[App]Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition Camera

Search This thread

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
How does this compare to the camera on Synergy ROM? Photo Sphere was cool but at that point it still looked like it needed some work, just wondering if this version improved on it any.

I can't speak on how it compares to Synergy, been using Beans rom, it seems like a fairly cool AOSP camera. There are some visual glitches here and there but that's to be expected with something like this. I like it overall cuz its minimalistic but I prefer the TW camera. Camera quality is comparable if not the same so there's no performance hit there.

FYI to anyone (in the future) who notices audio clipping on recorded video, you need to up your voltages to a min of 1150 across the board. My nominal cpu is susceptible to audio clipping on voltages

Edit: I think I have to add that the voltages may need to be set prior to recording video. I'll do some more testing tonight but I think it keeps clipping in the audio if you record <1150mv then change voltages AFTER and watch a video which contains audio clipping. Note, this is only for those users who get audio clipping in other audio apps (notifications, calls, podcasts) when voltages are set below 1150mv.

Last edited:

Dearborn1977

Oct 21, 2010
I personally tried this on Jellybam (based on CM, AOKP, Rootbox, etc.) and it happened. Another user tried on AOKP. It might be something to do with coding.

sent from my GS3 from the infected army

Same issue here on Jellybam, then I flashed a new kernel and camera fc'd whenever I tried to start it. Photosphere is a neat party trick but I'll stick with the "stock" camera on Jellybam.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Bug report! FFC video is immensely buggy. Causes immediate freezing. Saw this bug reported on Android Central.
@TokedUp,

Idk if it is possible since the Google Play Editions do not let you save to sdcard either. It's not supported on the GPe S4.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Addiso

Jul 3, 2012
San Bernardino
Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 Series
Bug report! FFC video is immensely buggy. Causes immediate freezing. Saw this bug reported on Android Central.
@TokedUp,

Idk if it is possible since the Google Play Editions do not let you save to sdcard either. It's not supported on the GPe S4.

Hmm ffc works fine for me.

Reactions: SlimSnoopOS

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
There's an option in settings for storage. All there is, is an on-off toggle. Not sure what it does though...

Thebe@r'$ G@L@XY

That's for geolocation.

Yeah it works, everything works fine but it can also depends maybe on rom and kernel.?

Could be. I'm on Beans and KT kernel. I think everything else worked for me as far as shooting modes and the back camera.

jsdecker10

Jul 9, 2012
The good ol Deep South
Well, here's my results with this S4 camera.... I'm on a Verizon S3 (SCH-I535), rooted & running LiquidROM 2.7 Official & the latest KT747 Kernel...minor settings tweaks, but no under/overvolting. If anything, I actually have the cpu underclocked to min:189mhz & max:1242 on gov:interactive and sched:row. Nothing major at all...just lowered those for battery life and my phone runs buttery smooth and plenty fast for me right now..

Everything seems to work just fine, with the exception of "Sphere". When I click on Sphere, the Camera app force closes, but I can start the camera app back up and I'm still able to connect to the camera and snap pictures without rebooting. Sphere doesn't cause that "can't connect to camera" message to pop up, it just force closes the whole app...simple fix: reload the program and dont click on sphere. lol There are just not many settings to fool with in the camera app. I use the packaged camera app that comes with liquid's 2.7 official rom and it has wayyyyyyyy more options, such as save to internal or external sd card, many more scenes to choose from, more resolutions to pick from, etc etc. Anyhow, I removed this S4 camera and reinstalled the one that came with Liquid 2.7 official.

Reactions: PsiPhiDan

RBarnett09

May 16, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Installed on LiquidSmooth v2.7.
First time swapping from back camera to the front camera, my phone rebooted. Opened it back up and it was still in front camera... changed it back to the back camera and am no longer experiencing reboots. Working nicely.
Thank you for sharing this!!

EDIT: Also just took a picture and then deleted it. When it went back to the camera, the picture I just took remained on screen. Had to close it and reopen it.
It has it's bugs, but still a great new camera app.
I recommend anyone to backup their current camera with Titanium Backup, just in case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

nmask

Jan 5, 2013
Backuped system stock camera and freezed with TB. Installed this one.

On S3 AOSP temasek ROM works fine. front/back camera is ok.
3D sphere crashes app. What can be a problem

tompec

Oct 30, 2009
FNO
Backuped system stock camera and freezed with TB. Installed this one.

On S3 AOSP temasek ROM works fine. front/back camera is ok.
3D sphere crashes app. What can be a problem

Working on Arc, UHD ROM 4.0 RC1, KTG kernel. Stock camera is working too.

Edit: photosphere is not present...

Last edited:

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Hey @Addiso, when you said you notice no issues with the FFC and video recording, how did you get into recording mode?

Did you:

1) change from photo to video first, then switch from back to FFC camera

or

2) from the camera app choose FFC first then switch from photo to video?

Could you try both ways for me? I think I noticed that the issue is only when switching to FFC then switching to video mode starting from the camera side. Method #1 works every time but method #2, not so much. There may be slight graphical glitch when you do the second method once. Try the second method a two or three times and I think you'll replicate this.

No biggie, idk who records with the FFC regularly when the back camera is so more capable.

Edit: to clarify, method #1 causes no issues but method #2 causes freezing.

Reactions: Addiso

RBarnett09

May 16, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Sphere and recording were both working for me on LiquidSmooth v2.7
This morning it "couldn't connect to camera" so I had to reinstall the original camera.

Last edited:

s197

Jun 28, 2010
Doesn't seem to play nice with the stock TW camera. For instance, if you use the "best shot" feature on stock TW, it will hang on saving picture. You need to hit the home screen to exit the app.

Casper34

So after a few hours of letting it settle in and all, I took a few pics and the camera froze while saving them. They did not save as a reboot was needed to unfreeze the phone. I'm switching back to the camera that came with pacman rom.

Sent from my Ktweaked PACmaned SGS3!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For anyone that wants to grab the Samsung Galaxy S4 camera (aosp version) that has just dropped I will post the link.
    For Tw install like any normal apk.
    For aosp uninstall stock camera first then install apk.
    Gallery is about the same as the original 4.2.2 gallery but the only difference comes within the camera as screenshots posted below.
    udybereb.jpg

gyva4e9a.jpg

aze3a5yz.jpg

Everything is working nicely with no hiccups and works with tw roms as well
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8XcczeFW1zUNzMzTGNOYUNRcGc/preview
    Alternative link:
    http://db.tt/hH6CfzVf

I would love to see this camera developed a bit more. Like adding a timer.

While in the Camera app, Press the Settings icon, then tap it again. It's the second option from the left. There is not anoption for the Camcorder though.
    For people who are running AOSP ROMs, you're going to have to uninstall the current camera and then install the stock Google camera for it to work.

sent from my GS3 from the infected army
    Does it overwrite the stock s3 camera?

Thebe@r'$ G@L@XY

No you'll just have two cameras :good:

Does this use closed source samsung drivers like the touchwize camera or is virtually the same as AOSP(outside of the slight difference in ui)??
    In other words should I expect better results with this? :confused: