Please do not expect any more updates for them in future, no maintenance and no bugfixing. ***
this is the thread about the CM version of the well-known Boeffla-Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S3 international.
Note: This kernel is only for CM based roms!!! Do not install it on a Samsung based rom!!!
For Omnirom, please do not use the CM kernel but the separate Omnirom kernel I also provide.
Difference NG kernels to normal kernels:
NG = next generation, it does use pure Samsung source codes only, not the smdk4412 kernel sources of the CM or Omnirom team anymore.
If you are unsure whether to use the NG or the normal kernel, I recommend NG kernel always! Try it first if it works fine for you.
For the Samsung Boeffla-Kernel, please go HERE.
If you have questions to settings, presets, others configuration and wanna share your configuration, head over to the unofficial Boeffla-Config App Config sharing thread:
When using new anykernel concept Boeffla-Kernel: Flash stock kernel of rom first !
Important: This kernel is only meant to be compatible with official Cyanogenmod and nothing else.
So when the kernel does not run on custom rom XYZ, do not even bother me with it or ask hundred times in the thread for compatibility.
I could not care less about it !!
First read the FAQ section on the Homepage !!!
Click here to learn about all possible kernel settings in the config app.
Click here to learn about using the config app.
I will refuse any support if you do any undervolting and experience freezes or hot reboots.
I will also not provide any support if you do not use Boeffla-Config app to tweak the kernel, other 3rd party tweaking apps are known (and intended) to cause issues.
I will refuse to give support if you have xposed framework installed and reporting any kind of weird issues. My opinion to xposed it quite clear: too powerful for >90% of the users that just mess up their system with it.
(you can also access them directly in Boeffla-Config V2 by pressing menu and selecting "change log...")
Change log for CM12.0: KLICK HERE
Change log for CM11.0 NG: KLICK HERE
Change log for CM11.0: KLICK HERE
Change log for Omnirom: KLICK HERE
Change log for CM10.2: KLICK HERE
Change log for CM10.1 kernels: KLICK HERE
* Support of anykernel concept (only latest kernels) - flash stock kernel before flashing Boeffla
* To tweak and configure the kernel, manually load and install the app "Boeffla-Config V2" from here: DOWNLOAD
* Support for generic framework naming convention framework-2.jar instead of proprietary rom framework names
* Upstreamed to Linux 3.0.101(www.kernel.org)
* CPU "soft" overclocking to 1500 or 1600 MHz
* CPU undervolting interface
* GPU frequencies configurable (underclocking, overclocking up to 700 MHz)
* GPU voltages configurable (undervolting, overvolting)
* Configurable zRam
* Configurable touch-to-wake
* Configurable touch boost frequency
* Configurable early suspend time (for screen off animations, 100ms default)
* Configurable LED for fading mode, speed and brightness
* Softkey touch button LEDs controllable
* Configurable charger rate for AC, USB and wireless (default increased to 1100 mA for ac charging)
* Charge information display support via Boeffla-Config V2 app
* Charging logic supports ignore unstable power and remove safety margin
* Boeffla-Sound engine V1.6.5 to unleash the power of the Galaxy S3 audio chip
* Additional governors: zzmoove 0.7d, pegasusqplus, smartassv2 and lulzactiveq
* Governor profiles for pegasusq, pegasusqplus and zzmoove for performance, battery saving etc. (2 more zzmoove profiles added - credits to Yank)
* Additional schedulers: ROW, ZEN, BFQ (v6r2) and SIO
* Schedulers configurable separate for internal and external SD memory
* Hardcore speedmod sharpness fix implemented (default is off)
* Black crush fix for better balanced display
* SD card read ahead buffer configurable separate for internal and external SD memory (default increased to 256 kB)
* Ext4 File system tweaks (default to on, can be disabled)
* System Tweaks predefined supported (default is off, new Mattiadj tweak set included)
* WIFI Multicast filter for better battery life
* WIFI wakelock times reduction
* Proportional rate reduction for TCP
* TCP congestion changed from Cubic to Westwood
* Wifi mac address change support
* Dynamic fsync 1.2 implemented
* Timeout for external SD card changed to improve handling of crappy SD cards
* Swap supported (but not recommended, use zRam instead)
* init.d support (in /system/etc/init.d - set correct permissions!)
* NTFS (read-only access only!) compiled as a module
* CIFS compiled as a module
* NFS compiled as a module
* XBox controller support as module
* exFat support (if supported by used firmware)
* Battery monitor wakelocks reduced
* Android logger can be disabled
* Disabled various debug logs and traces
* Frandom compiled as a module (for mods like Crossbreeder)
* Triangle away supported
* Automatic EFS backup to external (priority) or internal SD Card (fallback) - now compatible with tools like kTool
* Kernel initialisation log file (with history of 3 log files)
* Emergency reset script automatically placed into /boeffla-kernel-data folder of your internal memory
* Compatibility to common standard apps (Voltage Control, SetCPU, System tuner etc.)
* Compiled with Google arm 4.7 toolchain
* Internal kernel busybox version 1.21.1
For all information and downloads (stable AND testing versions), visit the Boeffla-Kernel homepage:
Basically I created the Samsung version of Boeffla-Kernel as there was no kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S3 around that had exactly the mix of functionalities that I wanted. I wanted to have full flexibility in undervolting and charge rates for instance, but did not like the sharpness and/or brightness tweaks many kernels have implemented as per default.
Hence, I began to create my own kernel after a while, adding all the features I like. This is the result of my work, which in the end I decided to share with you. I hope you like it as much as I do.
The objective of this kernel is to have a kernel for daily use. It does not aim for best battery life, or best smoothness or best benchmark scores. It aims more for a good mix of all, not sacrificing stability and functionality in the end.
And - most important: It aims to stay quite close to stock !!! Which in fact for the CM kernel means now... close to CM kernel sources.
This said, I will definitely NEVER implement:
- dual boot (I do not need it)
- color "calibration" (I do not like it, but I like the crispy stock colours)
- real hard overclocking higher than 1600 MHz as this is outside of Exynos specs
- f2fs - it is known to cause various issues and compatibility problems
- a CAF based kernel
- anything that requires upstreaming of kernel parts to a higher kernel major version
To reiterate it again: This kernel is only for CM10.1 and CM10.2 based firmwares. It is not designed to run on Samsung based roms!
Configuration of the kernel
To tweak and configure the kernel, manually load and install the app "Boeffla-Config V2" from the downloads section on www.boeffla.de.
If you like my work, feel free to donate: Donation-Link
You will receive a personal donation code which unlocks some nice comfort functions in Boeffla-Config V2 on top.
All sources can be found in my Github repository: http://github.com/andip71
Credits to developers
Of course, I had never been able to create all that by my own. So I want to give credits to the really good developers around, that have given me all the inspiration and from which I cherry picked lots of the implemented functionalities:
... I just hope I did not forget someone. If so, please let me know and I will add you of course.
Thanks to all of you for your great work !!!
*** As always - Flash on our own risk! ***
Make sure you flash the correct version depending on your firmware version!
I can and will not take any responsibility for bricked phones or lost data.
It is generally recommended to run a complete Nandroid backup in CWM recovery and safely store your personal data before you flash a new kernel.
Cheers and enjoy