Tried update, now says software is up to date

Search This thread

rblancrt

Dec 21, 2010
Hello,

I have always thought that OTA update would fail with a custom recovery. However after reading about another user's experience I decided to try it. This person stated that when they did the update CWM warned them that it would be replaced and asked if they wanted to fix it. It also warned that they would lose root and asked if they wanted to fix it. Sound familiar to anyone?

I did download the update but when I tried to install it failed. Now AT&T says my software is up to date, which is not true.

I am still on 4.1.2, rooted, CWM installed. Best way to upgrade now? I can't even find the OTA upgrade file that I downloaded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Free mobile app

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Hello,

I have always thought that OTA update would fail with a custom recovery. However after reading about another user's experience I decided to try it. This person stated that when they did the update CWM warned them that it would be replaced and asked if they wanted to fix it. It also warned that they would lose root and asked if they wanted to fix it. Sound familiar to anyone?

I did download the update but when I tried to install it failed. Now AT&T says my software is up to date, which is not true.

I am still on 4.1.2, rooted, CWM installed. Best way to upgrade now? I can't even find the OTA upgrade file that I downloaded.

From my experience with 3 i747m phones, rooted systems well not take an ota update.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

rblancrt

Dec 21, 2010
I don't have to install OTA, I just wanted to update to the latest official AT&T version. Is there a flashable available that will work coming from 4.1.2?

By the way I used triangle away, downloaded update again, thought it was going to work but the update crashed

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
The latest firmware that's available is the 4.3 build. Havent been able to make a working one for 4.4.2 yet. But you can update using that firmware then use one of the threads in this section to update to kk.

rblancrt

Dec 21, 2010
Ok confused. Not sure how to install 4.3. Have read about bootloaders and modems needed before flashing. Guess I will have to keep reading. How to gy from 4.1.2 rooted, CWM, to the latest official which now I think is 4.3?

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Since you do not have the 4.3 bootloader, you could start fresh by installing stock 4.1.1 from sammobile.com using Odin and then just keep running OTA until you get to 4.4.2. Remember, using Odin will wipe everything on the phone so make sure you backup your important data.

rblancrt

Dec 21, 2010
Since you do not have the 4.3 bootloader, you could start fresh by installing stock 4.1.1 from sammobile.com using Odin and then just keep running OTA until you get to 4.4.2. Remember, using Odin will wipe everything on the phone so make sure you backup your important data.

Everytime I try to download something from Sammobile.com my AVG pops up a warning. Is this normal? I haven't yet made it through all of their stalls, installs, etc. to get to downloading the actually firmware.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Used to love AVG. But I think theyve gone downhill and this is a perfect example. Its a false positive. (Unless your browsers been hijacked or youre clicking on a bad/fake link).
Ive been using sammobile for years and never had a single problem.

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I have been using sammobile for quite some time.

The site is legit. Maybe avg is causing the problem. I can download with no problem.

rblancrt

Dec 21, 2010
Not trying to be annoying, as I said haven't done any of this for a while but.....could I not flash a stock recovery, use triangle away, unroot, and then get the ota to work?

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Not trying to be annoying, as I said haven't done any of this for a while but.....could I not flash a stock recovery, use triangle away, unroot, and then get the ota to work?

You could try that but there is no guarantee that it'll take the OTA update after going through the procedure you described.

If you removed too many Samsung Apps, that may cause the OTA update to fail as well.

rblancrt

Dec 21, 2010
Don't think I removed any Samsung or ATT apps I just had them disabled. Since I tried to run the update though they have all resurrected themselves. I have never flashed a stock recovery or unrooted before though

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Don't think I removed any Samsung or ATT apps I just had them disabled. Since I tried to run the update though they have all resurrected themselves. I have never flashed a stock recovery or unrooted before though

All I can say is try it and see what happens. If it doesn't work, the simplest would be to restore to completely stock and start the OTA update process.

rblancrt

Dec 21, 2010

I guess I can't read, but so far I have been unable to download the 4.1.1 from sammobile. I have gotten some media player, etc. which I don't know whether is still on my computer or not, but have not gotten to the download of the actual software.

Do I have to agree to everything that they try to get me to install?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

From my experience with 3 i747m phones, rooted systems well not take an ota update.
    Yup, you cannot get the ota if rooted, or with a custom recovery. You need to be full stock. Best way is a fresh firmware flash and factory reset.
    The latest firmware that's available is the 4.3 build. Havent been able to make a working one for 4.4.2 yet. But you can update using that firmware then use one of the threads in this section to update to kk.
    You can either follow the OP through step 4, or flash the firmware from this thread using Odin. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2722660

After that you can follow the remaining steps in this OP, or try to get the official ota to update to 4.4.2.