99 posts
Thanks Meter: 81

By its.mahmud, Member on 10th February 2013, 07:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st March 2013, 01:11 PM |#21  
Flag Twente
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I just found out that the Perseus Alpha kernel is supposed to support this. If you're not afraid to use custom ROMs/kernels, that might be a nice kernel to flash onto the phone and keep it updated while retaining out beloved OTG+charge mode. I'll check it out today and see if it's what it's supposed to be.

4th March 2013, 08:41 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearEMP

Heres whats inside, including the "other chip"

SiI9292 MHL-to-HDMI Bridge
The SiI9292 is integral to the design of low-power, MHL-to-HDMI accessory devices such as docking stations, converters and adapters, enabling HD video and audio connectivity between MHL-ready mobile devices and HDTVs with HDMI inputs.

-------------------------
Realtek RTD2120
Overview
This chip is the micro-processor of LCD monitor. It uses the design ware DW8051 of Synopsys as the 8051 core of this chip and is compatible with other industry 8051 series. Also, 96Kbyte FLASH with 8 bit bus is embedded in this chip which is licensed from TSMC 0.18um e-FLASH process. Here we use the package of PLCC44/LQFP48 if we would like to have a discrete MCU controller or we make a multi-chip package with our LCD monitor controller to form one chip package to save the cost of package and PCB material.
Features
􀁺 Operating voltage range : 3.0V to 3.6V
􀁺 8051 core, CPU operating frequency up to 50MHz
􀁺 4 clocks per machine cycle
􀁺 256-byte internal RAM
􀁺 512-byte external data RAM, including 256-byte DDC RAM(128-byte x 2) and 256-byte general purpose RAM
􀁺 96K-byte flash memory, 64k for program and 32k for saving parameter
􀁺 Two DDC ports compliant with VESA DDC1/2B/2Bi/CI
􀁺 Three channels of PWM DAC with programable frequency from 100K to 100Hz
􀁺 Watchdog timer with programmable interval
􀁺 Three 16-bit counters/timers (T0, T1, and T2)
􀁺 One PLL to provide programmable operating frequency and clock output, 2 clock output ports
􀁺 One full-duplex serial port
􀁺 Six interrupt sources with 2 external interrupts
􀁺 Four channels of 6-bit ADC
􀁺 Hardware In System Programming(ISP) capability, no boot code required
􀁺 Built-in Low voltage reset circuit
􀁺 Embedded 1.8V regulator
􀁺 Code protection
􀁺 Available in 44-pin PLCC or 48-pin LQFP package
----------------------------
FE1.1S
USB 2.0 HIGH SPEED 4-PORT HUB CONTROLLER
--------------------------------------------------
The PCM2704/5/6/7 is TI's single-chip USB stereo audio DAC with USB-compliant full-speed protocol controller and S/PDIF.
-------------------------------------

Thanks for sharing

I checked components of smart-dock with your pictures.
I attached it~~

SiI9292 converts MHL to HDMI format
FE1.1s operates as a USB hub
- channel 1, 3, 4 to external USB ports
- channel 2 to PCM2704 USB DAC(audio out)
PCM2704 decodes USB data packet to audio signal
RTD2120 checks Power source from micro-USB port (with ADC and GPIO)
and manages other IC components (Only GPIOs and ADC ports are used)
2 LDOs
6 port protection ICs
1 switch(Q4) IC but system don't use it (R122 is NC)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smartdock_internal.JPG
Views:	1196
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	1778185  
4th March 2013, 10:43 AM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlook73

Thanks for sharing

I checked components of smart-dock with your pictures.
I attached it~~

SiI9292 converts MHL to HDMI format
FE1.1s operates as a USB hub
- channel 1, 3, 4 to external USB ports
- channel 2 to PCM2704 USB DAC(audio out)
PCM2704 decodes USB data packet to audio signal
RTD2120 checks Power source from micro-USB port (with ADC and GPIO)
and manages other IC components (Only GPIOs and ADC ports are used)
2 LDOs
6 port protection ICs
1 switch(Q4) IC but system don't use it (R122 is NC)

Three, possibly stupid, questions:

1. Can anyone tell how the pins from the phone are wired to the parts on the board?

2. Is there something akin to the SiI9292 in the normal MHL/HDMI adapter?

3. What do you think the key component that has been missing so far is? From your description and the pics I would guess it is either the RTD2120 or the R28 resistor (or both), but I am far from an expert, and am still not 100% clear on what the RTD2120 does.
4th March 2013, 01:24 PM |#24  
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 40

More
hi guys, i have been trying to make this cable, i tried adding a 40.2k (39k + 1.2k) resistor but it wont work. tried it on my galaxy camera, if i add the resistor, i can charge my galaxy camera but otg function wont work, if i remove the resistor, otg function works normally. the gcam and s3 (international version) has the same specs, but i dunno if it has the same table for resistors to work. who is on the international version of S3 and got it working with JB 4.1.1? btw, my gcam is still on 4.1.1, any idea where to check if it supports the same resistor values for smart dock?
14th March 2013, 08:11 AM |#25  
OP Member
Flag Orlando

More
success on diy smart dock! but 4.1.1
hi everyone. just want to give an update that i was succeeded to make mhl and otg work together!
but my galaxy s3 is running on stock rom 4.1.1
here i am adding some picture.
since its working on 4.1.1, iam not updating to 4.1.2 until anyone find out how to use otg and charge the phone together on 4.1.2
thank you
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0817.jpg
Views:	1560
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	1803858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0818.jpg
Views:	1527
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	1803859   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0819.jpg
Views:	1287
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	1803860   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130314_025157[1].jpg
Views:	5396
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	1803864  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to its.mahmud For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift its.mahmud Ad-Free
14th March 2013, 11:42 AM |#26  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 249

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by necomer

hi everyone. just want to give an update that i was succeeded to make mhl and otg work together!
since its working on 4.1.1, iam not updating to 4.1.2 until anyone find out how to use otg and charge the phone together on 4.1.2
thank you

This is great!
If its working on 4.1.1, Why won't it work on 4.1.2?
Now you need to contact a manufacturer in Shenzen, and mass produce these and put them on sale!
14th March 2013, 01:28 PM |#27  

More
Quote:

thank you

Can you explain exactly what you did? Thanks.
14th March 2013, 05:57 PM |#28  
OP Member
Flag Orlando

More
Re: diy smart dock for galaxy s3
It is working in 4.1.1 but some users are saying charging and otg doesn't work together using 40.2k resistor after they update their galaxy s3 to 4.1.2

here is the video:
http://youtu.be/EFzX6NlKJBU

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to its.mahmud For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift its.mahmud Ad-Free
15th March 2013, 06:20 AM |#29  
OP Member
Flag Orlando

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackCat13

Can you explain exactly what you did? Thanks.

hi here is what i did.
i failed my 1 attempt what is in the begining of this thread.
then this time i opened a 11 pin to 5 pin adapter. it has a small resistor which is connected ground to sense pin for hdmi out put. i removed that resistor and i connected 5 extra wire in the adapter 1. vcc 2. data+ 3. data - 4. sense 5. ground ( i showed in picture) . then i connected sense and ground with a 40.2k resistor.
then the 4 wire, which i i connected in 11 to 5 pin adapter (vcc, data+,data-, and ground) , goes to a femele usb where you will connect usb devices or usb hub.
and thats it!! hope you can try it too. if if have any other question just ask me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFzX6...ature=youtu.be
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2 copy.jpg
Views:	5163
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	1806097  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to its.mahmud For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift its.mahmud Ad-Free
15th March 2013, 02:36 PM |#30  

More
Quote:

hi here is what i did.
i failed my 1 attempt what is in the begining of this thread.
then this time i opened a 11 pin to 5 pin adapter. it has a small resistor which is connected ground to sense pin for hdmi out put. i removed that resistor and i connected 5 extra wire in the adapter 1. vcc 2. data+ 3. data - 4. sense 5. ground ( i showed in picture) . then i connected sense and ground with a 40.2k resistor.
then the 4 wire, which i i connected in 11 to 5 pin adapter (vcc, data+,data-, and ground) , goes to a femele usb where you will connect usb devices or usb hub.
and thats it!! hope you can try it too. if if have any other question just ask me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFzX6...ature=youtu.be

Thanks, I will give it a shot when I have some time. Do you think there is any chance the same approach would work with the MHL 2 adapter? Having to daisy chain together 3 components (11-5 adapter, MHL adapter, and hub) doesn't seem like the most convenient approach.
15th March 2013, 05:05 PM |#31  
OP Member
Flag Orlando

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackCat13

Thanks, I will give it a shot when I have some time. Do you think there is any chance the same approach would work with the MHL 2 adapter? Having to daisy chain together 3 components (11-5 adapter, MHL adapter, and hub) doesn't seem like the most convenient approach.

i didnt get your question. what did you mean by "MHL 2" ? did you mean the 11 pin mhl adapter? if so ; i would not recommend that because you have to place the 40.2k resistor in between sense pin and ground pin. so i dont want to touch anything inside mhl adapter.
taking out an extension from 11 pin to 5 pin adapter and connect them little more conveniently is possible which i am trying now. but still you need those 3 components to make it work though.
i am not sure if i could answer your question correctly, if u post a diagram of what you are thinking ,that will be easy for me to understand
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)