[RECOVERY LOCKED/AT&T S3 MINI NG3] Safestrap Recovery v4.03 TEST01 [2016-04-19]

Search This thread

afaneh92

Account currently disabled
Jul 31, 2012
AT&T SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 MINI (GOLDENLTEATT)

PLEASE READ READ READENTIRE OP

"ALL MAJOR WORK DONE BY HASHCODE SO GO GIVE HIM SOM THANKS.DO NOT POST ANY BUG OR ISSUE COUSED BY THIS RECOVERY IN ORIGINAL THREAD BY HASHCODE, POST HERE AND I WILL HELP YOU."

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
BETA v4.03-TEST01 (NG3)

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?
Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.6.1.0 (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
Here you can create virtual ROM-slots (3-4 on the S3 due to partition size and internal space) for flashing ROMs. NOTE: The bigger you make the /data partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
Requirement: Root
[NEW FOR v4.00+ KK Safestrap] Requirement:
-Uninstall old Safestrap application.
-busybox. Grab "Busybox" from the Play Store and run the installer.

Once installed, open up the Safestrap application, Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.

INSTALL VIDEO by DMX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RZI...e_gdata_player
HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
Press the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting (or the hard button underneath each option).

HOW DO I UPGRADE SAFESTRAP?
Push the APK up to your sdcard.
Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
Open your old Safestrap app and use the "Uninstall Recovery" button
Browse to where you pushed the APK
Click on it and install like normal
Once installed, open the APK, Grant SU access, Use the "Install Recovery" button.

KNOWN ISSUES:
- Sometimes the installation doesn't work correctly. If you don't see the splashscreen after a rebooting. Install Safestrap again. (DEBUGGING THIS AS I GET TIME)
- Busybox is now required for the Safestrap APK to work correctly

DOWNLOADS:
CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING AT&T SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 MINI (GOLDENLTEATT) [KITKAT:NG3]
LATEST FILE: Safestrap-GOLDENLTEATT-4.03-TEST01.apk
androidfilehost

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

Special Thanks To
@Hashcode , DeesTroy & TeamWin for all their hard work making TWRP such a fantastic recovery. If you are considering a donation, then please have a look at the Team WIN website: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

Last edited:

afaneh92

Account currently disabled
Jul 31, 2012
CHANGES:
4.03-TEST01
[2016-04-19] initial build.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2012
Levelland
Your youtube link is broken. That aside, gonna take a look at this soon. Got a used S3 Mini coming in the mail. :p

Will be nice to at least be able to debloat the stock rom on this phone. That's what I generally tend to do with the android phones I own. The Wifi issue concerns me though:

you need kernel modules of your stock slot rom
extract from /system/lib/modules

Does this only matter if I were to use a custom rom? If I just boot a debloated stock rom this is not an issue? Not sure where I'd put the modules either. Been awhile since I've done any custom rom stuff with Android. But safestrap is definitely a new thing as back in the day locked bootloader is generally a death nail for any chance of a custom rom.... :p

Last edited:
Reactions: nikos3194

turnert

May 24, 2015
Las Vegas
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Your youtube link is broken. That aside, gonna take a look at this soon. Got a used S3 Mini coming in the mail. :p

Will be nice to at least be able to debloat the stock rom on this phone. That's what I generally tend to do with the android phones I own. The Wifi issue concerns me though:

Does this only matter if I were to use a custom rom? If I just boot a debloated stock rom this is not an issue? Not sure where I'd put the modules either. Been awhile since I've done any custom rom stuff with Android. But safestrap is definitely a new thing as back in the day locked bootloader is generally a death nail for any chance of a custom rom.... :p
I actually fixed the WiFi problem, to fix it you just need to add a couple of lines in the updater script

shockazulu

Jan 24, 2013
I also made a debloated and deodexed ROM for this device but root doesn't seem to work and random things just don't work sometimes

The latest rom is here....
Galaxy S3 Mini Lineage OS 14.1

Source Link: https://www.cyanogenmods.org/forums/topic/lineage-os-14-1-galaxy-s3-mini-android-7-1-rom/

Also to root.... I simply used king root. then once done I immediately used super-sume from google play to automatically remove kingroot and install SuperSU.

But I believe in this new rom you can simply enable developer options then in those settings you can turn root on and off whenever you want.
Not sure about this root option on this rom. If not just do the kingroot and super sume thing.

turnert

May 24, 2015
Las Vegas
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Source Link: https://www.cyanogenmods.org/forums/topic/lineage-os-14-1-galaxy-s3-mini-android-7-1-rom/

Also to root.... I simply used king root. then once done I immediately used super-sume from google play to automatically remove kingroot and install SuperSU.

But I believe in this new rom you can simply enable developer options then in those settings you can turn root on and off whenever you want.
Not sure about this root option on this rom. If not just do the kingroot and super sume thing.
Sadly that rom is not compatible with the g730a variant of the Galaxy s3 mini. It has a locked bootloader so we are limited to stock based ROMs.

Reactions: nikos3194

shockazulu

Jan 24, 2013
Sadly that rom is not compatible with the g730a variant of the Galaxy s3 mini. It has a locked bootloader so we are limited to stock based ROMs.

I was hoping that this is what safestrap was for. So we could run custom roms using the workwround for the boot loaader?
Am I wrong about what safestrap is for?

turnert

May 24, 2015
Las Vegas
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I was hoping that this is what safestrap was for. So we could run custom roms using the workwround for the boot loaader?
Am I wrong about what safestrap is for?
With safestrap you can run custom ROMs. But safestrap does not unlock the bootloader so we are limited to stock based custom ROMs(like debloated ROMs). It may be possible to Port a custom rom like aosp or cm to the g730a model but it's very unlikely. Even if the bootloader was unlocked the rom above is for a different s3 mini with a different processor so it would not be compatible and we would have to port a custom rom from scratch.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

you need kernel modules of your stock slot rom
    extract from /system/lib/modules

I actually fixed the WiFi problem, to fix it you just need to add a couple of lines in the updater script

I also made a debloated and deodexed ROM for this device but root doesn't seem to work and random things just don't work sometimes