[ROM][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 Nightlies for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2vzw)

Search This thread

phonetool

Apr 18, 2012
Has anyone had an issue where the phone will randomly not be able to connect to any cell service at all? It has happened to me twice this past week, the only thing to fix it seems to be a factory reset and clean install. But even then, after a few days service drops again.

For me, my LTE switched over to 3g, and then it dropped to 1x. After rebooting, I can't connect to Verizon at all. Not sure if my antenna is going bad or what. Anyone have this issue? Happened to me on an old CM14.1 nightly, and now the LineageOS 6/19 unofficial invisblek.
This has happened to me three different times over the past year or so. First LTE goes out and you're on 3G for a day or so, then finally it's just 1x data but the phone still works. Then the phone drops out and 'no service' appears. During the week of this decline, I try rebooting (of course), airplane mode, fiddling with the network settings, wiping dalvic, and other minor things. I've never tried a full on wipe and re-install.

The only way out of it for me has been to go to Verizon and get a new sim card. It's free, but does cost you the time for the store visit.
If you go to a Verizon dealer they'll charge you $10.

This has happened to me three different times over the past year or so. First LTE goes out and you're on 3G for a day or so, then finally it's just 1x data but the phone still works. Then the phone drops out and 'no service' appears. During the week of this decline, I try rebooting (of course), airplane mode, fiddling with the network settings, wiping dalvic, and other minor things. I've never tried a full on wipe and re-install. The only way out of it for me has been to go to Verizon and get a new sim card. It's free, but does cost you the time for the store visit. If you go to a Verizon dealer they'll charge you $10.
Wowah!

I have Net10 (using the BYOP Program for Verizon Devices) and used to have a similar issue but, more frequent and primarily no MMS/Internet Data at all, i only was able to make Calls and use SMS.

All i did was open a Net10 Chat Session with Support and they just reset my SIM information on the Verizon system (of course it was attached to my IMEI) and... WHAM! my 4G LTE was working like a charm. All was well and peaceful... LMAO!

The whole chat session took around 3 minutes +/- and I kid you not. This was needed around 1-2 times per month and lasted about a year before their system updates seemed to have solved this issue and I haven't had to contact them for about 6 or so months now.

I've spoken to other Verizon users who had a similar/same experience with Verizon directly and the Verizon company always performed (and had the customer perform too) the same steps and always resulted in a new SIM.

I'm pretty happy (though their not perfect) with Net10 and using the Verizon towers. I don't have to deal with Verizon at all. It costs me $40/mo with 5 GB/mo of data (then like 2G after) with unlimited everything else. I rarely use up the 5GB because i primarily use WiFi anyway.

***Please Note: As always, I welcome any member to help with further valuable information/clarification for any of my posts.

Sent via Communicator [D2VZW] from the Bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise...

Reactions: phonetool

phonetool

Apr 18, 2012
Sorry, but my story left the impression that phone and message service stays dead. While a period of blackout occurs, it does recover. Data stays off though.

I always wondered if the "failure" of my sim has been related to flashing nightlies or maybe my big 7Ah battery that sits over it.

Sounds like it's really a Verizon problem? I'm going to try the service chat and sim reset next time.

Reactions: Ibuprophen

phonetool

Apr 18, 2012
I've been flashing the nightlies as they come out on the LOS site with no problems and developed a confidence that pushed me away from making frequent backups.

Lo and behold the latest version (6/26) gave the phone fits of bootloops like I remember from the old OG Droid days. Without a recent backup to easily drop back to, I allowed the looping to continue. I figured it was incrementally getting further each time through the app setup required after a dalvic wipe. Sure enough, after several hours it finally booted all the way.

Running well this morning. No problems yet discovered.

Not sure if anyone will have the same experience I had, but just a reminder to keep a recent backup in case you don't have the hours to spend watching your phone loop.

GeTex

Aug 28, 2013
Fallon, NV
i am having similar issues with the radio, with a VZW sim keeps cycling the radio and service bugs out every time data is activated. Occurs on every lineage based 7 rom, not occuring on android 6.0. Going back it seems

raisins

Jun 23, 2011
This has happened to me three different times over the past year or so. First LTE goes out and you're on 3G for a day or so, then finally it's just 1x data but the phone still works. Then the phone drops out and 'no service' appears. During the week of this decline, I try rebooting (of course), airplane mode, fiddling with the network settings, wiping dalvic, and other minor things. I've never tried a full on wipe and re-install.

The only way out of it for me has been to go to Verizon and get a new sim card. It's free, but does cost you the time for the store visit.
If you go to a Verizon dealer they'll charge you $10.

Hmm... I tried getting a new SIM when this was happening and it didn't fix my issue. The only thing that fixed my issue was factory resetting and flashing a new ROM. I flashed a newer 14.1 nightly, and I had data/cell service back, but after a few days, the same issue happened.

Now i'm on a android M ROM for over a week and haven't had the issue. Not sure if it's an android N issue or what. Just weird because the first time the issue happened to me I was on N for like 6 months with no issue

J-Lindo

Jul 4, 2016
Moto G5 Plus
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Hey, fellas!

You might remember a while back I had issues with Gmail and Google's Wallpapers app. Gmail would never load, nor would the rotating wallpapers (there may have been some other small issues I can't remember). And nothing I tried would make either work... Until today. What did I do to make my problems go away?

I flashed the darn MF1 bootstack/NE1 modem combo in the OP. I had been riding on the MF1 modem the whole time, never realizing that I hadn't updated the stupid thing. Now that I've done that, everything works PERFECTLY. So now I'm over here kicking myself for overlooking something so obvious :silly: But hey, lesson learned. Thanks to everyone who tried to help, and I hope my solution ends up helping someone else!

PS: I've also mentioned before about not recording video in 1080p and Snapchat not sending videos properly. Those issues remain unchanged, though they're a small price to pay for this otherwise fantastic ROM.

Last edited:

phonetool

Apr 18, 2012
M
Sorry, but my story left the impression that phone and message service stays dead. While a period of blackout occurs, it does recover. Data stays off though.

I always wondered if the "failure" of my sim has been related to flashing nightlies or maybe my big 7Ah battery that sits over it.

Sounds like it's really a Verizon problem? I'm going to try the service chat and sim reset next time.

So, here we are again. LTE dropped off a couple days ago, then down to 1x last night. Still had phone then, but that's gone today.
I chatted with Verizon via their app on wifi, but they said there is no reset they could perform that would reach the device because it showed offline. They did do the reset anyway, to no result.
I went to the Verizon store for a new sim, but that didn't work either.
Following my normal method I can try waiting for the phone signal to return (it has in the past), or I could try other things... like flashing the radio again (meh) or a full wipe and rebuild (ugh!).

The Verizon people were funny. "You're running 7.1.2 on an S3??"
You betcha!

Edit:
Flashing the me1 package from the first post didn't change anything.
I popped the new sim into the old Gnex and we'll see how that goes for the next few days.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if there's any known issues reported to @invisiblek or @javelinanddart but, the last release of the LineageOS for the d2vzw doesn't seem right to me.

It looses root fairly quickly but, I've got a few things to try out before making a final statement as to what's going on (with logs and such to provide).

Please let me know if there's anything I should be aware of in case my attempts are a futile one.

Thank you very much!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I Am The Egg Man,
They Are The Egg Men.
I Am The Walrus!
Coo Coo Cachoo!

I DO NOT PROVIDE SUPPORT VIA PM UNLESS ASKED/REQUESTED BY MYSELF.
PLEASE KEEP IT IN THE THREADS WHERE EVERYONE CAN SHARE

blueman2

Oct 6, 2012
I just installed last night on my old S3, and this works wonderfully!!! Phone still feels very fast and modern. I did have to download the SU file for root, but that was the only part of the process that was unusual. I am SUPER happy!! Thanks so much to the authors!!!!!

I just installed last night on my old S3, and this works wonderfully!!! Phone still feels very fast and modern. I did have to download the SU file for root, but that was the only part of the process that was unusual. I am SUPER happy!! Thanks so much to the authors!!!!!
That's great to see! :thumbup:

I'm probably looking at this too much but, I'm just wondering what you meant by downloading the SU file? :what:

Was it the Lineage SU, SuperSU, etc...? :confused:

This is purely out of curiosity. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I Am The Egg Man,
They Are The Egg Men.
I Am The Walrus!
Coo Coo Cachoo!

I DO NOT PROVIDE SUPPORT VIA PM UNLESS ASKED/REQUESTED BY MYSELF.
PLEASE KEEP IT IN THE THREADS WHERE EVERYONE CAN SHARE

Reactions: AyUaxe

blueman2

Oct 6, 2012
That's great to see! :thumbup:

I'm probably looking at this too much but, I'm just wondering what you meant by downloading the SU file? :what:
Was it the Lineage SU, SuperSU, etc...? :confused:
This is purely out of curiosity. :D

I did not realize that the ROM came un-rooted, so at first did not download the su.zip file from the LineageOS site. I now have that installed and root is working fine.
On my second day using this ROM and really loving it. Rock solid! I am amazed to still see people supporting the old S3!!

Last edited:

AyUaxe

Oct 14, 2010
The little D2 that could keeps thinking she can and keeps chugging along. I stayed on M for a long time b/c i didnt want to lose root with each flash. finally figured out Magisk and it's all good. rock steady, clocking 1.89 ghz with lonely scatter's 3-26-17 kernel!
Mega THANKS to all the maintainers and devs!

Reactions: Keithaf1

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
will this work in a locked bootloader??
Nope. You can't use any kind of custom recovery or true custom ROMs such as CM, LOS, AOSP, etc... with a locked bootloader.
You can only use something like Safestrap recovery with modified stock Touchwiz(TW) ROMs, or flash a modified stock ROM tar.md5 via Odin or push a modified system.img via adb/adb shell.

DO NOT CONTACT ME VIA PM TO RECEIVE HELP, YOU WILL BE IGNORED. KEEP IT IN THE THREADS WHERE EVERYONE CAN SHARE

Reactions: bigjuicypussy22

KazuDante

Sep 6, 2015
Port-Au-Prince
just wanted to know if the s3 vzw on 4.3 bootloader can be unlocked? from what im seeing in many other threads is that it cannot be unlocked , but looking at this thread i see that its vzw as well LineageOS so i assumed maybe it can be unlock. Can someone clarify this for me please. Thank You.

phonetool

Apr 18, 2012
just wanted to know if the s3 vzw on 4.3 bootloader can be unlocked? from what im seeing in many other threads is that it cannot be unlocked , but looking at this thread i see that its vzw as well LineageOS so i assumed maybe it can be unlock. Can someone clarify this for me please. Thank You.

I thought the magic threshold beyond which the bootloader got locked was OTA 4.4.2, so that would mean your 4.3 is still unlocked.
The install instructions at the old cyanogenmod wiki used to walk you through the whole thing. Not sure where that info is now...

Roger W

Sep 14, 2012
Redmond, WA
Hi, I'm just coming back to this device after last flashing an unofficial in January. I updated TWRP to latest, and then did a factory reset, and flashed the latest nightly and gapps pico (all in one session). Now during the first-time setup process, the setup wizard crashes and keep going back to the beginning. I am on wifi for this part and got past Google account setup. Any ideas why or how to get around it? I saw a tip posted about updating permissions in Settings manually, but it hasn't requested any permissions so there's nothing shown for me to add.

thanks!

AyUaxe

Oct 14, 2010
Setup wizard crash

Hi, I'm just coming back to this device after last flashing an unofficial in January. I updated TWRP to latest, and then did a factory reset, and flashed the latest nightly and gapps pico (all in one session). Now during the first-time setup process, the setup wizard crashes and keep going back to the beginning. I am on wifi for this part and got past Google account setup. Any ideas why or how to get around it? I saw a tip posted about updating permissions in Settings manually, but it hasn't requested any permissions so there's nothing shown for me to add.

thanks!
I had that problem a short while ago. Turned out to be a gapps problem. I always preferred Delta's but they don't seen to play nice with this rom. Try downloading from open gapps, as linked in op. Worked for me. If you haven't already, try out lonely skatter's kernel. Great options to get lots more performance out of the lil d2 that could.

Reactions: Roger W

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 7.1 (Nougat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Download Links

LineageOS:
    Downloads: https://download.lineageos.org/d2vzw

Google apps addon:
    OpenGapps: http://opengapps.org/ (you'll want a zip for the ARM platform, Android version 7.1)
    HEADS UP: Be sure you flash the gapps package with your rom. If you boot your rom, then go back and try to flash gapps after the fact, you're gonna have a bad time.

Firmware:
    Your best bet is to be on the MF1 bootstack/NE1 modem combo. Here's a flashable zip (this only needs to be done once): http://www.invisiblek.org/firmware/d2/d2vzw_MF1_firmware_NE1_modem.zip

Misc Links

Changelog:
    Link: https://download.lineageos.org/d2vzw/changes/

Learn to build yourself:
    Link: https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/d2vzw/build

The LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 Nightlies for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2vzw), ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III

Contributors
    invisiblek
    Source Code: http://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat

Version Information

Created 2016-12-05
    Last Updated 2016-12-05
    Just an FYI regarding a link that's titled

"List of devices getting official LineageOS Roms"

http://www.lineageosrom.com/2016/12/list-of-devices-getting-official.html

Just spreading the word that the d2vzw is on the list. I'm hoping that it remains there for when they release the ROMs.

YAY!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Labs

This is 100% NOT legit. This guy is not affiliated with us at all and is completely trying to mislead people for whatever reason. I HIGHLY recommend not downloading anything off that website.
    Anyone know our future status here? Will we continue to be supported by LineageOS, or is this the end of the road?

After doing some digging, I found this branch on github.. Hopefully this means we will continue to be supported

https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_samsung_d2vzw

Nah, looks like we are good! :) There are a few people building UNOFFICIALS for us right now, with OFFICIALS to follow when they get build servers and everything else sorted out. If you want to try it, here is a good working build: http://download.invisiblek.org/roms/lineage-14.1/d2vzw/lineage-14.1-20170106-UNOFFICIAL-d2vzw.zip
    I have been running it all day with no issues, pretty much same as last CM builds were. However ***NOTE***, you MUST wipe clean before you flash this, you cannot dirty flash or upgrade this from Cm 14.1 builds due to the fact that this build does not use "test keys" as the OFFICIAL Cm14.1 builds did before shutdown..

Stealth111
    How can I install it on 4.4.2 Verizon device? :(

No Soup for you ;)
    I just wanted to let you all know that I have been doing some much needed housecleaning on my PC and I just uploaded, to my File Host Account, a ton of (untouched) CyanogenMod releases for archival purposes that date back to CM10 (and even earlier in some cases) for the d2vzw, d2lte, jfltevzw and jfltexxx.

If anyone is interested in any/all of them, they can go to the following link(s):

D2VZW

D2LTE

JFLTEVZW

JFLTEXXX

Though, I'm pretty confident that I uploaded all of what I have, i plan to upload any additional ones if i come across any more.

ENJOY!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app