Thanks Meter: 58

By techno-np, Senior Member on 19th March 2014, 07:42 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th June 2018, 04:34 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencetj

Replying to an old post but I hope you will see this!

I recently swapped the 64GB card in my S3 (9305 running RevolutionRemix ROM) for a Sandisk 128GB card. It appears to work OK, the phone sees 119GB of space on the card and I have already filled more than 64GB so the extra capacity is there, but lately I have noticed the phone lags a lot and has also been crashing quite frequently which it didn't before. I am not sure of the exact timing because you never notice the pattern until it has been happening for a while, but I suspect the problems started around the time I put the 128GB card in. I don't remember formatting the card, it probably came already formatted so I just used it as it was. I guess I could backup all the contents and try formatting it in the phone to see if that makes any difference.

Have you noticed any issues since using the 128GB card? Does a bigger SD card require more internal memory or processing power to use it?

Is your RR version 7.x (Nougat)? I'm actually trying to re-purpose one of my S3s with a 128 GB microSD but am using an old Cyanogemod 10.2 build because it's much snappier than any of the modern ones. Will see how it accepts the microSD over the next few days.

14th June 2018, 01:44 PM |#32  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarcac

Is your RR version 7.x (Nougat)? I'm actually trying to re-purpose one of my S3s with a 128 GB microSD but am using an old Cyanogemod 10.2 build because it's much snappier than any of the modern ones. Will see how it accepts the microSD over the next few days.

Yes, Android 7.1.2, RR v5.8.3-20170716. Version numbers are rather confusing as there are multiple "versions" of v5.8.3 but I went through several builds up until that point and experienced quite frequent reboots. That build seemed stable so I stuck with it, although on that thread I believe there was a later build that is supposed to be even better. I might try at some point if I have time and I am feeling brave! The reason I took the leap to a custom ROM in the first place was because the Samsung one was such an old version of Android I was starting to find some apps were not supported. I find RR runs really well, probably collected too much crap now but in the beginning it was really fast. I have the S3 LTE with 2GB RAM which might help, I think the non-LTE has 1GB?

No idea if it is related to the issues above but a few days ago my phone went nuts. It rebooted again (logs reported the same "out of memory" kernel panic error) but after that the notification area was broken. No app notifications were displayed and I could not expand the notification area. When I tried to access Developer Options in the settings it said my user did not have access. Some other people have reported the same issue recently, on completely different phones. Apparently the user permissions gets screwed up and it thinks you are using a guest account. The only fix that worked for me was to restore a nandroid from a few weeks before. Oddly, the phone seems less laggy than before and so far no reboots but it has only been a few days, time will tell!
14th June 2018, 05:37 PM |#33  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Edit: ignore; turns out the SD card was a fake; reported 128 gb but only held 8 GB. After some research, these manufacturers are getting smart about selling fakes, implanting chips that make them SEEM like they have more capacity than they do.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)