[DEV][KERNEL][13 NOV] Convert EXT4 to F2FS [BETA]

2,920 posts
Thanks Meter: 771

By RoryB, Inactive Recognized Developer on 21st October 2014, 04:39 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from RoryB: Convert fstab from EXT4 to F2FS on the AT&T Samsung Galaxy SIII
I thank @frantisek.nesveda for his Agnostic-kernel - partition independent kernel flasher on which I base this. I also thank everyone he thanks. Additionally, I thank anyone who posted about F2FS and formatting partitions. I read a lot of threads and I’m sure I gleaned something from everything I read.

For now this has to be done after flashing your preferred firmware (ROM). I recommend you make all your desired changes especially changing kernels.

Copy the files to your sdcard where you typically put flash files. I recommend an external card, because this is the only way I do it and I have not tested the other way. If you put it on your internal card it needs to be outside the /system and /data partitions because you'll lose them during formatting.
Also, I have only tested this on PhilZ Touch 6.58.9 recovery. I would appreciate anyone testing on other recoveries if you find one that supports f2fs.

If you are not on PhilZ 6.58.9, flash the zip and reboot to recovery.

Make a full back up of your ROM.

I also recommend you have an Odin based recovery plan. During my trials I ended up with a blank screen and used Odin to get back. This may not be the case with this latest PhilZ.

Format the partitions to f2fs.
It is in "Wipe and Format Options", then "Custom Format Options" then "Toggle f2fs <-> ext4 migration"
Remember, to format data you pick /sdcard. Also, this will remove everything on your internal card.

See warnings in post #2

I include a testF2FS zip to confirm the formatting.

Then use custom restore to get the data and/or the system from the backup. You can skip cache since it gets rebuilt.

Then flash GS3-F2FS-kernel-fstab-Fixer to adjust the kernel boot image to support the new formats.

This only fixes the fstab and if the kernel does not have f2fs support it will not work.

As always, no one is responsible for what happens to your phone. Everyone does this on their own and at their own risk.

Please do NOT mirror these files.

It appears to only work with the PhilZ recovery I built. If someone finds another please let us know.

Also, it does not work on TouchWiz ROMs. If someone finds one that it does work on please let us know.

Do not use the phone setting Factory Data Reset

XDA:DevDB Information
F2FS, Tool/Utility for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III

Contributors
RoryB

Version Information
Beta Release Date: 2014-11-13

Created 2014-10-21
Last Updated 2014-12-06
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-20 10.38.51.png
Views:	2221
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	2979682   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-20 14.51.38.png
Views:	2177
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	2979683   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-20 18.50.32.png
Views:	2170
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	2979684  
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to RoryB For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RoryB Ad-Free
21st October 2014, 04:39 PM |#2  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Lexington

Donate to Me
More
Reserved
Latest files on Android File Host

Remember, to format data you pick /sdcard. Also, this will remove everything on your internal card.

Do not factory reset through the phone settings. This appears to format as ext4 and does not keep your formatting.
If you do you would need to try the f2fs fixer before rebooting. I have not so let us know how it goes if you try.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RoryB For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RoryB Ad-Free
21st October 2014, 04:39 PM |#3  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Lexington

Donate to Me
More
[OLD WAY]
For now this has to be done after flashing your preferred firmware (ROM).

Copy the files to your sdcard where you typically put flash files. I recommend an external card, because this is the only way I do it and I have not tested the other way. Also, I have only tested this on PhilZ Touch 6.48.4 recovery. I would appreciate anyone testing on other recoveries.

Make a full back up of your ROM.
It seems it is best to get everything the way you want before the back up, including any kernel changes.
I also recommend you have an Odin based recovery plan. During my trials I ended up with a blank screen and used Odin to get back.

Flash the zip file for what format you want to change. I include a testF2FS zip to confirm the formatting. For some reason it sometimes takes more than one try to format the partitions. Sometimes rebooting recovery helps before trying to confirm the formatting.

NOTE: Sometimes the phone reboots on its own while formatting. Be prepared to press the home and volume up buttons for two vibrations to get back to recovery. The first is the final power down and the second is the powering up. Remember to wait for the blue text in the upper left corner.

Then I use custom restore to get the data and/or the system from my backup. You can skip cache.

Then I flash GS3-F2FS-kernel-Fixer to adjust the boot image to support the new formats.

This only fixes the fstab and if the kernel does not have f2fs support it will not work. If they are getting upstream changes they should have it.

As always, no one is responsible for what happens to your phone. Everyone does this on their own and at their own risk.

Please do NOT mirror these files.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoryB For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RoryB Ad-Free
21st October 2014, 06:12 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1,959

More
yahoo!!!! thank you for what had to have been alot of research , testing , and i cant imagine what-nots.
will try out tonite and report back

err on the side of kindness
21st October 2014, 08:57 PM |#5  
Flag Somewhere, Someplace
Thanks Meter: 7,427

Donate to Me
More
Saving my response until after class... Thus is awesome

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
21st October 2014, 11:03 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Look forward to testing tonight! Will post with results when I have them

Sent from my CARBON-SGH-I747
21st October 2014, 11:28 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 188

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchatz

Look forward to testing tonight! Will post with results when I have them

Two different phone both liquid ROM. F2fs all versus f2fs none
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1413930459068.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (53.6 KB, 893 views)
File Type: jpg 1413930489864.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (53.7 KB, 784 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aircooledbusses For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aircooledbusses Ad-Free
21st October 2014, 11:29 PM |#8  

More
Thanks again Rory!!
The Following User Says Thank You to aircooledbusses For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aircooledbusses Ad-Free
21st October 2014, 11:50 PM |#9  

More
Didn't work for me in TWRP, with latest Carbon Nightly. Just finished in about two seconds, and the test zip failed, indicating nothing changed.

Next step is a CWM I guess!

22nd October 2014, 12:05 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchatz

Didn't work for me in TWRP, with latest Carbon Nightly. Just finished in about two seconds, and the test zip failed, indicating nothing changed.

Next step is a CWM I guess!

I tried some stuff before with formatting partitions in twrp and it always failed. Even the newest 8.whatever just freaks out with unrecognized file system. I've not been a fan of philz ever before, but since that's what is working I Will adapt
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aircooledbusses For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aircooledbusses Ad-Free
22nd October 2014, 12:13 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooledbusses

I tried some stuff before with formatting partitions in twrp and it always failed. Even the newest 8.whatever just freaks out with unrecognized file system. I've not been a fan of philz ever before, but since that's what is working I Will adapt

I guess Philz it is, as latest CWM failed in the same fashion.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
development

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)