By zmore, Senior Member on 20th July 2012, 11:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st July 2012, 06:34 PM |#21  
Flag Mechanicsburg
Thanks Meter: 409

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfin54

I just purchased the 2A wall charger from Monoprice ($8). It has a total of 4 usb ports, with one being 2A.

So far, I can say that the 2A port does seem to charge faster than the stock charger.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

So one is 2A? It's not 4 x .5A?

21st July 2012, 07:58 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 96

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoi

So one is 2A?

Correct
The Following User Says Thank You to Orbiting234 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Orbiting234 Ad-Free
21st July 2012, 08:55 PM |#23  
Flag West Palm Beach
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoi

So one is 2A? It's not 4 x .5A?

Orbiting234 is correct. There is a dedicated 2A port.

I really don't have a way of quantifying the speed increase in charging, but it took me just over an hour to go from 20% to 100%.
So clearly quicker than the stock charger.
Plus you have 3 other ports to do whatever you want with.
Not bad for $8.
22nd July 2012, 07:46 AM |#24  
Flag Boulder, CO
Thanks Meter: 7

More
After doing brief testing with my old HTC Evo with a few 2a chargers and modded USB cables, I concluded that the evo would not charge faster than 1a (as there was literally no difference in charge time between a 1A and 2A charger).

I really like these Nokia branded chargers and ended up buying 4 or 5 over the last 2 years. Worked perfectly with my old EVO and its rated at 1.2a @ 5v, plus it has a long cable, comes with a nice velcro cable tie attached (perfect for traveling), and has a 200ma overhead to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. And only $5 shipped
http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Efficien...ro+usb+charger

No idea if the GSIII will charge faster than a full 1a though - if it does I might need to buy some new chargers

EDIT:
Anyone with a 2a charger feel up to doing a comparison test? How long it takes the S3 to charge from 50% to 100% with each respective charger?
The Following User Says Thank You to investinwaffles For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift investinwaffles Ad-Free
22nd July 2012, 07:38 PM |#25  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 938

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by investinwaffles

Anyone with a 2a charger feel up to doing a comparison test? How long it takes the S3 to charge from 50% to 100% with each respective charger?

Thanks - I plan to do some testing when my 2amp charger gets here on Tuesday, but I'll be focusing on charging while the screen is on, since that's the main thing slowing it down. Hopefully the extra juice from 2a gets divided between the display and battery, instead of getting limited to 1a on the way in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
23rd July 2012, 06:37 PM |#26  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 143

Donate to Me
More
I believe I saw an article on androidcentral giving all kinds of heaping gobbing praise on the Blackberry Playbook charger. It is now called the Blackberry Premium Charger and is rated at 5v/1.8 amps. It definitely charges faster than anything I have ever used before. Did a quick search and these guys have them on closeout for $11.

http://www.blackberrysource.com/stor...charger-5v.htm
23rd July 2012, 07:33 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I have read that the faster you charge it the worse it is for your battery. And the slower you charge it (sub from laptop) the better it is for your battery in the long term.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium
23rd July 2012, 07:54 PM |#28  
Flag Irving, TX
Thanks Meter: 139

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalatsky

I have read that the faster you charge it the worse it is for your battery. And the slower you charge it (sub from laptop) the better it is for your battery in the long term.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

That is correct. Soft versus hard charging.
25th July 2012, 07:54 PM |#29  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 938

More
UPDATE: I've tested and verified that a 2amp charger isn't any faster than 1amp
25th July 2012, 08:05 PM |#30  
Flag Bay Area, CA
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmore

UPDATE: I've tested and verified that a 2amp charger isn't any faster than 1amp

yes, the phone will only pull as much as it needs, which should be 700mA. i have an HP touchpad and it comes with a 2A USB charger. i tested this a long time ago with my galaxy s2 and with my s3. they charge just as fast as the 700mA charger that samsugn provides.
25th July 2012, 08:08 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
If you run siyah kernal there is an option in tweaks to adjust the max charge the phone will accept both for wall charger and usb. If I remember correctly it's about 1.2A max for mains and .750 for usb
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shug69 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Shug69 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)