FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Samsung MHL to HDMI Adapter not working??

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By Galaxy S3 Lover, Junior Member on 29th May 2012, 11:49 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st June 2012, 01:30 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
apparently its the same adapter as the samsung galaxy note

1st June 2012, 02:03 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Not sure if it the same as the Note one, as from what I've seen the part no. is different.

Either way in stock at MF:
S£ HDTV Adapter
1st June 2012, 08:55 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 1,005

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavers

apparently its the same adapter as the samsung galaxy note

Don't think so, my Note works with all my cables but the S3 doesn't. According to the MHL consortium manufacturers are able to implement proprietary connections to MHL if they wish, which bodes ill here... But hey! It might be an improved version right?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA
1st June 2012, 09:18 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 188

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak

It might be an improved income version right?

corrected
1st June 2012, 09:28 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 1,005

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsuya79

corrected

I agree entirely. Disappointing to see Samsung go the proprietary route, very disappointing to see the MHL consortium allow that too...

It had better deliver more charge and/or allow simultaneous USB OTG connections, if there is no benefit whatsoever to consumers I'll be giving Samsung a big serve in my review...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA
1st June 2012, 09:35 PM |#26  

More
I'm just joking , I don't know the truth yet for sure... but we saw that so many times already.

But, if this is a modification to allow a 1920x1080 full desktop mode at 60Hz in the next update (the one where the phone screen becomes a touchpad with a small icon to pop-up the on-screen keyboard) I'll apology to Samsung.

And I thought we could get this feature with ICS... still not there.
2nd June 2012, 03:31 AM |#27  
Flag cleveland
Thanks Meter: 750

Donate to Me
More
wow.. i JUST got my MHL Cable in the mail about 55 minutes ago.. i ordered it from Ebay, its an official one too.. what a freaking waste of money.. ugh
2nd June 2012, 07:41 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 426

More
Wait 1 month, knock offs that work will come out.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA
2nd June 2012, 10:22 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Lightbulb Found the cause, the S3 uses MHL v2.0
Well I found out why it's not working.

The S3 uses MHL v2.0 in which the resolution out is changed to 1080p60 (HDMI 1.4b, 8 channel digital audio) and also the power has been raised from 500mA to 900mA for half the charge time.

So all in all these changes is good but I'm not sure if it's the MHL consortium or Samsung that made the mistake and leave out backward compatible with MHL v1.0
2nd June 2012, 11:38 AM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 116

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedRat

Well I found out why it's not working.

The S3 uses MHL v2.0 in which the resolution out is changed to 1080p60 (HDMI 1.4b, 8 channel digital audio) and also the power has been raised from 500mA to 900mA for half the charge time.

So all in all these changes is good but I'm not sure if it's the MHL consortium or Samsung that made the mistake and leave out backward compatible with MHL v1.0

The MHL chip in the SGS3 isn't MHL 2.0, infact as far as i can Google, Silicon Image just made the first MHL 2.0 chip less than a week ago.
2nd June 2012, 01:37 PM |#31  

More
Indeed, was just reading this ifixit article where they label it as being Silicon Image 9244.

On this chip description page they give a max [email protected]/30 Hz which isn't anything new.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)