FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

ATT S3 Mini SM-G730A 4.4.2 Root Success

83 posts
Thanks Meter: 38

Post Reply Email Thread
Please follow all the steps or you'll have bricked device

Step 1 :
This is the easiest way to enable USB debugging.
Dial *#0808#
Select last option, DM+Modem+ADB

YOUR PHONE MUST ASK FOR USB DEBUGGING AUTHORIZATION ! YOU MUST CHECK ALWAYS ALLOW FROM THIS COMPUTER AND THEN PRESS OK. IF YOU DO NOT GET THIS DO NOT PROCEED

Step 2:
Reboot phone into download mode
Select PDA slot in odin
And flash the tar file root kernel (you'll need to extract contents of rar file and rename file to boot.tar)
Your device will not have display but it will still be working, run saferoot.

Step 3:
Use saferoot thanks to k1mu, Surge1223, download is at the end of the post linked below
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...09&postcount=1
After phone reboots for first time remove USB and enter download mode.

Step 4:
Select PDA slot in odin
And flash the tar file restore display kernel (you'll need to extract contents of rar file and rename file to boot.tar)

Step 5:
Install Supersu from market and open it. Continue with saferoot, that is waiting for the phone.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Root Kernel.rar - [Click for QR Code] (6.26 MB, 13223 views)
File Type: rar Restore Display kernel.rar - [Click for QR Code] (6.90 MB, 11557 views)
File Type: zip saferoot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.09 MB, 9385 views)
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to atinder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift atinder Ad-Free
5th October 2014, 09:24 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
When flashing the root_boot.tar.md5 i get an error.
<OSM> MD5 hash value is invalid
<OSM> root_boot.tar.md5 is invalid.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

nvm, I fixed it by removing the .md5 extension.

You're awesome! Thanks!
6th October 2014, 03:26 PM |#3  
Flag Yavapai County
Thanks Meter: 213

More
Nice work.

Looks like we're flashing 4.2.2's kernel, rooting, then flashing 4.4.2's kernel again.

I guess this also means there is the potential to downgrade back to 4.2.2 completely with mobile odin now...
6th October 2014, 11:34 PM |#4  
Flag Yavapai County

More
Did you guys have any trouble getting SuperSU to update the su binary?
SU works, just prompts me to update the binary and fails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-10-06-15-25-01.png
Views:	1073
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2962271  
7th October 2014, 12:39 AM |#5  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by az4x4runner

Nice work.

Looks like we're flashing 4.2.2's kernel, rooting, then flashing 4.4.2's kernel again.

I guess this also means there is the potential to downgrade back to 4.2.2 completely with mobile odin now...

You can downgrade to 4.2.2, just flash the stock bootloader first, then it will let you flash the ROM. I had to do it because I bricked at the 4.4.2 upgrade.

Trying this root now!
7th October 2014, 12:40 AM |#6  
Flag Yavapai County

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdevin

You can downgrade to 4.2.2, just flash the stock bootloader first, then it will let you flash the ROM. I had to do it because I bricked at the 4.4.2 upgrade.

Trying this root now!

I have not been able to find the JB bootloader. It's out there? The ROMs on Sammobile don't include it... I had previously bricked trying to downgrade due to the locked KK bootloader.
7th October 2014, 01:39 AM |#7  
Flag Philadelphia

More
Quote:

I have not been able to find the JB bootloader. It's out there? The ROMs on Sammobile don't include it... I had previously bricked trying to downgrade due to the locked KK bootloader.

Sorry, I misspoke. I don't know if it was the bootloader or something else. Check this out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=18

Also, root works!

Someone want to explain how those two files could be flashed via ODIN?
7th October 2014, 01:43 AM |#8  
Flag Yavapai County

More
Quote:

Sorry, I misspoke. I don't know if it was the bootloader or something else. Check this out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=18

Also, root works!

Someone want to explain how those two files could be flashed via ODIN?

They are stock kernel images. I've never had issues flashing stock kernels or recoveries with Odin.
7th October 2014, 06:01 AM |#9  
Flag Philadelphia

More
Quote:

They are stock kernel images. I've never had issues flashing stock kernels or recoveries with Odin.

stock images from the sm-g730a? or another device?
7th October 2014, 06:06 AM |#10  
Flag Yavapai County

More
Quote:

stock images from the sm-g730a? or another device?

From the SM-G730A.

"Root kernel" is simply the 4.2.2 stock kernel, which worked with Saferoot previously, and still does.

"Restore display kernel" is the stock 4.4.2 kernel you started with, you're just reflashing it after rooting.

I extracted boot.img from each ROM (4.2.2 and 4.4.2), created my own tar.md5 files and was able to root successfully also. I'm not sure why the ones in this post don't work with the md5 extension. It's a great idea.
7th October 2014, 08:44 PM |#11  
Flag Philadelphia

More
Quote:

From the SM-G730A.

"Root kernel" is simply the 4.2.2 stock kernel, which worked with Saferoot previously, and still does.

"Restore display kernel" is the stock 4.4.2 kernel you started with, you're just reflashing it after rooting.

I extracted boot.img from each ROM (4.2.2 and 4.4.2), created my own tar.md5 files and was able to root successfully also. I'm not sure why the ones in this post don't work with the md5 extension. It's a great idea.

ah I see. that makes sense
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)