FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[REVIEW]Kickstand4u by XDA member- Mouseglider: Review

794 posts
Thanks Meter: 444

By sekigah84, Senior Member on 7th January 2013, 12:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

What is the Kickstand4u™?
It is a kickstand you can apply to any device period. It is a plastic piece with 4 adjustable settings (two for phones and two for tablets) for different viewing angles and different orientations. It is attached using an adhesive sticker.

What comes with the Kickstand4u™?
The kickstand with adhesive backing(duh), alcohol wipe, installation instructions, and a spare adhesive backing.

What finishes come with the Kickstand4u™?

Clear, semi-clear, glossy black, and matte black.

Does it work with tablets?
Yes. 7" tablets and 10"+ including iPads (BOO APPLE!) Mouseglider is in the process of making an extension for tablets. Not sure about the ETA on this.

Installation & Removal:
Kickstand4u comes with installation instructions that a chimp can follow. The adhesive comes with a small strip of adhesive that you can use to figure out where to apply the kickstand. The adhesive is pretty strong as it held up a few tablets I had with no issue or signs of popping off with just a few millimeters of contact. The install on my Galaxy S3 was simple and quick and I had it working in no time at all. I had to play around with the proper placement and the correct orientation for a tablet. Tablet install instructions can be found here(http://www.remotesystems.com/kicksta...l-instructions).

Removal is a bit trickier as this is an adhesive. So some of you that don't want to slap on something to your naked phone might not want to use this. I have tried the removal off my Galaxy S3 and it sent smoothly without any sticky residue, scratches, or any gunk left behind.Mouseglider has removal instructions on his site http://www.remotesystems.com/kickstand4u-faq .

Installation: 9 out of 10 (10 is highest)
Removal: 7 out of 10

Use, Durability, Practicality, Function
Once the install was done, I was pretty much blown away by how much I actually use a kickstand. It is a bit stiff when you first use it but it breaks in after about a week of daily use. I have used many different types of kickstands from ones built into phones (Evo 4G, Evo 4G LTE, Thunderbolt) and ones built into cases (Seidio Convert, Seidio Active) and this is by far the best kickstand I have used to date. The width of this kickstand makes it ideal on different surfaces and in car use. Those thin little stands would not hold up to a sharp turn in a car. I use these on my Nexus 7 for car rides for the kids and it stays standing through all turns and stops.

I also applied two of them to my Nexus 7. My GOD this was awesome. A 7” tablet is great for watching videos in bed but I always had to hold the damn thing. I put two of these on and left it on my nightstand and it does WONDERS.(One would work just fine too but I wanted two damn it!) I now have insomnia because of this thing. I slapped it onto the back of the Nexus 7 without any issues despite the textured back. It has held on strong and I actually use my Nexus 7 more because of kickstand4u.

While the kickstand on phones is not a new idea, the ability to slap it on whatever and where ever is what makes this stand out. I'm sure you can find other uses for this on other devices. Can't get any simpler than this.

Use: 9 out of 10
Durability: 8 out of 10
Practicality: 8 out of 10
Function: 9 out of 10

Pros:
Very sturdy
4 viewing angles
Easy Installation
Different finishes for different devices

Cons:
A little long to remove but you won’t be doing it often.
Insomnia from watching stuff on your device all night long because of this thing.

Overall:
Buy it if you do a lot of video viewing or want to prop your phone or tablet up at work but don't want to buy a dock or have a dock made for your device. Awesome for movies on tablets and for flights instead of holding your tablet up.

Where can I get one?
http://www.remotesystems.com/kickstand4u-bin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ks4uintro.jpg
Views:	8980
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1624577  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sekigah84 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sekigah84 Ad-Free

8th January 2013, 05:43 AM |#2  
Flag Eagan, MN
Thanks Meter: 50

More
sekigah84,

Thank you for the great review - for those that might have a need for such a accessory - use XDA in the promo code field for 25% off if you decide to give it a try - good until 02-28-13

Thanks Again!

mouseglider
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mouseglider For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mouseglider Ad-Free
8th January 2013, 08:27 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 191

More
America ook only ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
8th January 2013, 01:41 PM |#4  
Flag Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 86

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseglider

sekigah84,

Thank you for the great review - for those that might have a need for such a accessory - use XDA in the promo code field for 50% off if you decide to give it a try - good until 01-31-13

Thanks Again!

mouseglider

Honestly, if it wasn't 3.95 to ship I would have bought one. That just seems excessive to me.
8th January 2013, 04:07 PM |#5  
Flag Eagan, MN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by htcsnap93

America ook only ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

htcsnap93,

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean when you say American "ook"? only ?

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarrmrcc

Honestly, if it wasn't 3.95 to ship I would have bought one. That just seems excessive to me.

scarrmrcc,

Thanks for the feedback, I will look into the shipping and look into the possibilty of eliminating "tracking", as right there would save you 0.85 cents.

If that might help you decide, I could also maybe put in a plain envelope and save you a few more cents.

This is a new product and I am still trying to figure everything out. But I believe you are getting a competitively priced one of a kind quality product at 50% off which puts everything at a net price to you at around $8.93 with the current shipping - includes a 1 year warranty and 60 day satisfaction return policy.

But thanks so much for the feedback - I really appreciate it!
8th January 2013, 07:01 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
I love the idea of this product, however I wonder of the designer might consider a version with the corners of the kickstand leg angled like the one on the case I've linked to below, as this significantly improves stability in landscape orientation.

8th January 2013, 07:58 PM |#7  
Flag Eagan, MN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by galt

I love the idea of this product, however I wonder of the designer might consider a version with the corners of the kickstand leg angled like the one on the case I've linked to below, as this significantly improves stability in landscape orientation.

Hello galt,

I am the designer of the kickstand4u tm - doing the blade the way your link/picture shows, doesn't really improve the stability in the Landscape position, what it does do is allow for a steeper angle when viewed in the Landscape position. This is because the blade is wide at the bottom to give it stability in the Portrait position. Therefore if the blade "did not" have that angled corner(s), the phone would be in a more upright angle which might be to upright for comfortable Landscape viewing. So by putting an angle in the blade gives the blade a less upright position for better viewing in the Landscape position. A bad analogy; think of a big heavy motorcycle, if the surface is super solid (not tar where it would dig in and thus fall over on a hot summer day), then just a pointed stick for a kickstand would provide all the stability the heavy motorcycle would need.

With all that being said, the kickstand4u tm has adjustable viewing angles to over come the need for a wide base with an angle cut in. Besides the fact that the phone doesn't weight much at all to affect the stability even if it were to be detrimental to its stability, but as I said above, it does not make it more stable with the angle cuts in the Landscape position.

The kickstand4u tm can also be mounted on your device anyway you see fit to accommodate your preference and can be installed on any device.

I thank you for the comment, as it is much appreciated. I hope I have answered your question.

Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to mouseglider For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mouseglider Ad-Free
8th January 2013, 10:30 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Thanks for the explanation.

I've placed an order, I'm very excited for this product as I consider a dual-orientation kickstand a necessity, but can rarely find good cases with this option.

Question: the site offers the product in various finishes, but the link to show them doesn't seem to work. Can you show us the finishes?
8th January 2013, 11:41 PM |#9  
Flag Eagan, MN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by galt

Thanks for the explanation.

I've placed an order, I'm very excited for this product as I consider a dual-orientation kickstand a necessity, but can rarely find good cases with this option.

Question: the site offers the product in various finishes, but the link to show them doesn't seem to work. Can you show us the finishes?

Hello galt,

Thank you for the order, I am sure you will enjoy them! But to answer your question, the different finishes are shown above at the top of this thread, post #1 - I can see them just fine on XDA, I also can see them on my website, maybe you can paste troubled link here so I can try it.

Anyway, here is the direct link to the different finishes in case all else fails: http://www.remotesystems.com/images/all%20samples.jpg

Again, thank you for the order, you will get a tracking number via email tomorrow when it is shipped.

Edited: yes, I also like dual orientation kickstands, I mean why not make full use of a kickstand if that is what you are looking for? There will be an add on extender for tablets sometime this summer that will give even more versatility to 7" tablets and above - it simply slips onto the kickstand blade and will be thin, lightweight, and adjustable. I will post pictures when final design is finished.
The Following User Says Thank You to mouseglider For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mouseglider Ad-Free
13th January 2013, 01:04 AM |#10  
Flag Eagan, MN

More
Factory Blemished kickstand4u tm available
As of 01-12-2013, I have some factory blemished kickstand4u tm available. If there is an interest, use Promotion Code "BLEM" - Promotion is good until they are gone.

The quantity is limited. They have a very small "stress blemish" when they were ejected from the mold. The "stress blemish" area does not affect the integrity or product performance in anyway, it is a cosmetic issue. They are only available in Matte Clear.

If you are interested - use the promotion code "BLEM"

So Bottom line: Retail Price = $9.95 - BLEM 70% off Discount Promotion Code = your price of $2.98 - shipping and handling = $3.95 - Your total cost = $6.93 - Yes we take PayPal.

Link to what the factory blemished units look like:

http://www.remotesystems.com/images/ks4u-blems.jpg

14th January 2013, 02:19 AM |#11  
Flag steling heights -MI
Thanks Meter: 43

More
the coupon codes are not working tried both xda and blem
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
accessories, kickstand, kickstand4u, mouseglider, stand

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)