Hi Everyone, so I have been spending the last 3 or 4 days trying to work out how I can gain root access on my I9305.
The only thing I was able to find was horror stories of people bricking their devices...
After a lot of research (and quickly learning how android OS images work!) I was able to generate my own custom rom for the i9305.
Things to note:
THIS IS FOR THE AUSTRALIAN I9305 (OPTUS) SGSIII 4G ONLY! DO NOT FLASH THIS IMAGES TO ANY OTHER DEVICE!!!
I will not be responsible for any damage done to your device or PC(s), flashing custom rom's can be risky, so please be careful!
This will most likely wipe your phone, so make sure you backup first!
This rom is 100% stock, it does not remove any optus apps or branding,
This will NOT give you the yellow triangle at boot
the MD5 sums for the files are below
to check these, download MD5summer from www.md5summer.org
How did I do it?
I originally created an insecure boot image, flashed it to the device and tried to gain root via adb, however this did not work, so I unpacked the system image file, added the nessicary binaries and repacked it.
Once I had done this, I was able to flash the system image with odin.
What do I need to do?
1. Download Odin (you might be able to use heimdall, however I have not tested this!)
2. Download the image (3 parts, zip files)
https://hotfile.com/dl/173881708/7d5..._root.zip.html - Part 1
https://hotfile.com/dl/173888603/d6f..._root.z01.html - Part 2
https://hotfile.com/dl/173900825/735..._root.z02.html - Part 3
Direct links - big thanks to JJJohan1 for the hosting!
http://www.renscreations.com/i9305/I...XALI5_root.zip - Part 1
http://www.renscreations.com/i9305/I...XALI5_root.z01 - Part 2
http://www.renscreations.com/i9305/I...XALI5_root.z02 - Part 3
3. Unzip Odin to an easy to access place (such as your desktop)
4. Unzip the image file to the same directory.
Use either winrar (www.rarlabs.com) or 7-zip (www.7-zip.org) to extract the multi-part zip.
5. Boot your SGS in to download mode
(power off... then press and hold the power + volume down + home buttons at the same time)
6. Connect your phone to your PC using the cable that came with it.
If you are using a laptop make sure you connect it to a port on the machine not the docking station (if you have one). If your machine has USB3 try to avoid using the USB3 ports.
7. Open the Odin application
Make sure your phone is detected, there will be a yellow square in the top left corner (see below screen dump)
8. Make sure it looks similar to the below screen (same options ticked, the .tar file in the 'PDA' section)
9. Press start and wait. Your phone will be flashed and reboot when it is finished.
10. That's It, once the phone has booted you will have root access.