Level of interest in maintaining UNOFFICIAL LineageOS 14.1 for d2vzw ??

Search This thread

mjb32803

Apr 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
OnePlus 7T
I've setup a build environment and started generating my own Unofficial LOS 14.1 rom for the d2vzw.
The ROM is unmodified , and is exactly what Lineage would normally be making available if the phone was still being maintained.

The only difference is that my build is signed with my private key, vice the Lineage key.
Since I use a different key, to flash, you will need to do a factory reset (wipe data).
But once you flash my build, you can dirty flash on top of it (I've already test this and it works for me.).

So far I've flashed my phone with 5 builds over the past 6 weeks, and have had no issues.
I took this task on mainly to keep the phone updated with security patches.
If I get enough feedback to make it worthwhile, I could make my build available for others to use.

I've setup a build environment and started generating my own Unofficial LOS 14.1 rom for the d2vzw...
Hello Again Stranger! :)

I'm almost done fixing my S3 (Micro Soldering is very tedious) and I would like to give your Unofficial release a try.

My opinion is that I believe that more members would like to see this continued development.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I DO NOT provide support via PM unless asked/requested by myself. PLEASE keep it in the threads where everyone can share.

mjb32803

Apr 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
OnePlus 7T
For the meantime, I'll try using Dropbox as the method of distribution.
If I start to see a lot of traffic, I may need to find an alternative.
Fair warning. While I have tested this process on my d2vzw probably a dozen+ times in the past 6 weeks, YMMV.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zp32e9p748awsz/lineage-14.1-20180319-UNOFFICIAL-d2vzw-install.zip?dl=0

I strongly recommend making a full backup before flashing.
Make sure you have the LATEST version (3.2.1-0) of TWRP installed, as that is what I used to test this process. https://dl.twrp.me/d2vzw/
You must do a factory reset (i.e. wipe data), which means reinstalling all your apps from scratch.
You must DISABLE ZIP verification in TWRP
This build is signed with my encrypted key (for security reasons), which (I am pretty sure) protects anyone from altering the files once it leaves my control.
It is NOT possible to "restore" your backed-up apps after flashing. This is due to the signing keys being different. Trust me on this, I tried.

You will need to flash the latest GAPPS after flashing the ROM (http://opengapps.org)
Root will NOT be available by default after you flash, so install SuperSU if you want root. I did this on my phone and it works fine.
It is possible other root methods will work, but I have only tested using SuperSU http://www.supersu.com/download

Assuming a good outcome with others, I will attempt to post an updated build at least once per month (for the foreseeable future)
I will test any new build on my phone for at least a few days before posting it.

Stealth111

May 20, 2009
Thanks a million for doing this! I was about ready to just try to use the i9300 rom for 15, and then cobble something together! I look forward to seeing how this goes!
Thanks Again!

If you would like @mjb32803, I can temporarily host the Firmware on my File Host Account as another alternative for accessing a copy of it until you get your account going on AFH.

Just a suggestion... :)

I haven't tried it yet and have been wrapping up my device repairs so I can test your development out. Just bouncing around on one updated development i had wrapped up a few days ago and another that I plan to release in a day or two.

Busy... Busy... Busy... LMAO! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I DO NOT provide support via PM unless asked/requested by myself. PLEASE keep it in the threads where everyone can share.

mjb32803

Apr 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
OnePlus 7T
If you would like @mjb32803, I can temporarily host the Firmware on my File Host Account as another alternative for accessing a copy of it until you get your account going on AFH.

Just a suggestion... :)

I haven't tried it yet and have been wrapping up my device repairs so I can test your development out. Just bouncing around on one updated development i had wrapped up a few days ago and another that I plan to release in a day or two.

Busy... Busy... Busy... LMAO! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks @Ibuprophen I appreciate the offer. I looked into AFH (which I've never used before), and see that the least expensive option is the $19.99 per year plan. I don't know how many people will take interest in this and start downloading, but if it stays in the "dozens", I don't think dropbox will take notice (hopefully). If they do, then I will definitely take you up on the offer :good:. Actually, if you want to mirror the files, maybe that would provide everyone more options. I'm going to read through dropbox TOS and see if I'm breaking the rules. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ibuprophen
Thanks @Ibuprophen I appreciate the offer. I looked into AFH (which I've never used before), and see that the least expensive option is the $19.99 per year plan. I don't know how many people will take interest in this and start downloading, but if it stays in the "dozens", I don't think dropbox will take notice (hopefully). If they do, then I will definitely take you up on the offer :good:. Actually, if you want to mirror the files, maybe that would provide everyone more options. I'm going to read through dropbox TOS and see if I'm breaking the rules. :rolleyes:
@mjb32803, I've never paid for AFH as a user or developer for uploading and downloading nor has anyone ever had an issue accessing the files that I upload either.

I first created the free account and over time i began to require a place to upload my developments as well as various other files. So I submitted the request to AFH for a developers account and a day or two later was approved. No cost required.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:

J-Lindo

Jul 4, 2016
Moto G5 Plus
Samsung Galaxy S9+

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180404-115839.png
    Screenshot_20180404-115839.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 61
Good to hear a success story. Next build will probably be mid April to catch the next set of security patches.
I'm just wondering if there is anything specific that you're looking for feedback on (any specific feature(s), function(s), etc...)?

Thanks a bunch! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

exdiei

Mar 4, 2014
Awesome. I will try in a few days and report back. THanks.

Update: factory reset my phone after CM got stuck on a bootloop.
Factory reset it, and installed your latest build, and it wonders. Everything works perfect so far.
I will be using it as a hotspot in a few months.

Last edited:

Corpsecrank

Aug 21, 2013
I actually have 2 S3 models one of them is the verizon model d2vzw/d2lte? the other is a metropcs one I think d2mtr?. Anyhow the verizon one is still kinda working outside of the issues with sms/mms because of the sim but it could make calls and access data if I remember right. I wanted to flash the phone with something decent so I could give it to a friend and I think this might work. He has the sim it needs in his current phone I think. Where can I get a copy of this? I think I still have the old unsigned version of it which as I gather is not a good idea to use.

The other S3 I have sitting here I still want to clean up and get working properly again if I can but I still haven't decided what to use for it. I thought about stock or some barebones style rom for it. Any suggestions?

mjb32803

Apr 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
OnePlus 7T
I actually have 2 S3 models one of them is the verizon model d2vzw/d2lte? the other is a metropcs one I think d2mtr?. Anyhow the verizon one is still kinda working outside of the issues with sms/mms because of the sim but it could make calls and access data if I remember right. I wanted to flash the phone with something decent so I could give it to a friend and I think this might work. He has the sim it needs in his current phone I think. Where can I get a copy of this? I think I still have the old unsigned version of it which as I gather is not a good idea to use.

The other S3 I have sitting here I still want to clean up and get working properly again if I can but I still haven't decided what to use for it. I thought about stock or some barebones style rom for it. Any suggestions?

1st page, post #9, there is a link to Dropbox. That is the most recent build (March 31st) I have released through today. Click on the link to start downloading.

mjb32803

Apr 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
OnePlus 7T
I'm just wondering if there is anything specific that you're looking for feedback on (any specific feature(s), function(s), etc...)?

Thanks a bunch! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keep in mind I am just building what's in the LOS Repo, and I don't change anything. When I sync and build, there is always the chance that I grab some buggy code and don't realize it. Since I run the build before posting, I should catch something significant, but there is always a possibility I miss something. So, if you notice something significant, e.g. Doesn't flash, Boot looping, Wifi/LTE doesn't work, Excessive number of apps crashing, etc. Then it would be good for me to know so I can pull that build and try again.

mjb32803

Apr 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
OnePlus 7T
New Build with April 5th Security Patches

I wouldn't normally post a build the same day I built it, but I've been heavily using my d2vzw all day, and I've not had one issue with it... so I think it is fairly safe to post the new build. As the title says, this one incorporated the April 5th security patches.

Note that this build does NOT have any of Lineage's "April Fools" pranks incorporated; so no coin mining apk or unauthorized rom warning. Personally, I got both of these on my Nexus 6, and they really freaked me out, and I wasted about an hour of my time googling what it all meant, and then reflashing my phone back to the previous build.

So here is the link. I wiped Dalvik & Cache, then flashed on top of the previous unofficial build using TWRP 3.2.1-0.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlt8vod2uvmg1df/lineage-14.1-20180413-UNOFFICIAL-d2vzw-install.zip?dl=0

sha1: e583376ad2d8f838d101b33050dc1b4f1de330d7 for lineage-14.1-20180413-UNOFFICIAL-d2vzw-install.zip

Last edited:

mjb32803

Apr 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
OnePlus 7T
Activity moving to a new thread

The subject matter has changes, and a more suitable thread title and location has been established.
If you are interested in following more information about the Unofficial LineageOS 14.1 ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, then please goto the following new thread.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III --->
Verizon Galaxy S III Android Development --->
[ROM] [Unofficial] [LineageOS 14.1] [Verizon] [d2vzz] [SCH-I535]

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3-verizon/development/rom-t3777695

V0idst4r

Jun 13, 2016
Any interest in building for the US Cellular variant? Last time I tried it broke cellular and sound

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've setup a build environment and started generating my own Unofficial LOS 14.1 rom for the d2vzw.
    The ROM is unmodified , and is exactly what Lineage would normally be making available if the phone was still being maintained.

The only difference is that my build is signed with my private key, vice the Lineage key.
    Since I use a different key, to flash, you will need to do a factory reset (wipe data).
    But once you flash my build, you can dirty flash on top of it (I've already test this and it works for me.).

So far I've flashed my phone with 5 builds over the past 6 weeks, and have had no issues.
    I took this task on mainly to keep the phone updated with security patches.
    If I get enough feedback to make it worthwhile, I could make my build available for others to use.
    For the meantime, I'll try using Dropbox as the method of distribution.
    If I start to see a lot of traffic, I may need to find an alternative.
    Fair warning. While I have tested this process on my d2vzw probably a dozen+ times in the past 6 weeks, YMMV.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zp32e9p748awsz/lineage-14.1-20180319-UNOFFICIAL-d2vzw-install.zip?dl=0

I strongly recommend making a full backup before flashing.
    Make sure you have the LATEST version (3.2.1-0) of TWRP installed, as that is what I used to test this process. https://dl.twrp.me/d2vzw/
    You must do a factory reset (i.e. wipe data), which means reinstalling all your apps from scratch.
    You must DISABLE ZIP verification in TWRP
    This build is signed with my encrypted key (for security reasons), which (I am pretty sure) protects anyone from altering the files once it leaves my control.
    It is NOT possible to "restore" your backed-up apps after flashing. This is due to the signing keys being different. Trust me on this, I tried.

You will need to flash the latest GAPPS after flashing the ROM (http://opengapps.org)
    Root will NOT be available by default after you flash, so install SuperSU if you want root. I did this on my phone and it works fine.
    It is possible other root methods will work, but I have only tested using SuperSU http://www.supersu.com/download

Assuming a good outcome with others, I will attempt to post an updated build at least once per month (for the foreseeable future)
    I will test any new build on my phone for at least a few days before posting it.
    New Unofficial LOS 14.1 build. I've been running it for a few days and looks good.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/71ji7lcpouu0e86/lineage-14.1-20180331-UNOFFICIAL-d2vzw-install.zip?dl=0
    Activity moving to a new thread

The subject matter has changes, and a more suitable thread title and location has been established.
    If you are interested in following more information about the Unofficial LineageOS 14.1 ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, then please goto the following new thread.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III --->
    Verizon Galaxy S III Android Development --->
    [ROM] [Unofficial] [LineageOS 14.1] [Verizon] [d2vzz] [SCH-I535]

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3-verizon/development/rom-t3777695
    New Build with April 5th Security Patches

I wouldn't normally post a build the same day I built it, but I've been heavily using my d2vzw all day, and I've not had one issue with it... so I think it is fairly safe to post the new build. As the title says, this one incorporated the April 5th security patches.

Note that this build does NOT have any of Lineage's "April Fools" pranks incorporated; so no coin mining apk or unauthorized rom warning. Personally, I got both of these on my Nexus 6, and they really freaked me out, and I wasted about an hour of my time googling what it all meant, and then reflashing my phone back to the previous build.

So here is the link. I wiped Dalvik & Cache, then flashed on top of the previous unofficial build using TWRP 3.2.1-0.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlt8vod2uvmg1df/lineage-14.1-20180413-UNOFFICIAL-d2vzw-install.zip?dl=0

sha1: e583376ad2d8f838d101b33050dc1b4f1de330d7 for lineage-14.1-20180413-UNOFFICIAL-d2vzw-install.zip