FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[Q] WiFi not working on cm 11?

6 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By zomvam13, Junior Member on 15th August 2014, 03:45 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm running cm 10.2.1 that I installed using cwm Recovery. I had to modify the update script using root explorer before the install but after doing that the install went smoothly and I haven't had any real issues with the ROM. I had almost given up trying to update to cm 11 but decided to try the install with philz recovery which actually worked. However, after the update to cm 11 my mobile data no longer works and I am not even able to connect to WiFi. At first I thought that this may have something to do with the APN settings since I am using the boost version of the sprint phone, but the APN settings on my cm 10.2.1 are set for sprint and work fine and they don't change once I install the update. Also, I don't know for sure but I don't even think that the APN being incorrectly set would effect my ability to connect to WiFi. Somebody please give me some advice on this. Thank you.

15th August 2014, 04:13 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 244

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zomvam13

I'm running cm 10.2.1 that I installed using cwm Recovery. I had to modify the update script using root explorer before the install but after doing that the install went smoothly and I haven't had any real issues with the ROM. I had almost given up trying to update to cm 11 but decided to try the install with philz recovery which actually worked. However, after the update to cm 11 my mobile data no longer works and I am not even able to connect to WiFi. At first I thought that this may have something to do with the APN settings since I am using the boost version of the sprint phone, but the APN settings on my cm 10.2.1 are set for sprint and work fine and they don't change once I install the update. Also, I don't know for sure but I don't even think that the APN being incorrectly set would effect my ability to connect to WiFi. Somebody please give me some advice on this. Thank you.

When you installed CM11, did you do clean install?

PhilZ has a setting where you can do a wipe solely for the purpose of installing a new ROM. (Philz is my one and only recovery.)

You cannot simply flash CM11 over CM10. You need to do a clean install, so you should use a backup utility to backup all your user apps. (You'll also want to download a GAPPs package that is compatible with CM11.)

APN configurations would not affect your WiFi connectivity. DIrty flashing CM11 over CM10 might, it could also be related to a custom kernel. Make sure if you're using a custom kernel, that it is compatible with whatever Android version you're using (e.g. 4.4.4)

Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Higgs_Boson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Higgs_Boson Ad-Free
15th August 2014, 06:26 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs_Boson

When you installed CM11, did you do clean install?

PhilZ has a setting where you can do a wipe solely for the purpose of installing a new ROM. (Philz is my one and only recovery.)

You cannot simply flash CM11 over CM10. You need to do a clean install, so you should use a backup utility to backup all your user apps. (You'll also want to download a GAPPs package that is compatible with CM11.)

APN configurations would not affect your WiFi connectivity. DIrty flashing CM11 over CM10 might, it could also be related to a custom kernel. Make sure if you're using a custom kernel, that it is compatible with whatever Android version you're using (e.g. 4.4.4)

Hope this helps.

Thank you. Yeah I tried this and it did help with my mobile data, but I am still unable to connect to WiFi. Before my WiFi icon in quick setting just stayed red and now the icon is normal but when I try to connect i get an authentication error. I know I have the password right. Not sure what to do.
15th August 2014, 07:29 PM |#4  

More
Quote:

Thank you. Yeah I tried this and it did help with my mobile data, but I am still unable to connect to WiFi. Before my WiFi icon in quick setting just stayed red and now the icon is normal but when I try to connect i get an authentication error. I know I have the password right. Not sure what to do.

What does the authentication error say?
Also, what build of CM11 are you using?

Make sure you are using the CM11 builds for d2lte:

https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=d2lte

Also, use the Philz recovery found here:

https://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_...Edition/d2lte/

Please help us help you. Be specific about exactly what steps you took to flash the ROM and any errors (with details) that you encounter.
16th August 2014, 04:23 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

What does the authentication error say?
Also, what build of CM11 are you using?

Make sure you are using the CM11 builds for d2lte:

Also, use the Philz recovery found here:

Please help us help you. Be specific about exactly what steps you took to flash the ROM and any errors (with details) that you encounter.

In the WiFi menu I choose my network and then enter the password and first It tells me "authenticating" which is normal, but then instead of connecting it just says authentication problem. That's all it says. I have tried turning WiFi off then back on, rechecked the password, reboot the phone and everything else I can think of.

This was the same for the 08/13/14 and the 08/14/14 nightly builds for the d2lte which I downloaded from the cm updater in settings>about phone>CyanogenMod updates. I used the app root explorer to extract the zip and then went in to the update script and modified it so that I would not get a status 7 error. Then I zipped the files back up like they were only now with the modified update script, and booted into recovery. I am using philz touch 6.48.4 for the d2lte which I flashed with mobile Odin pro. I chose the clean for new ROM option and then installed the ROM and then flashed the gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip. then I rebooted the phone and began the set up process. It seems that everything works fine other than that I am unable to connect to WiFi.

I also tried the same process, except after cleaning to install a new ROM I also wiped the dalvik cache. This had no effect.
16th August 2014, 04:46 AM |#6  

More
Quote:

In the WiFi menu I choose my network and then enter the password and first It tells me "authenticating" which is normal, but then instead of connecting it just says authentication problem. That's all it says. I have tried turning WiFi off then back on, rechecked the password, reboot the phone and everything else I can think of.

This was the same for the 08/13/14 and the 08/14/14 nightly builds for the d2lte which I downloaded from the cm updater in settings>about phone>CyanogenMod updates. I used the app root explorer to extract the zip and then went in to the update script and modified it so that I would not get a status 7 error. Then I zipped the files back up like they were only now with the modified update script, and booted into recovery. I am using philz touch 6.48.4 for the d2lte which I flashed with mobile Odin pro. I chose the clean for new ROM option and then installed the ROM and then flashed the gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip. then I rebooted the phone and began the set up process. It seems that everything works fine other than that I am unable to connect to WiFi.

I also tried the same process, except after cleaning to install a new ROM I also wiped the dalvik cache. This had no effect.

First and foremost, those nightlies you tested are Android 4.4.4. Here is a 4.4.4 GAPPs package: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23610159112653416

Why are you tweaking the updater script? This should not be necessary. I flash ROMs just fine with PhilZ. Also, you do not need to flash recoveries via ODIN. You can download the .zip (not .md5) file and flash it in recovery. The recovery will flash the recovery over the recovery.

When you reflash the ROM and you have a fresh clean slate on the phone, unplug the router for 30 seconds to power cycle the router, and plug back in. The router may be having an issue with the MAC Address to your network card in your phone.

You can show the password in the WiFi interface to ensure that you are typing the correct password. If you suspect that you are getting the password wrong, you can go into your router's settings and change the password. (e.g. http://192.168.0.1 --> Change the security settings).

Give it another shot. Do not edit the updater script. I've never had a status 7 error. If needed, reflash the recovery as a zip file in recovery.

I hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Higgs_Boson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Higgs_Boson Ad-Free
18th August 2014, 02:26 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

First and foremost, those nightlies you tested are Android 4.4.4. Here is a 4.4.4 GAPPs package: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23610159112653416

Why are you tweaking the updater script? This should not be necessary. I flash ROMs just fine with PhilZ. Also, you do not need to flash recoveries via ODIN. You can download the .zip (not .md5) file and flash it in recovery. The recovery will flash the recovery over the recovery.

When you reflash the ROM and you have a fresh clean slate on the phone, unplug the router for 30 seconds to power cycle the router, and plug back in. The router may be having an issue with the MAC Address to your network card in your phone.

You can show the password in the WiFi interface to ensure that you are typing the correct password. If you suspect that you are getting the password wrong, you can go into your router's settings and change the password. (e.g. http://192.168.0.1 --> Change the security settings).

Give it another shot. Do not edit the updater script. I've never had a status 7 error. If needed, reflash the recovery as a zip file in recovery.

I hope this helps.

So.... Even after my certainty that I had the WiFi password right, it turns out that I was leaving out one letter. Wow!
Although I am still having a little issue with my mobile data. For some reason when I turn off my WiFi my mobile data goes off too. Sometimes it comes back on and sometimes it doesn't. Thanks a lit for the help.
18th August 2014, 04:41 AM |#8  

More
Quote:

So.... Even after my certainty that I had the WiFi password right, it turns out that I was leaving out one letter. Wow!
Although I am still having a little issue with my mobile data. For some reason when I turn off my WiFi my mobile data goes off too. Sometimes it comes back on and sometimes it doesn't. Thanks a lit for the help.

Are you sure your mobile data is, in fact, switching off? There could just be some latency between the WiFi switching off and mobile data coming on.

You might try clean flashing the ROM again, or clean flashing a newer nightly altogether.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)