[ROM] [Unofficial] [LineageOS 14.1] [Verizon] [d2vzw] [SCH-I535]

Search This thread

damianesteves

Aug 17, 2015
Just flashed this on my S3 coming from Cyanogen (it had been a while since I'd booted it up last). No issues so far. Thanks for putting these up!

Sudosftw

Jun 13, 2017
POCO M3
Just tried to install this via safestrap 4.01 on an SGS3 given to me by a friend. it bootloops at the samsung screen and doesn't allow anything past that.
is this ROM only meant for devices pre-kitkat without safestrap? Can it be modified to actually boot FROM safestrap?

Just tried to install this via safestrap 4.01 on an SGS3 given to me by a friend. it bootloops at the samsung screen and doesn't allow anything past that.
is this ROM only meant for devices pre-kitkat without safestrap? Can it be modified to actually boot FROM safestrap?
Custom Firmwares, like this one, can only be installed on devices with unlocked Bootloaders.

SafeStrap is used for rooted devices with a locked bootloader.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I DO NOT provide support via PM unless asked/requested by myself. PLEASE keep it in the threads where everyone can share.

Sudosftw

Jun 13, 2017
POCO M3
Custom Firmwares, like this one, can only be installed on devices with unlocked Bootloaders.
SafeStrap is used for rooted devices with a locked bootloader.

Makes no sense to me. I have a Droid 4 and Razr both with safestrap and those can adequately run Lineage 14.1 without a hitch using safestrap. both have a locked bootloader.
I don't understand what the problem is with this specific phone that makes it impossible to run custom ROMs from within safestrap. does this version of safestrap not try to coax the bootloader that the kernel is being updated? that's how the OMAP4 Droids all are able to get their ROMs working.

Makes no sense to me....
I never stated that it's not possible for all devices...

I was just stating, in a friendly manner, that It's NOT possible for this specific device.

Good Luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I DO NOT provide support via PM unless asked/requested by myself. PLEASE keep it in the threads where everyone can share.

Reactions: J-Lindo

bbolton_98

Mar 3, 2008
Pensacola
Samsung Galaxy S20
Thank for helping me keep my S3 running still my daily driver since preordered. Been on Octo for awhile but its no longer being updated, so I was worried I was going to have to find a new device. As my wife has gone thru 9 ( yes nine) devices since I got my bulletproof S3 . I just don't know what else is out there for a rooting tinkering old fart like me. Hopefully, its tired old bones can handle a few more flashes and wipes. Will get setup to flash this coming weekend and let you know how it goes. Before I forget , is there a kernel you suggest or is the included one good to play with. I teither a lot and slow down my CPU just abit for temp. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thank for helping me keep my S3 running still my daily driver since preordered. Been on Octo for awhile but its no longer being updated, so I was worried.....
Try updating the TWRP Recovery first to the New Release v3.2.2-0 from their Official Website first.

I, personally, feel that this LineageOS build has improved a bit after I had updated TWRP but, nobody can guarantee for anything that what works for one will work for all.

I'm not the developer for this Unofficial LineageOS development but, @mjb32803 is the developer and is extremely helpful regarding support.

The lack of member posts here could mean that this LineageOS is either flawless or not very well known around the d2vzw community (I'd like to think that it's the first one).

Good Luck and let the developer know how it works out for you! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reactions: bbolton_98
Does this build of LineageOS work on the SCH-I535 with Android 4.4.x, or only for 4.3 and lower?
This can only be used on the SCH-I535 devices that have Unlocked Bootloaders and a Custom Recovery installed.

If your on the Stock Android v4.4.x and your device isn't already Bootloader Unlocked with a Custom Recovery, then all you can use is a TW Based Firmware that's just a Customized Stock Firmware.

Sorry... :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reactions: singingandroid
Dec 21, 2017
This can only be used on the SCH-I535 devices that have Unlocked Bootloaders and a Custom Recovery installed.

If your on the Stock Android v4.4.x and your device isn't already Bootloader Unlocked with a Custom Recovery, then all you can use is a TW Based Firmware that's just a Customized Stock Firmware.

Sorry... :(

I'm in the planning stage to buy an S3. In order to run LineageOS, do I need an I535 with less than Android 4.3, or is 4.3 ok? I have read several full threads on the subject, but it's still not clear to me.

I'm in the planning stage to buy an S3. In order to run LineageOS, do I need an I535 with less than Android 4.3, or is 4.3 ok? I have read several full threads on the subject, but it's still not clear to me.
It can't be any higher than the firmware version "I535VRBMF1" (the first release of Android v4.1.2) that was released on 08-Jun-2013.

For you to get a better idea, take a look at the Chart image at the top of the OP on the following thread.

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3744627

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dec 21, 2017
It can't be any higher than the firmware version "I535VRBMF1" (the first release of Android v4.1.2) that was released on 08-Jun-2013.

For you to get a better idea, take a look at the Chart image at the top of the OP on the following thread.

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3744627

This is super helpful. I think I've located a phone with the correct firmware, but as a backup option, it looks to me by reading a couple threads including the one link you posted, that even if I get a phone with a later firmware than "I535VRBMF1" I could just use Odin to flash an older bootloader and firmware on the I535. Is this correct, or incorrect?

Last edited:
This is super helpful. I think I've located a phone with the correct firmware, but as a backup option, it looks to me by reading a couple threads including the one link you posted, that even if I get a phone with a later firmware than "I535VRBMF1" I could just use Odin to flash an older bootloader and firmware on the I535. Is this correct, or incorrect?
I believe that the MF1 wasn't always able to do this with a 75% +/- success rate. I didn't mention the MF1 because I didn't want you to get an MF1 device and end up in that 25% +/- group making me feel bad that I advised you on this.

Going for the MF1 isn't a horrible choice but, this is up to you... :thumbup:

Good Luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mjb32803

Apr 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
OnePlus 7T
I haven't seen anyone maintaining a custom kernel that has been kept up to date. The phone works so well with the stock lineage kernel, I'd be hesitant to tinker.

Thank for helping me keep my S3 running still my daily driver since preordered. Been on Octo for awhile but its no longer being updated, so I was worried I was going to have to find a new device. As my wife has gone thru 9 ( yes nine) devices since I got my bulletproof S3 . I just don't know what else is out there for a rooting tinkering old fart like me. Hopefully, its tired old bones can handle a few more flashes and wipes. Will get setup to flash this coming weekend and let you know how it goes. Before I forget , is there a kernel you suggest or is the included one good to play with. I teither a lot and slow down my CPU just abit for temp. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I haven't seen anyone maintaining a custom kernel that has been kept up to date. The phone works so well with the stock lineage kernel, I'd be hesitant to tinker.
I agree with you!

I can't remember the last time I had even thought about a Custom Kernel. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New home for the UNOFFICIAL builds of LineageOS 14.1 for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2vzw) (SCH-I535)

Transitioning from the Q&A sub-forum "Level of interest in maintaining UNOFFICIAL LineageOS 14.1 for d2vzw ??"

This ROM is built only from source pulled from the official LineageOS repositories. Nothing is changed by me. You get exactly what Lineage would make available if the phone was still "Officially" maintained.

The only difference is my build is signed with my private key, vice the official Lineage key.
    Since my build is signed with a different key, you MUST PERFORM A FACTORY RESET (which means WIPING DATA).

If you do not WIPE DATA, the flash will still complete, but when you try to run any apps, they will most likely crash.
    You cannot backup your applications and restore them after flashing, so you will need to reinstall all your apps from scratch. This behavior is not an issue with the ROM, but an Android security feature to protect your phone data.

If you choose to install a Google Applications suite (aka GApps), you MUST flash the ROM & GApps AT THE SAME TIME. Said a different way....

You CANNOT flash the ROM first, let it boot, set it up... and THEN go back and flash GApps. This requirement applies to any Official LineageOS ROM.

Builds will come out mid-month to capture Lineage updated and android security patches.

While I have verified flashing the build on my own phone, and the process should work for everyone else.... I STRONGLY recommend everyone do a FULL BACKUP before flashing the very first time.

This ROM is ONLY for the VERIZON Samsung Galaxy S3, so DO NOT flash it to other S3 variants.

The most current build is available from:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvw5lhept9jn7w2/lineage-14.1-20190307-UNOFFICIAL-d2vzw-install.zip?dl=0

SHA1: f1818ccdfc0af02dece8c9e1733a087ef4370fbf
    File: lineage-14.1-20190307-UNOFFICIAL-d2vzw-install.zip

Screenshot_20180413-231621.jpg

XDA:DevDB Information
    Unofficial LineageOS 14.1 for d2vzw, ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III

Contributors
    mjb32803
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2vzw) (SCH-I535)
    Based On: LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2 Nougat)

Version Information
    Stable Release Date: 2019-03-07

Created 2018-04-14
    Last Updated 2019-03-07
    New build available for download

Instructions in Post #1

We finally got Jan 5th, 2019 security patches.
    PLEASE READ: This build was NOT tested with any Gapps installed.

WHY: This is part of a broader experiment to see how frustrating it is to use Android, Google Free.
    I am using F-Droid with Yalp to install most of my preferred apps.
    The only Google apps I routinely used are Maps and Voice.
    Of course this means I will not be able to test my builds as thoroughly.
    I don't anticipate this to be too much of a risk, but you never know.

For everyone's benefit, It would be helpful if a couple of users could verify proper functionality with Gapps and post accordingly.

ps. My phone is working just fine.
    I do NOT have a cellular plan on this phone, so it is configured in Airplane Mode, with WiFi and Bluetooth ON.
    Tested GPS with OSMAND, Bluetooth, WiFi, Firefox, K9 Mail, external uSD storage.
    Up and running since yesterday so I was confident enough to post..
    New build available

Download instructions in Post #1
    June 2018 security patches are in this build
    Lineage removed some legacy code, so this build is about 1MB smaller than previous builds
    https://www.lineageoslog.com/14.1

Quick testing done: Flash OK, bluetooth, wifi, camera, google maps, netflix, amazon music
    My d2vzw has moved on to electronics heaven, so I will no longer be providing updated builds.
    I will leave the last builds in my dropbox until the end of the year.

I'm just curious as to any updated builds @mjb32803?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Unless asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Apple Macintosh.
    New Build for November

Happy Thanksgiving!
    This build brings the security patch level to Nov 5th.
    Download link updated in Post #1

Just to give everyone an idea of the changes over the past 3 weeks.... most likely d2vzw inherits almost all of these from the SGS3 i9300:
    PartsActivity: Prevent actionbar NPE
    apns: update RJIO APNs
    RJIO: Change Roaming protocal to IPV4V6.
    Release the wakelock before worker thread termination
    Allow intent shared subject or title to be mms subject
    Security string to 2018-11-05
    MediaExtractor: stop rendering when an error occurs
    Verify number of Map entries written to Parcel
    RESTRICT AUTOMERGE: Hide overlay windows when requesting media projection permission.
    Fix OOB access in Tremolo
    Check data length when parsing AVRCP vendor specific command responses
    AVRCP: unify Get{Element,Item}Attributes response.
    Check AVRCP data length when parsing inside avrc_ctrl_pars_vendor_rsp()
    sonivox: prevent rejection of good but large MIDI files
    sonivox: prevent infinite loop in OTA ringtones
    ZoneInfo: Exclude boundary tz transitions
    BACKPORT: Disable changing lock when device is not provisioned.
    Fix information disclosure in mediadrmserver
    Fix crash during cursor moving on BiDi text
    Checks the SMP length to fix OOB read
    Add packet length check in smp_proc_master_id
    DO NOT MERGE Fix OOB read before buffer length check
    Check packet length in bta_av_proc_meta_cmd
    Add missing AVRCP message length checks inside avrc_msg_cback
    Add packet length checks in mca_ccb_hdl_req
    DO NOT MERGE. Persistable Uri grants still require permissions.
    Always create grant structures when persistable.
    Optimise the hit test algorithm
    Fix a wrong check in rfc_parse_data
    Add support for search in DownloadManager.
    DO NOT MERGE. Extend SQLiteQueryBuilder for update and delete.
    Add bound check for rfc_parse_data
    Check remaining frame length in rfc_process_mx_message
    DO NOT MERGE. All untrusted selections must go through builder.
    Fix copy length calculation in sdp_copy_raw_data
    Test for error in handling getters changing element kind.
    2018-10-30 11:32 UTC (android_external_chromium-libpac)
    20 days ago
    DO NOT MERGE. Execute "strict" queries with extra parentheses.
    manifest: Track our own chromium-libpac
    Enable search for Downloads.
    manifest: Track our own external/v8
    Backport: Fix Object.entries/values with changing elements
    BACKPORT: Cherry-pick "begin cleanup of malloc porting layer"