newer. I am basically forced to use the 64 MP mode in order to get a decent photo. Night mode is pretty much useless as well.

How do you find the photos and which phone are you coming from?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harisyks For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift harisyks Ad-Free
5th April 2020, 09:21 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Lahaina
Thanks Meter: 482
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harisyks

S20+ 4G Exynos variant.

All I see are oversharpened, overexposed, oversaturated, messy photos.

I am coming from a Pixel 2, granted, but my God this phone is 3 generations newer. I am basically forced to use the 64 MP mode in order to get a decent photo. Night mode is pretty much useless as well.

How do you find the photos and which phone are you coming from?

I have the snapdragon and my camera is really nice. Reason why I got the s20+. Coming from an op7pro
The Following User Says Thank You to avid_droid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift avid_droid Ad-Free
5th April 2020, 10:09 PM |#3  
Member
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harisyks

S20+ 4G Exynos variant.

All I see are oversharpened, overexposed, oversaturated, messy photos.

I am coming from a Pixel 2, granted, but my God this phone is 3 generations newer. I am basically forced to use the 64 MP mode in order to get a decent photo. Night mode is pretty much useless as well.

How do you find the photos and which phone are you coming from?

Can't agree more! This phone camera is useless!!! Literally! Even with the 64 MPx the photos are not up to the level they have to be. I had Huawei Mate 10 Pro and Xiaomi Mi Note 10 - both phones are hundreds of times better than this one. Can't believe that i spend money to buy it. Even that I watched a lot of reviews before buying it. Starting to thing that pretty much all the reviews are paid by Samsung. My last Samsung was S7 and back then I promised myself not to go back with the brand again. I deeply regret that now and reconfirm that I was right not to choose Samsung again.
5th April 2020, 10:53 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_droid

I have the snapdragon and my camera is really nice. Reason why I got the s20+. Coming from an op7pro

Yes, I compared the snapdragon and exynos versions and in almost all cases you can clearly see the difference.
The exynos version is really inferior.
5th April 2020, 11:10 PM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_droid

I have the snapdragon and my camera is really nice. Reason why I got the s20+. Coming from an op7pro

After sometimes testing the s20+

- Overexposed: most time i have HDR activated, why i haven't problems with that
- Saturated images: the default display of the screen is already set to "vivid", on my pc they seem better.
- Oversharpened, right..

I would have preferred to have more manual control without having to go through the raw pro mode:

- Rendered slightly grainy rather than too smooth, oil-painted
- Manual control of jpeg compression, better quality image files
‐ Sharpness adjusted according to the subject photographed: more sharpness for a landscape, less for a portrait

- Have the ability to use the raw format for the ultra wide angle lens

Sorry for my english
The Following User Says Thank You to Alcamo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Alcamo Ad-Free
5th April 2020, 11:18 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 41
 
More
I have the Snapdragon. Only problem I have really noticed is I have a hard time getting the phone to focus on things up close. Like I tried to take a picture of the front and back of an insurance card thx other day while it was laying on the counter, and the camera just couldn't figure it out. I had to close the camera a couple times and come back in before it focused.
5th April 2020, 11:19 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
At the lowest sensitivity, at 40 iso, the rendering is without texture, it's too smooth!
6th April 2020, 02:11 AM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 131
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirilorius

Can't agree more! This phone camera is useless!!! Literally! Even with the 64 MPx the photos are not up to the level they have to be. I had Huawei Mate 10 Pro and Xiaomi Mi Note 10 - both phones are hundreds of times better than this one. Can't believe that i spend money to buy it. Even that I watched a lot of reviews before buying it. Starting to thing that pretty much all the reviews are paid by Samsung. My last Samsung was S7 and back then I promised myself not to go back with the brand again. I deeply regret that now and reconfirm that I was right not to choose Samsung again.

Simply not true. I have tested the Mi Note 10 vs the [email protected] 64MP and it got destroyed, even with GCAM.

Did you turned off bixby optimizer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray44

Yes, I compared the snapdragon and exynos versions and in almost all cases you can clearly see the difference.
The exynos version is really inferior.

No its not, its actually better.
The Following User Says Thank You to dazed1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dazed1 Ad-Free
6th April 2020, 10:14 AM |#9  
bala_gamer's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Madurai-Chennai
Thanks Meter: 7,086
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray44

Yes, I compared the snapdragon and exynos versions and in almost all cases you can clearly see the difference.
The exynos version is really inferior.

Its the opposite, anandtech review says exynos variant has an upper hand compared to snapdragons this year.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bala_gamer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bala_gamer Ad-Free
6th April 2020, 10:32 AM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
More
anandtech must have been drinking then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHxRH8aYnUU
The Following User Says Thank You to Gray44 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gray44 Ad-Free
6th April 2020, 03:46 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 131
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray44

anandtech must have been drinking then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHxRH8aYnUU

So you pick youtube video with old firmware, of semi pro reviewer, vs the best on the planet? yeah, no.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dazed1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dazed1 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes